i need the best tower for death metal!!!

#1gamecock

#1gamecock

Banned
i just got the athena ls500's... i am very happy with them. but..... i want something bigger and better! i will scrape all the cash i can get my hands on and dump the furniture upside down for couch cash, just to score killer towers. i need some recommendations on some killer towers for metal. i plan on buying an external amp to push my towers for music only

Matt34

Matt34

i just got the athena ls500's... i am very happy with them. but..... i want something bigger and better! i will scrape all the cash i can get my hands on and dump the furniture upside down for couch cash, just to score killer towers. i need some recommendations on some killer towers for metal. i plan on buying an external amp to push my towers for music only
Start looking at some pro-audio speakers would be my advice.

H

Highbar

Senior Audioholic
What do you feel is lacking from the the athena's? Do you just want more volume or is there something missing in the music? I know from most of my listening that a lot of metal has a very pronounced low end and a good sub can help out a lot (personal I found that metal hit my subs much more than hip-hop or rap back when I used to have a system in my Toyota). You might want to think about looking into one.

T

#1gamecock

#1gamecock

Banned
What do you feel is lacking from the the athena's? Do you just want more volume or is there something missing in the music? I know from most of my listening that a lot of metal has a very pronounced low end and a good sub can help out a lot (personal I found that metal hit my subs much more than hip-hop or rap back when I used to have a system in my Toyota). You might want to think about looking into one.

T

havent got a chance to really crank my athena's... sooo far the kick-drum is pretty good. kinda lacking in midrange. alot of the metal i listen to the guitarist drop dune their guitars to A and B. that's pretty damn low... i need a speaker that can pick up all those low guitar riffs without sounding muddy. also the tweeters have nice detail, but they kinda taper off... the cymbals don't follow all the way through. i think i would like a tweeter with a little more seperation with a hint of airy tone.

G

Gatsby191

Audioholic
Though I don't see them mentioned much on here, you may want to check out "Electra Voice".(used in commercial and some pro audio set ups too from what I remember)
A few years back, I was living down in Florida(for about 4 years), and we went to someone's house for a small party. The guy who owned the house turned out to be a huge Metal Maniac. He was running Electra Voice(my spelling may be off)speakers for his Metal especially, as he put it.
He seemed very happy with those speakers, and I couldn't get the blood to stop pouring out of my ears once we left there.:eek:
Give them a listen, maybe you'll like them too.
BTW, that's not your phone that's ringing... :D
Good Luck! Joe B.

M

malovich

Audioholic Intern
let those Athenas break in for a few more days of listening, they will sound soooooo much more smooth(i know this from experience). You should also consider how the speakers are situated in the room and whether or not you have sound treatments behind the speakers as well as having ample room behind the ports. Give the Athenas a chance and wait a few weeks before your sure you want to upgrade. Take a look at the JTR Triple 12LF speakers, really expensive but very very cheap for what they are.

Last edited:
walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
I would check out the Klipsch Heritage Series, they crank. Primus sounds real good on them.
http://www.klipsch.com/products/lists/heritage.aspx

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Are you sure what you want actually exists?

havent got a chance to really crank my athena's... sooo far the kick-drum is pretty good. kinda lacking in midrange. alot of the metal i listen to the guitarist drop dune their guitars to A and B. that's pretty damn low... i need a speaker that can pick up all those low guitar riffs without sounding muddy. also the tweeters have nice detail, but they kinda taper off... the cymbals don't follow all the way through. i think i would like a tweeter with a little more seperation with a hint of airy tone.
What speakers have you heard that match your expectations?

Sometimes, personal expectations don't match what reality can offer.

C

calnbs

Audioholic
let those Athenas break in for a few more days of listening, they will sound soooooo much more smooth(i know this from experience). You should also consider how the speakers are situated in the room and whether or not you have sound treatments behind the speakers as well as having ample room behind the ports. Give the Athenas a chance and wait a few weeks before your sure you want to upgrade. Take a look at the JTR Triple 12LF speakers, really expensive but very very cheap for what they are.
For over a year since I got my speakers, nothing has caught my attention until these JTR came along. I wish I was able to compare them to my current speakers. Sometimes, I wonder.....is it REALLY THAT GOOD or is it just the Flavor of the month?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Then go for it.

klipsch rf83's... very nice speaker!
No need to petition for other. Problem solved! Just make sure you gots a lotta good, clean watts if you wanna feel dat bass.

But you might as well get used to the fact that you ain't gonna get it for $300/pair.

Last edited:
MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Though I don't see them mentioned much on here, you may want to check out "Electra Voice".(used in commercial and some pro audio set ups too from what I remember)
A few years back, I was living down in Florida(for about 4 years), and we went to someone's house for a small party. The guy who owned the house turned out to be a huge Metal Maniac. He was running Electra Voice(my spelling may be off)speakers for his Metal especially, as he put it.
He seemed very happy with those speakers, and I couldn't get the blood to stop pouring out of my ears once we left there.:eek:
Give them a listen, maybe you'll like them too.
BTW, that's not your phone that's ringing... :D
Good Luck! Joe B.

Electro Voice.

They make some nice stuff, but, man, not in my home :eek: You'd have to have a very understanding girlfriend or wife to get that one to pass.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis