Ideas for Floorstanders under $1000

C

chgo36

Audioholic Intern
Due to some space/layout and furniture restrictions (I wont even mention some spousal intrepidation0 I am looking to purchase a set of floorstanding speakers for around $1000 a pair. I need them to be fairly narrow, something 8" or less across to fit where they will have to go. I will be using them as fronts for a HT but will also use them for music more than half the time.

I have listened to some Paradigms and Dynaudios but by the time I got done listening I was jaded by the last pair I demo'd which were the Dyna's, not sure what model but they sold for $2800 a pair.

I am using a Yamaha RX-V663 as my AVR. Have Boston Acoustic DS265 in-ceiling rears and a Mirage center and Sub which I bought in 2001.

Would I be able to find some floorstanders that have enough Low Freq response so I would not need my sub for music?

I want to be able to listen prior to buying so I would prefer not to go with Internet companies.

My listening room is approx 15 ft wide by 22 ft long with 10 ft ceilings. As info the front speaker placement will be approx 6 foot apart, as they have to flank my fireplace.

I will check out the Paradigm and Dynas again but also looking for other suggestions.

Would consider used if I can upgrade in quality. I live in Chicago so maybe there is something available in the area to eliminate the shiiping issues.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

TjMV3

TjMV3

Full Audioholic
Due to some space/layout and furniture restrictions (I wont even mention some spousal intrepidation0 I am looking to purchase a set of floorstanding speakers for around $1000 a pair. I need them to be fairly narrow, something 8" or less across to fit where they will have to go. I will be using them as fronts for a HT but will also use them for music more than half the time.

I have listened to some Paradigms and Dynaudios but by the time I got done listening I was jaded by the last pair I demo'd which were the Dyna's, not sure what model but they sold for $2800 a pair.

I am using a Yamaha RX-V663 as my AVR. Have Boston Acoustic DS265 in-ceiling rears and a Mirage center and Sub which I bought in 2001.

Would I be able to find some floorstanders that have enough Low Freq response so I would not need my sub for music?

I want to be able to listen prior to buying so I would prefer not to go with Internet companies.

My listening room is approx 15 ft wide by 22 ft long with 10 ft ceilings. As info the front speaker placement will be approx 6 foot apart, as they have to flank my fireplace.

I will check out the Paradigm and Dynas again but also looking for other suggestions.

Would consider used if I can upgrade in quality. I live in Chicago so maybe there is something available in the area to eliminate the shiiping issues.

Any suggestions would be appreciated
Will you be able to place the front L/R speakers at least 18 inches from the backwall as they flank your fireplace?

If so, you may want to try audtioning the Jamo C607 speakers. As per the instruction/owner's manual states, they are designed to be placed at least 6 " apart and you can get very, very good bass response from their rear- bass port; with 18 " inches from the backwall.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Chicago?

Check out Saturday Audio. Check out their PSB stuff, perhaps Image line to fall within budget easily. Also check out Monitor Audio there, and with a lot of luck, they might have some RS6/RS8 around. Check out whatever else; good prices.

There is another store called Decibel Audio that I've also bought from, but Im pretty sure they are "highend" so careful about pricing, though I did get a very good price there.

I live in California. :)

C

chgo36

Audioholic Intern
Tj,

Yes, I would have about 18" behind them...will check them out

C

chgo36

Audioholic Intern
Josten,

I live about 6 blocks from the Decible store but have never ventured in. I will check them out along with the PSB stuff.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis