I want seperates! Tube or SS?

john72953

john72953

Full Audioholic
Hi John,

Have you posed this question at other forums? I'm sure there are other forums out there that will give you completely different opinions on this subject.

First, let me state that I'm not into tubes at all. I don't have them in my system now, though I used to have a tube in a Cal Audio Labs DAC. I do use them in guitar amps, but that's totally different.

So, without being an expert, I would imagine that there are tube amps out there that will suit ones needs based on their speakers and listening habits. I don't think that it's necessary to clip a tube amp, if it's played within its limits. The other technical arguments against tubes? I'm not sure if they matter or not -- it would take a lot of time, reading and research to fully understand everything that's been said thus far.

Regarding having a "transparent" and "neutral" system without any coloration whatsoever -- I'm not sure how much that matters, either! A better goal for which to strive might be a system whose sound you enjoy. I believe all systems will have some coloration to them, especially due to speakers, and there are many ways to enjoy music playback. There are so many measurements, tests and rules for all this... it definitely takes some of the fun out of it for me. I've been reading some photography sites, and one guy suggests that it's not important to create a perfect representation of what you've seen, but rather an piece of art of your own. Although somewhat different, the same goes (IMHO) for an audio system. It's an experience in putting pieces together. Otherwise, if we go on suggestions here, we'd all end up with something like this OnkyoReceiver->MonopriceCables->BehringerEP2500 because it'll measure perfectly and is the biggest bang for the buck. Well, maybe that's true and maybe it's not, but it doesn't make for much fun in this hobby.

So just go out and listen to tube and solid state products at your local dealers. Listen to the cheapest tube amps and the most expensive and see what differences you find. Same with tube vs. solid state.

And, yeah, there are lots of pieces out there that will get you in under $5k for preamp and amp.

Good luck!
I've touched on the subject at other forums as well, but not at length. I will though as time goes on, as I like reading what people have to say about things.

Regarding the technical aspects (i.e. measurements, specs, graphs, ect) they can be usefull I suppose. However, I personally don't analyze them to death barring a few important details. Specs are only specs and I've heard some highly-rated equipment that just didn't do it for me. I take them with a grain of salt at best. My ears are the ultimate factor in any decision I make. If it sounds good to me......than that product is the right one!

I haven't yet started the auditioning process as I'm just at the beginning stages and only trying to get some ideas/opinions/suggestions.

John

wire

wire

Senior Audioholic
The whole concept of tube being superior to solid state is false. They are demonstrably inferior. They can however be high priced tone controls for deficient speakers.
I think tubes , I love my tube amp . I find it much different sound than any of my SS models . Which i have midrange SS amps ( 1 Bryston and 2 Carver ) , I like the Tube Amp sound the best .

wire

wire

Senior Audioholic
I've just shelled out for a new Turntable (Marantz TT-15S1), which completes my budget for this year. And now its time to save up for a 2-channel power/preamp combo for the rest of the year and possibly into 2010.

I'm undecided as to whether to go for a tube-combo or Solid-State (if that is the right terminology). My budget is $5,000 CDN ($4,000 USD).

Because I have a preference for analog as opposed to digital, I would be inclined to try and find something that is tube-based. I understand, from reading, reviewing, researching, etc., that my budget may not be adequate for that. Thoughts? Direction?

One of the products I am considering is the PrimaLuna Prologue Seven Monobloc's and matching PrimaLuna Three Preamplifier. This would bring me over my budget, but I'm prepared to wait for the preamp (as I can use my existing Yamaha HTR-6190B). The 2-channel setup will eventually be a seperate setup (speakers after that).

Whether Tube-based or not....any recommendations?

Much appreciated.

John
You could go with a Tube Pre and SS combo , look into a Sunfire Amp .

wire

wire

Senior Audioholic
The responses so far have suggested that Tube Gear is really not all it's cracked up to be. I would love to hear some opposing viewpoints (and I'll do my own researching over the weeks/months ahead), because without it all I have is a one-sided opinion.

If in fact the posters so far are correct, then tube equipment would not enter into my equation of equipment choices. And if I can spend less money than what I've budgeted, all the better (leaves more room for speakers)!

Thanks so far for your input!

John
This forum is mostly into low end to midrange recievers . I was not a believer in Tube until i was blessed to get one from this forum , now i do know from experence , Tubes are very plesant .

john72953

john72953

Full Audioholic
This forum is mostly into low end to midrange recievers . I was not a believer in Tube until i was blessed to get one from this forum , now i do know from experence , Tubes are very plesant .
Ouch! I think you may be expecting some backlash here! I know I did when I brought up another "uncomfortable" subject! But that was then and this is now.

Make no mistake my friend...no one and I mean no one on this forum or any other will convince me to choose something with which I disagree. I will be the ultimate judge of my choices. However, I will do so after having asked for opinion and choices, because I would never pretend to know it all.

Two very dear friends of mine are into tube gear and I have another 3-4 that aren't, but each of their systems sound wonderful. I have noticed that the "tube" sound (call it introduced distortion or colorization) is something that is very pleasing to my ears.

I still want to consider every other avenue and that includes the possible combo (tube/ss) situation.

John

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.

I haven't yet started the auditioning process as I'm just at the beginning stages and only trying to get some ideas/opinions/suggestions.

John
That is a good way to do it. The more informed one gets, the better the choice should be. What's the rush?:D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Ouch! I think you may be expecting some backlash here! I know I did when I brought up another "uncomfortable" subject! But that was then and this is now.

Make no mistake my friend...no one and I mean no one on this forum or any other will convince me to choose something with which I disagree. I will be the ultimate judge of my choices. However, I will do so after having asked for opinion and choices, because I would never pretend to know it all.

Two very dear friends of mine are into tube gear and I have another 3-4 that aren't, but each of their systems sound wonderful. I have noticed that the "tube" sound (call it introduced distortion or colorization) is something that is very pleasing to my ears.

I still want to consider every other avenue and that includes the possible combo (tube/ss) situation.

John

You may be interested in this experiment, post 5:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.audio.opinion/browse_frm/thread/664b8681ab141263?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&rnum=1&prev=/groups?q=sunshine+stereo+yamaha+abx+nousaine&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=501fl6%24ac3%40oxy.rust.net&rnum=1

wire

wire

Senior Audioholic

John
Yes
It is what is pleasing to your ears , not scamatics .
I dont have a tube pre / SS combo , but mine is SS pre / Tube amp .
Also look into Sunfire Amps for SS . They might be the closest your gonna get to a tube like sound out SS .

john72953

john72953

Full Audioholic
How do you guys feel about Conrad-Johnson gear? I just discovered a dealer here close by that sells this line and I've heard good things about them over the years.

Also, is anyone familair with Vincent amps?

Thanks much,

John

M

mnnc

Full Audioholic
My suggestion would be to purchase a Vincent hybrid. You get the best of both worlds at a respectable price. Check agon or audio advisor for new. Cayin can be had on the cheap and resell is good if purchased prev owned.

john72953

john72953

Full Audioholic
My suggestion would be to purchase a Vincent hybrid. You get the best of both worlds at a respectable price. Check agon or audio advisor for new. Cayin can be had on the cheap and resell is good if purchased prev owned.
agon is pretty much out of the question for me as I'm in Canada and the exchange rate isn't very favorable, plus the shipping and stuff. Additionally, I really want to buy new, not used.

You seem confident about Vincent gear...why is that? Personal experience?

John

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis