Idle curiosity about CDs

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
If we have dual-layer DVDs and dual-layer BDs, why are there no dual-layer CDs and players that can play them? It'd be awful shiny to be able to put The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway or The Wall or The White Album on one disc.

cheers,
supervij

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Because the technology didn't exist in the early 1980's. Multiple layered discs are a DVD and later technology.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
If we have dual-layer DVDs and dual-layer BDs, why are there no dual-layer CDs and players that can play them? It'd be awful shiny to be able to put The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway or The Wall or The White Album on one disc.

cheers,
supervij
And, the company can make more money selling more discs versus fewer.:D

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
And, the company can make more money selling more discs versus fewer.:D
I hate that kinda crap. I remember some Glenn Gould recordings on CBS that fit perfectly on one disc. Im pretty sure the French Suites did, maybe even the English Suites.

Sony took over, re-released them, but split them into double discs with a respective price increase. :mad:

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I hate that kinda crap. I remember some Glenn Gould recordings on CBS that fit perfectly on one disc. Im pretty sure the French Suites did, maybe even the English Suites.

Sony took over, re-released them, but split them into double discs with a respective price increase. :mad:
What can I say, it is all about the almighty $$$$, no matter if it is in Yens:D

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
Because the technology didn't exist in the early 1980's. Multiple layered discs are a DVD and later technology.
That's true -- the technology didn't exist then. But it does exist now. If we have DVD/BD players that can read a second layer on a disc, why not create a CD that has a second layer, and add that ability to read it onto the player?

Granted, there are people using actual CD players (car audio, discmans, etc.) that wouldn't be able to read that second layer. So that second layer could house demos, live versions, alternate versions/mixes. Yes, present discs can do this already, but it takes up storage space on the first (well, only) layer and means we get less new music. So you could put those extras on the second layer. Or just put a whole double album on the one disc!

They'd save money by reducing the number of discs per package, and they'd eliminate the need to manufacture jewel cases that can hold two discs. Thus they could reduce the selling price, and still come out with a sweet profit. Right?

cheers,
supervij

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
There is an embedded code for each video, to the right of the youtube screen, near the web address. Copy and paste the embedded code into your post and voila, you got youtube.
Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis