highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi
I have B&W 803D2 and Marantz 8802A
My budget is from 500$ >> 900$

What do you think?
Do I have to pay more than that
You certainly can pay more, but I would want to know how many albums you have, whether you plan to buy only new, used or a mix of the two. If you plan to buy many used or only used albums, plan to also buy a good record cleaner and be prepared to hear a good amount of noise unless you will be paying top dollar for pristine examples. If you plan to buy mainly new albums, a record cleaner is still a good idea but I wouldn't use a Discwasher type with some kind of liquid in a bottle. There's plenty of debate about this (go figure!) but water doesn't dry very quickly and it's not a good solvent for some of what's in record grooves, which is mainly release agent from the manufacturing process (often silicone-based).

If I was new to vinyl, I would start small and find out if I really liked it enough to spend a large sum of money. The Orbit tables are considered to be good value but personally, I would upgrade the cartridge a bit. I like Audio Technica, but a cartridge that sells for $35 on the open market is nothing special. I would start with an AT-120E or if you want something definitely better, their AT-150ML is a great one. It's more expensive, but still a great cartridge. Ortofon 2M Red or Black are excellent, too. Not terribly expensive, known for their excellent sound.

BTW- buy from someone who knows turntables, not from someone simply because they sell these. A cartridge needs to be matched to the tonearm in order to track the groove properly.

Icecube

Icecube

Enthusiast
Thank you for your reply...
I appreciate it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Thank you for your reply...
I appreciate it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FWIW, it's not rocket science, either. Keep the records clean, don't touch the surface, keep the needle clean and enjoy the music. It's not quite the same as playing CDs, though. It takes a little time, but reading the jacket is a lot easier and if you care to learn about the bands, it can be interesting.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I bought my current turntable back in 1979. It was my fifth since my first turntable purchase in 1974. I should have saved for my last turntable purchase, buying it first instead of buying up. It would have been less expensive in the long run. In other words, audition or trust a highly qualified review before you buy any of the so called "entry level" turntables. BTW, what makes a record sound its best is not so much the turntable today as it is the tonearm/cartridge.

I use my turntable today to digitize albums I have in my music library. I do not see it has any other useful purpose. If you do not already have any LP's you'd like to digitize what would be the point of buying a turntable? You will not get better sound. Certainly, while sometimes I cannot distinguish between music on CD and LP there always seems to be a few annoying pops attached to LP's which diminish my pleasure with the medium.

Interestingly, I have a means of digitizing LP's which can eliminate annoying snap, crackle, and pop; but, digitizing is a time consuming processes, usually taking a few hours to get the LP into iTunes. I do not know what your leisure time is worth but it may be better spent to just buy a CD of what you already have on LP if a CD version of your LP is out there.

My turntable is a Sony PS-4750 with a Shure V15 type V-MR cartridge. When I am playing a very clean record the sound can be indistinguishable from CD; but, CD is usually better than LP in most any way the concept of better can be discerned.

Last edited:
KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I have a $500 turntable (including the cartridge) and that's really close to the bottom level I'd suggest. The amp and speakers you have are probably deserving of a little more. The place to look seems to be http://www.needledoctor.com/ and they have quite a good range of options. I think the Rega RP1 & RP3, Pro-Ject RPM3 & 1Xpression, Music Hall MMF2.3 & MMF5.3 are all good examples of baseline units that will please.

C

class a

Junior Audioholic
I would suggest you go to a dealer for your TT. The dealer will set up your TT usually for free. And if you have some problem they are available locally to fix any problem.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Yup...and I know where both you and I would go...and I did a couple weeks ago. :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis