I wish I was a fanboy - DefTech

R

reallybadname

Audiophyte
Brand spankin' new here! Love the site, cant get enough of all the testing, reviews, and opinions. Seriously, I can and have killed hours upon hours indulging in all the great info. Now, on to my dilemma....

Has anyone else ever wished that they were a fanboy? It just struck me today that I could probably have saved a lot of time trying to decide on a receiver. What I would do with that time is a mystery, but that's not the point. I have spent the last month digging and digging AND DIGGING on forums for what I should buy. As soon as I decide on any one receiver, I'm right back hunting for another. It wasn't a total waste of time though, since I learned so much along the way. But, still no purchase.

As many of you know, Definitive Technology has been running a promo for a lot of their gear. That promotion will be over by the end of January 2013. The BP8060st towers, 8040hd center and 8040 surrounds caught my full attention. I began scouring the web for any reviews and info available. I couldn't find any "definitive" reasons not to buy them. I would have preferred to audition these speakers in person, but I'm stuck in the middle east (military) and when I see $1000 in free speakers, its too hard to pass up. I'm currently using the THX Onkyo HTIB with a fried HDMI board, so I'm convinced that the difference alone will put to bed any questions about whether I made a good choice. So.... Purchased! Cant wait to get home and just stare at them for an hour or five.

After my 5 hour admiration, I'll probably be wanting to hook them up. Hence the entire reason for this post. I would love any input on matching these DT's with a receiver. I can eliminate Onkyo from the equation. The aforementioned fried HDMI board happened about 5 months after purchase, and although I'm fully aware that there is no such thing as an electronics company that has never made a faulty product, I just cant bring myself to buy another receiver from them. Call it a "fool me once, fool me twice" issue.

There's as much as $1500 for the lucky company that gets my business. It will be used almost entirely for movies and games, but sometimes I get drunk and like to pretend I'm Ronnie James Dio in my living room...... maybe to much detail. ANYWAYS, what I mean is, I DO appreciate the tunes played loud from time to time. The same goes for movies and games, I love getting a completely immersive, large soundstage thrown at me while remaining composed enough as to not miss some of the finer points, you know - sound that gives you chills. Basically, I need a receiver that can bring out the full potential in these speakers. I'm aware of the 92 db at 1 meter spec on these speakers so I understand that they will work with a wide range of power, but I want as much sound as I can get from them. If there are any current owners with pleased results, I would greatly appreciate the input. My main concern is the sound out of this device. Any details as far as multiple zones or video conversion is irrelevant - I'm just gonna hit pass-thru. I'm leaving the choice wide open to any manufacturer.

Really do envy the fanboys, Thanks again Audioholics Anonymous

Oh, and the rest of the gear; oppo 103, 50" samsung plasma, an Xbox 360, and a really nice waffle iron.

Bryceo

Bryceo

Banned
Yamaha RX-A1020
<cufon class="cufon cufon-canvas" alt="Your " style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; text-indent: 0px !important; display: inline-block !important; position: relative !important; vertical-align: middle !important; font-size: 1px !important; line-height: 1px !important; width: 40px; height: 16px; "><cufontext style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; display: inline-block !important; width: 0px !important; height: 0px !important; text-align: left !important; text-indent: -10000in !important; ">Your</cufontext></cufon><cufon class="cufon cufon-canvas" alt="Price:" style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; text-indent: 0px !important; display: inline-block !important; position: relative !important; vertical-align: middle !important; font-size: 1px !important; line-height: 1px !important; width: 44px; height: 16px; "><canvas width="57" height="16" style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; position: relative !important; width: 57px; height: 16px; top: 0px; left: -1px; "></canvas><cufontext style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; display: inline-block !important; width: 0px !important; height: 0px !important; text-align: left !important; text-indent: -10000in !important; ">Price:</cufontext></cufon> <cufon class="cufon cufon-canvas" alt="$1,099.95" style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; text-indent: 0px !important; display: inline-block !important; position: relative !important; vertical-align: middle !important; font-size: 1px !important; line-height: 1px !important; width: 73px; height: 16px; "><canvas width="81" height="16" style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; position: relative !important; width: 81px; height: 16px; top: 0px; left: -1px; "></canvas><cufontext style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; display: inline-block !important; width: 0px !important; height: 0px !important; text-align: left !important; text-indent: -10000in !important; ">$1,0911</cufontext></cufon>

Last edited by a moderator:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I used to own the DT BP7000SC. Even a 50wpc HK AVR did a great job because the speakers had built in amps for the subs. So anything with 100WPC x 7ch is good. Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, HK.

R

reallybadname

Audiophyte
Thanks Bryceo, I actually have been looking at the Yamaha's a lot. Almost went ahead and bought the 2010. Would it be better to have the extra power with the 2010 vs the 1020? because the 2010 is on sale on amazon

R

reallybadname

Audiophyte
I used to own the DT BP7000SC. Even a 50wpc HK AVR did a great job because the speakers had built in amps for the subs. So anything with 100WPC x 7ch is good. Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, HK.
So would there be no difference in sound (not talking about subjective quality of sound) from a 50 wpc receiver and a 125 wpc receiver?

Bryceo

Bryceo

Banned
Thanks Bryceo, I actually have been looking at the Yamaha's a lot. Almost went ahead and bought the 2010. Would it be better to have the extra power with the 2010 vs the 1020? because the 2010 is on sale on amazon
If its on sale for the right price then yes, I did a quick google search of you pop on over to the Yamaha website you can compare the to,
In power function etc,

R

reallybadname

Audiophyte
Never mind that last question AcuDTguy, I see what your saying about the HK, what Im really asking is whether it would be worth it to shell out extra for more power, like something with 125 or 140 wpc

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm a sucker for big sales. So if the 2010 is on big sale, then I would get that. :D

I think power is very overrated and that's why I gave the example of the 50wpc HK + BP7000SC speakers, which has a minimum impedance of about 3 ohms under 500 Hz somewhere. The big woofers require the most power, not the tweeters & midrange. Since the subs already have their own internal amps, you won't need that much power for the tweeters & midrange.

But I can't resist big sales. :D

I know that Electronics Expo will deal with you on the phone. They have sold the Denon 4311 for $1225 delivered, Denon 3312 for $600 delivered, and 3313 for $800 delivered. All brand new.

See if they have any Denon 4311 in stock. Or Denon 3312 or 3313. Also ask about the Yamaha 2010.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis