idea for a Audioholics article: mid range room correction shootout

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would be very interested in seeing how well different room correction implementations on the big receiver makers fare against each other. Something like YPAO vs MCACC vs Audyssey Multi EQ vs EZSet/EQ. Perhaps something like take a measurement of all of them in the same room with the same speaker setup and listening positions. I am sure a lot of people would be very interested in the results of something like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
I think this is going to have a bit of limited utility unfortunately. I as well would be interested to see how much difference there is between them, but I don't know if you're really going to be able to see which one is objectively better based upon measuring. This will probably come down to subjectives, which are pretty...ehh..

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I think this is going to have a bit of limited utility unfortunately. I as well would be interested to see how much difference there is between them, but I don't know if you're really going to be able to see which one is objectively better based upon measuring. This will probably come down to subjectives, which are pretty...ehh..
I'd also be concerned that results among the various programs (in terms of picking a winner) might vary by room.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I wouldn't want to bring a subjective measure in, I would say just take a reading of the end results and see how flat the FR is. Different rooms and setups might vary the quality of the results though, so maybe the tests should be tried in a few different rooms and configurations. Anyway, this is just wishful thinking on my part, I am sure that no manufacturer would consent to a shootout with objective results. For the hell of it, lets throw that Sherwood receiver with trinnov into the mix, might as well while we are fantasizing about gaining some comparable data.

G

Grador

I'd also be concerned that results among the various programs (in terms of picking a winner) might vary by room.
Forgot about this factor. I know experimentally the YPAO version from my rx-v765 works far far better in some rooms than others.

Another complicating factor, experimentally i know it works better with some speakers than others as well.

There may just be to many factors for an experiment like this to yield useful results.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Since each brand EQ S/W has a different target transfer function, it would be impossible to quantify the differences and/or to differentiate what was better sonically..

Just my $0.02... ;)

G

Grador

I wouldn't want to bring a subjective measure in, I would say just take a reading of the end results and see how flat the FR is. Different rooms and setups might vary the quality of the results though, so maybe the tests should be tried in a few different rooms and configurations. Anyway, this is just wishful thinking on my part, I am sure that no manufacturer would consent to a shootout with objective results. For the hell of it, lets throw that Sherwood receiver with trinnov into the mix, might as well while we are fantasizing about gaining some comparable data.
The problem is none of them are going to be perfect. Past that there will be a subjective call as to which of them failed in a way that was less detrimental, and objective measurements aren't going to give you that.

G

Grador

I found a great article on Anthem's ARC

Anthem Room Correction (ARC) System - Part 1 - Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

From what I have read a majority of systems who utilize the Audyssey Multi EQ downgrade HD 96khz signals to 48khz. This includes my Integra 80.3 and the AV8801 I was comparing it against. I am curious if any sonic impact would be realized by this that my ears could pick up.
My guess would be yes, not necessarily because 48 is insufficient but because resampling can screw audio quality.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis