I voted this morning

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
... I'm very busy with work so getting someone to watch the kids and taking the time to write in someone's name just didn't seem worth it.
Is there mail in ballots or early voting there? Write in is not helping anyone, not even the person one writes in.
I really don't think Trump will do anything to screw up trade or even net neutrality. I don't think he actually fully understands a lot of the promises he made and when he does get that understanding his position will change. Just like all other campaign promises. Hopefully.
Scary stuff.
There were candidates that I thought I liked, but then they didn't get the party nominee. I really don't like the idea of only having two legitimate choices. Seems like we're being cheated out of someone who could potentially make good changes to help the country. Not just for presidency either.

Kinda makes me feel a little sad and hopeless. But, where I live is pretty great and I have a good family so that cheers me up. Plus you guys are all pretty awesome so there's still hope. :)
I don't think in our form of government, additional parties would work, unlike a parliament type system as in England where you become part of a coalition. Don't know how it operates but perhaps the larger party is where the PM comes from.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't think in our form of government, additional parties would work, unlike a parliament type system as in England where you become part of a coalition. Don't know how it operates but perhaps the larger party is where the PM comes from.
Our form is pretty much their form, different names. I don't think our political parties being whittled down to two from multiple when "our form" of government was implemented is any better than what we see when corporate interests boil down to two competitors.....

cel4145

cel4145

Audioholic
I just looked at the latest numbers on wikipedia.

Trump 59,438,580 votes, 47.5% of the total
Clinton 59,647,621 votes, 47.7%
Independents 4.8% of the total

Wikipedia goes on to say "The US Elections Project estimates that 128.8 million Americans cast a ballot in 2016, out of 231 million eligible voters — a turnout rate of 55.6 percent."

Their estimate is a little high. If Trump & Clinton got 95.2% of the total votes, that becomes about 125 million votes cast. Out of 231 million eligible voters, that becomes a 54.2% turnout.

Twice in the last 16 years the Electoral College has failed by picking as winner the candidate with fewer votes on a national basis. Both times the total voter turnout was on the low side.
And, as you point out,

I'm embarrassed too. But ultimately, the public (includes voters and non-voters) gets the government it deserves.
Unfortunately in this situation, it looks like the majority of voters will be stuck with the government that the minority deserves :(

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Anyone else been watching CNN this evening? There are massive protests in several major cities -- NYC, Chicago, Philly, LA, Seattle... all united in opposition to the result of this election. It's a completely futile act of course, a tale told by idiots, full of noise and fury, signifying nothing. Trump will be sworn in on January 20 even if the entire country had a change of heart and joined in the protests. The office is his for the next four years.

But God bless 'em! God bless the hippie chick with her hairy armpits lobbying to have California secede. God bless the ambiguous-gendered person of south Asian decent afraid his family will be deported. God bless the morons who climbed on top of a charter bus outside Trump Tower. And God bless the cops who are keeping their distance and letting the protests continue while still keeping everyone safe. I wish I could buy them all a beer!

I'm as astounded as everyone else about the results of last night's election. But until this evening I was missing some validation for my disappointment. I mean, well, I've got the people I work with, I've got you guys of debatable quality, and I see the popular vote numbers. But seeing all those thousands of people participating in civil disobedience gives me profound validation. I'm less frustrated, like I've found a bit of closure. And I know no matter how bad things get, hairy armpit girl will be ready to be ridiculous on national TV again to give voice my disenchantment far better than I could give myself.

Maybe it's just the stark contrast. Last night was a night of horror and uncertainty. Outside of wars, terrorist attacks, and other times of violence, last night can be counted as one of the most despicable nights in recent American history in my mind. Tonight, on the other hand, the massive non-violent protests have demonstrated a shining example of the freedom that makes me proud to be American. Despite the embarrassment that is our President elect, I remain a patriot. Thank you millennials!

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Anyone else been watching CNN this evening? There are massive protests in several major cities -- NYC, Chicago, Philly, LA, Seattle... all united in opposition to the result of this election. It's a completely futile act of course, a tale told by idiots, full of noise and fury, signifying nothing. Trump will be sworn in on January 20 even if the entire country had a change of heart and joined in the protests. The office is his for the next four years.

But God bless 'em! God bless the hippie chick with her hairy armpits lobbying to have California secede. God bless the ambiguous-gendered person of south Asian decent afraid his family will be deported. God bless the morons who climbed on top of a charter bus outside Trump Tower. And God bless the cops who are keeping their distance and letting the protests continue while still keeping everyone safe. I wish I could buy them all a beer!

I'm as astounded as everyone else about the results of last night's election. But until this evening I was missing some validation for my disappointment. I mean, well, I've got the people I work with, I've got you guys of debatable quality, and I see the popular vote numbers. But seeing all those thousands of people participating in civil disobedience gives me profound validation. I'm less frustrated, like I've found a bit of closure. And I know no matter how bad things get, hairy armpit girl will be ready to be ridiculous on national TV again to give voice my disenchantment far better than I could give myself.

Maybe it's just the stark contrast. Last night was a night of horror and uncertainty. Outside of wars, terrorist attacks, and other times of violence, last night can be counted as one of the most despicable nights in recent American history in my mind. Tonight, on the other hand, the massive non-violent protests have demonstrated a shining example of the freedom that makes me proud to be American. Despite the embarrassment that is our President elect, I remain a patriot. Thank you millennials!
God bless Tiny Tim.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
There's always a silver lining. With the GOP in full control of all three branches of government, deregulation and greed could push us into another global recession. And maybe when people realize that 3 of the past 4 Republican administrations will have driven us into recessions, liberals and moderates can finally convince the electorate that trickle down economics will never work as it's been pitched, and we can return to the Eisenhower days of building up the middle class again.

Of course for that to happen people have to lose their jobs and their homes again. And conservative media will find a way to spin the blame elsewhere. They'll do as they've always done and convince the lower-middle class that it's welfare and social security that are driving us into our financial struggles.

But still. We get the righteous satisfaction of proudly proclaiming, "I told you so." There's lemonade somewhere in these lemons. Isn't there?
This is a long-ish read, but it provides a quite plausible explanation as to how the Democrats dropped the ball.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/10/how-democrats-killed-their-populist-soul/504710/

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
This is a very interesting interview with Amy Goodman and Glenn Greenwald. Skip to the second bookmark dot near 14 minutes. Mr. Greenwald voices profound insight about the failed efforts of the Democratic Party and mainstream media resulting in Trump's election.
Personally, I don't think this event is so much about the Republican Party doing things right or the Democrats doing things wrong as it is about Trump. It is not like he is really a champion of the Republican Party. I'd bet if the Republican Party knew he was bound to take the presidency, they would have reacted early on before the primary to eliminate him; as is, I suspect they have no small concern about what he will do!
Trump is indeed a wild-card (or loose cannon, if you prefer). One saving grace is that he obsessively desires to be a winner and this may apply to his role as president.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I believe anyone trying to understand how our country could possibly elect someone like Trump will find this video useful.
This is an excellent commentary on the "Trump phenomenon", how it happened and where it may lead. I like that he addresses thing on a more fundamental level of human needs/emotions/objectives rather than narrowing it to political bullet points.
It is a 24 minute video
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/tavissmiley/interviews/thomas-friedman/

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Y'all tickle me. Neither the Republicans nor this election was about race, gender, sexuality, etc, etc, etc. This election was about big intrusive government. It has become too big, too intrusive, and far exceeded the reach intended by our founders or acceptable by its people.

So all the analysis and all the whining tickles me.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Poor, poor, Hollywood and the entertainment industry. All that self-perceived importance and pats on the back with special invites for naught. All those millions in fundraisers for nothing. And what will Energy Secretary DiCaprio do?

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
This link has a perspective that IMHO is the most plausible: http://www.intellectualtakeout.org/blog/everyman-election-pollsters-didnt-see-coming

Whatever the result of the United States election, politics has been “changed, changed utterly,” to use the words of the poet W.B. Yeats on Ireland after the 1916 Easter Rising. And not just in America. Across the Western world, there is a rising anger at “the system.”

‘The fed up and determined’, or better yet, ‘the fully engaged’. We are, after all, a Representative Republic, and the time has come to stand up, speak out, and collectively activate to make a difference that’s been long promised by politicians but never delivered. Things have only grown worse for the left out and left behind, the jobless and over-regulated and over-taxed, the everyday American trying to serve and survive and meanwhile, earning less and being strapped with higher prices for fewer choices for healthcare, if they’re working at all. Paying more property taxes and sales taxes and other costs companies have had to add to pay for the over-regulation, themselves.

And this article: http://www.intellectualtakeout.org/blog/you-want-racial-politics-well-give-you-racial-politics

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Y'all tickle me. Neither the Republicans nor this election was about race, gender, sexuality, etc, etc, etc. This election was about big intrusive government. It has become too big, too intrusive, and far exceeded the reach intended by our founders or acceptable by its people.

Wow! Are you simply trying to be hurtful? Has politics consumed you such that you find glee in the distress of your friends?

Is that really where you are coming from?

I mean, I know we disagree on politics, but I still always considered you a teammate in helping inform and advise people on audio, and a friend.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
This link has a perspective that IMHO is the most plausible: http://www.intellectualtakeout.org/blog/everyman-election-pollsters-didnt-see-coming

Whatever the result of the United States election, politics has been “changed, changed utterly,” to use the words of the poet W.B. Yeats on Ireland after the 1916 Easter Rising. And not just in America. Across the Western world, there is a rising anger at “the system.”

‘The fed up and determined’, or better yet, ‘the fully engaged’. We are, after all, a Representative Republic, and the time has come to stand up, speak out, and collectively activate to make a difference that’s been long promised by politicians but never delivered. Things have only grown worse for the left out and left behind, the jobless and over-regulated and over-taxed, the everyday American trying to serve and survive and meanwhile, earning less and being strapped with higher prices for fewer choices for healthcare, if they’re working at all. Paying more property taxes and sales taxes and other costs companies have had to add to pay for the over-regulation, themselves.

And this article: http://www.intellectualtakeout.org/blog/you-want-racial-politics-well-give-you-racial-politics
That is pretty close to the link I provided and agrees with my comment that this election was about Trump, not Republican/Democrat. That is Trump in the sense of what he represents as "anti-political establishment".

For me, the shock was that someone as undisciplined as Trump (appears to be) could pull this much of the vote. Certainly a hell of a lot of unrest!!!

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
IMHO this election was not about Trump.
Many people were sick of All Politicians, Government Corruption, News Propaganda and Paid Protesters.
Trump is imperfect, non scripted, not a career politician. It spoke volumes when both Democrats & Republicans (all on the gravy train) resisted Trump. A corrupt systems craves the status quo.

I view Democrats and Republicans as simply different wings on the same vulture.
Please enjoy reading my favorite link regarding politics:
Why People Are Irrational about Politics: http://www.owl232.net/irrationality.htm

cel4145

cel4145

Audioholic

I think most of us could agree with part of this. It was painfully obvious that issues of "race, gender, sexuality" and freedom of religion were NOT what approximately half the voters were focused on.

But hey. I am a white, upper middle class heterosexual male American from a Christian upbringing. I guess I'm supposed to be pretty happy that white America elected a candidate that privileges me above other races, gender, sexuality, and religions. No one will stop and frisk me. Yet, somehow, I just feel ashamed. :(

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis