I want a new digital camera. Help!

T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
Hey, folks. I would like to take advantage of the BF sales to pick up a new digital camera. Right now I have a RCA that I got ripped off on, I mean bought a few years ago that I just loathe. The display is so bad that I can barely see it in the dark.

I don't know too much about them and am soliciting help with two or three options to check out before the big day. I won't print too many pics off of it, just mainly download them onto the computer for now. Who knows about later. I'm figuring 4mp or better would be fine. I understand that optical zoom is preferred over digital. I would like to keep the price around a Ben Franklin, if possible. I don't mind spending another 50 if their is a huge increase in quality. You get the picture (pun intended).

Let me know what you think!

Thanks,
Dukester

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Depending on what you're looking for you can't go wrong with Canon. What you are going to look for is an at least a 3x optical zoom (forget digital zooms) and compatibility with one of the two common memory standards - compact flash or secure digital. Sony memory stick and xD card are too proprietary and expensive.

Highlander

Highlander

Full Audioholic
I understand that optical zoom is preferred over digital.
Yes. As Sholling says, target optical zoom over digital zoom, although it's unlikely you'll be able to find a camera without the latter. Basically just ignore the digital zoom feature of a camera, the reason being that unlike an optical zoom where what you see through the view finder gets enlarged or reduced based on physical movement of the lens(es), with a digital zoom all the camera is doing is 'stretching' the picture - with a resulting loss of pixel resolution. A digital zoom always kicks in after the camera reaches the end of it's optical zoom capability.

:)

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I am a big fan of the Panasonic Lumix cameras. I have a 2MP model from 2002 and it is still going strong after some pretty nasty drops. It takes great pictures for a 2MP camera. I'm looking at the FZ8 and the FZ18 with the 12x optical zoom. All of their cameras have optical image stabilization.

A great resource for information and very in-depth reviews is Steves-Digicams.

G

Gasman

Senior Audioholic
Hi-Ho, you really think Steves are in-depth? (granted I posted a link to the site)
I find his reviews just easy to read (mainly for novice), not technical at all (more subjective).
For more objective tests, I find dpreview to be one of the better sites.
Example, here is that FZ18 http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz18/page6.asp

But that's just me.;)

B

bwaslo

Audiophyte
Second vote for the Panasonic Lumix models. You can get a large optical zoom and image stabilization for not really much money at all. We have two of them (previous years' models, 6x zoom, 5Mpixel, spent under $150 on each) and have not had a single problem, not even from the one that got water leaked all over it in a backpack mishap (at least after it dried out). The picture quality is outstanding and ease of use is about as good as it gets.

The Canon's I've seen (and one I borrowed) are nice, too, though larger for the same features and tend to use proprietary batteries (the Lumix uses AA alkalines, a definitely recommended feature). Also more expensive.

pzaur

pzaur

Audioholic Samurai
Panasonic Lumix

I third the vote for the Panasonic Lumix cameras. I have one and my parents just purchased the newer model of my camera. 10x zoom and it's pretty straight-forward to use. I also like the software that comes with it.

Cameras with 10x zoom and more

Panasonic Lumix TZ3 (Available in different colors)

-pat

J

jake5717

Audioholic
I think picking out the right camera is just like picking out the right pair of speakers. You need to get down to BB or CC or Sammy's and audition the cameras. A few years back I was in the market for a point and shoot and after doing all the online research I was pretty sure I was going to buy a Canon, but after auditioning I found that that Fujifilm F10 was the right camera for me and I haven’t been happier.

At work we use Nikon point and shoot I have a ton of experience with those and they all seem really fragile so I would recommend getting any of their ‘L’ series cameras.

Good Luck

T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
Thanks to all the replies. Jake, that is kind of what I was going to do, just wanted to get some ideas of which ones to take a look at. Just like speakers, also, sometimes the salespeople will sell you what they can make more money on. Good to have other's opinions on what has worked for them.;)

T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
Thanks to all the folks that posted on this thread. I just bought a Cannon A570IS and some rechargeable batteries;) Now to learn all the digital stuff:confused: What can I say: I'm a dinosaur that loves his 35mm slr:) Kind of hard to download those photos, though. For some reason doing a JC Mighty Carnac impersonation holding the photo up to the screen just doesn't quite work:confused: , and I don't own a scanner.

G

Gasman

Senior Audioholic
Certainly Canon are good. But to imply that they are superior to "everything else"? Hmm.:D
Agreed.:rolleyes:

I just bought a Cannon A570IS.
Looks to be very logical and well thought out, good choice. :)
Great starter digital camera, with a little bit of time with it, you will certainly be very handy when needed.

Don't fret on calling, or PM if you think I can help.;)

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks to all the folks that posted on this thread. I just bought a Cannon A570IS and some rechargeable batteries;) Now to learn all the digital stuff:confused: What can I say: I'm a dinosaur that loves his 35mm slr:) Kind of hard to download those photos, though. For some reason doing a JC Mighty Carnac impersonation holding the photo up to the screen just doesn't quite work:confused: , and I don't own a scanner.
Carnac! Duke you crack me up! I can just see McMahon "youuuuuu're correct sir! That's the best camera! Carnac: "May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits!"

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
You could always get a DSLR later :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis