W

WkidOne

Audiophyte
Hi All,

I was wanting some help specific to my set up if possible. I am running an Onkyo 727 Receiver and recently purchased some KEF Q500 Floorstanders. I have been playing with the crossover to the sub and fronts.

I have run the fronts as Full Band and manipulated the sub crossover (sub only goes to 80 as lowest setting?)
I have run the fronts at 80 and sub at 80 and also the fronts to 60 and sub at 80 to allow some overlap.

What is the most appropriate configuration? (Appreciating of course what I hear is important as there's a taste aspect).

Any help appreciated otherwise I'll phaff around with this forever.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
You don't want to "double filter" with crossovers.

Either use the sub crossover or the Receiver crossover, but not BOTH at the same time. If the sub doesn't have a CX bypass or defeat switch, then crank the sub CX to the highest available setting and use the receiver CX only.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
To add to what slipperybidness states above (i.e., bypass the subwoofer crossover if possible, otherwise set it at its highest frequency setting and use the receiver's crossover), since the -3dB point on your main speakers is 40 Hz, you will want to set the receiver's crossover above that. You may want to try 60 or 80 Hz. Which is more appropriate depends on what subwoofer you have, and how loud you play things (basically, the higher the frequency setting, the lower the demand on the main speakers' woofers, so they will play louder with less distortion at a higher setting, but the subwoofer then must deal with those frequencies below whatever setting you select).

The automatic setup can be used for the levels and delays.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The purpose of a crossover is to minimize overlap, so creating a situation where you have it isn't good :) The x-over on the lower frequencies is nearly always steeper than the mains so that the mains roll off more gradually while the sub rolls off quickly and this because the sub is more easily localizable than the mains will be. I agree with trying 60hz first and see how well they blend; I am guessing that would be the better choice, but it depends on the sub too. If that doesn't sound right, switch to 80hz.

W

WkidOne

Audiophyte
Thanks - should I run the fronts on full band or set a specific crossover? (Currently trying 80 on Fronts and 80lpf on sub)

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks - should I run the fronts on full band or set a specific crossover? (Currently trying 80 on Fronts and 80lpf on sub)
Unless your subwoofer only goes down to 40 Hz, you should be running the fronts with a crossover and let the subwoofer deal with the deep bass for the front channels. If you send the entire front channel signal to the front speakers instead, you will not be getting much of the bass below 40 Hz in those channels, because your front speakers are not capable of giving you much below that frequency. The point of a subwoofer is to give you the deep bass that your other speakers cannot give you (if they can, you don't need a subwoofer). So use a crossover and send the deep bass to the subwoofer. 80 Hz is fine, but you may wish to also try 60 Hz. It may or may not be any better, but if you don't want to play with it, you can leave it at 80 Hz, which is fine.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Turn the sub crossover to the max position and only control it with the reciever!

W

WkidOne

Audiophyte
Turn the sub crossover to the max position and only control it with the reciever!
Sorry. Sub doesn't have crossover, only receiver. Though, I have the choice of 80-120 for the sub and full band and 40+ in increments of 10 for the fronts

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Then this sub is most likely passive and most of what we told you goes out the window. My advice: get yourself a new powered sub, then follow the advice given here.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis