Ideas on how to minimize Samson S-Convert Noise??

G

GSXR_Rider

Enthusiast
Just finished putting together a new system in a dedicated home theater/music room. I am running a Yamaha rx-v665 as a pre-amp with a dcx2496 and twin ep4000 amps. I am using a Samson S-Convert in between the Yamaha's pre-outs and the inputs to the DCX. The hum/buzz sound during quiet passages of music and movies is unbearable. I am positive the buzz is from the S Convert and the only way it is manageable is to turn the S-Convert gain down so low it is almost "off" and even then the buzzing is audible. I do not believe this is a ground loop issue either. The system is powered by twin dedicated 15 amp breakers with no light dimmer switches or appliances etc sharing the power supply. I am using dual Samson pb15 power conditioners which everything is plugged into.

I have grown so p*ssed off with the buzzing sound I ended up ordering dual rca/xlr cables from Monoprice to just bypass the S-Convert altogether. In a couple of days I will know if this cures the problem.

FWIW: I run an S-Convert in another system I own using a Yam pre-amp and twin ep2500s and do have some of the same buzz sound although I was able to alleviate almost 99% of it by adjusting the gain. There is no dcx2496 in this system where the S Convert is being used with minimal addt'l noise.

I guess I am just wondering if this god awful extra noise is just one of the pitfalls of using a bump box or is there a way around it that I am just not aware of???

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
Well I run the Samson also and I have no issues so I don't think it is the Samson but I really don't think you need the samson if you have the dcx. Also If your cable or sattelite is conected to the same outlet try unplugging the output cable of the cable or sat box and see if the humming stops. If it does then you have a ground problem or ground loop problem. Also try bypassing the power conditioner. I had one that introduced alot of noise to my system and when I got rid of it the problem was gone.

G

GSXR_Rider

Enthusiast
I don't have cable or sat running to this system but I will try bypassing the power conditioner tonight to see if that is the issue. Thx for suggestion.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis