Ideas regarding recent AH Forums spam overflow

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Possibly limit new accounts - less than 7 days old from opening new threads...

Stronger Captcha on registration?

jinjuku

jinjuku

I don't think a stronger captcha will work. People are signing up the accounts and answering the captcha.

Even if you had a cooling off period they'll just adapt and wait.

I wonder if there is any black list like there is for email?

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I dunno how these work exactly, but I've registered on forums that ask questions like "What is the color of Darth Vader's lightsaber" or "What is the fourth letter in the word five?" and you have to type in the answer to register.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I dunno how these work exactly, but I've registered on forums that ask questions like "What is the color of Darth Vader's lightsaber" or "What is the fourth letter in the word five?" and you have to type in the answer to register.
While that foils bots, it does nothing to stop humans.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
While that foils bots, it does nothing to stop humans.
We could ask a bit different question :
"What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow? "
or
"Please describe in 10 words or less function of Fourth order Linkwitz–Riley crossover"

Ether would guarantee to deter most humans :rolleyes:

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Spamming has picked up a lot since the turn of the new year? Atleast that is what it seems.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
if there are tough questions like that (which requires the extra effort of googling) i would probably not sign up.

once the spammers see that they're wasting time here (their posts deleted as quickly as they post them) they'll give up OR it looks like these spammers are getting paid by a fixed time period, they'll probably stop at the end of the month or something.

Patrukas777

Patrukas777

Senior Audioholic
There is an IP spammer blacklist we report each spammer to upon banning but I'm not sure how effective it really is.
there are programs that can generate new IP addresses, making it harder to track. A lot of people use them on online RPG's. Its like everything else in life, you adapt and overcome..eventually ;)

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Cheezncrackers, it's gettin' to be like mexicans in Arizona!

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Maybe somebody is targeting the forums for some reason :/

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm so sick of this crap, I rather have registration closed for new members for now

HexOmega

HexOmega

Audioholic
Well I've tried to do my share of reporting posts but that does nothing if there's no one to act on it.

In light of that, I'll offer my services as a volunteer quasi-mod to clean up after the spammers and ban them etc. etc.. If you want my resume or anything like that, just send me a PM.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Maybe somebody is targeting the forums for some reason :/
Yeah- it's because they can. Those little dirtballs think it's funny.

A guy in/from Russia was nabbed in Vegas recently, by an FBI agent working here in MKE. The guy was reported to be responsible for almost 30% of the world's spam total and when they grabbed him, the volume dropped by a huge amount. Looks like he had a backup plan.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
How about, what is DBT?

Google it. Looks like a pretty good security question.

Answer: Dialectical behavior therapy.;);)

Don't reveal in thread.:cool:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis