I need a GREAT 2 channel power amp! What is great? Or two monoblocks...?

M

mibson

Audioholic
I have a pair of PSB Platium T8s. I love them but Im currently using a 10 year old Yamaha RX-V1 to power them. This is a very good receiver but not enough for these speakers to really sing.

What would be your suggestions for a great 2 channel amp for these speakers?

Im looking for something with lots of power, at least 200+ wpc of nice clean power. I did think about a XPA-2 from Emotiva but now that my budget has increased I want something GREAT! Not that emotiva is not great but my UPA-2 does sound worse than my RX-V1 that is just clearer and more defined sound...

Im thinking somewhere around $1000 (for XPA-2) or even up to $4000 for something amazing.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Emotiva XPA-2 should be fine, but if you are thinking monoblocks, then I'd say Outlaw 2200s.

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
I'd get something like a Crown XLS1500 or a Yamaha P2500S or P3500S. Personally, I think high cost amps score pretty low on the sound improvement to $'s spent ratio. Measurement gear would also be handy to validate that the UPA's sound worse than your RX-V1. :)

Even if you 2x the power you have now, you're only gaining 3 dB. So, if they aren't singing now, maybe the problem is the room/speakers combination...

M

mibson

Audioholic
Great input thus far...

Thanks for the input. I do know that Im running this RX-V1 as hard is it can go and that does not work for me.

Im lucky enough to have a very good large theater room, and I do plan on doing significant acoustical treatments. But I also know I need to upgrade my amps. Not that I need it much louder but my amp clearly gets stressed with these speakers at higher volumes.

The sound difference between the Yamaha and the UPA-2 is CLEAR. VERY CLEAR. These have been blind tests with various people and myself. Keep in mind this RX-V1 is a good receiver.

M

mibson

Audioholic
I'd get something like a Crown XLS1500 or a Yamaha P2500S or P3500S. Personally, I think high cost amps score pretty low on the sound improvement to $'s spent ratio. Measurement gear would also be handy to validate that the UPA's sound worse than your RX-V1. :)

Even if you 2x the power you have now, you're only gaining 3 dB. So, if they aren't singing now, maybe the problem is the room/speakers combination...
I do understand 2x power can gain me only 3db but certainly if Im pushing my amps to stress levels and with transformer power capacities, this is not the main factor.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
One of the best 2 channel amps that I have ever owned was from this 350a__reference_amp company.
Some of the specs are quite good. High input impedance, low output impedance, claims to be a perfect voltage source from 8 to 4 ohms. The SNR, assuming it's rated below full power, is just so-so, but then they ruin everything by claiming that high quality internal wire improves fidelity! Gong! :)

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
The sound difference between the Yamaha and the UPA-2 is CLEAR. VERY CLEAR. These have been blind tests with various people and myself. Keep in mind this RX-V1 is a good receiver.
If the differences are that apparent, IMHO, either the Yamaha is defective, or the speaker presents a load that the Yamaha cannot properly drive.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Some of the specs are quite good. High input impedance, low output impedance, claims to be a perfect voltage source from 8 to 4 ohms. The SNR, assuming it's rated below full power, is just so-so, but then they ruin everything by claiming that high quality internal wire improves fidelity! Gong! :)
To me it was one of the best amps that I have ever owned. Bought it in 84, I had the Belles 100. I had that amp turned on for 13 years and never a problem. Never did turn it off. And actally sold it on Agon back to Hollywood Sound where I origionaly bought it. I regret selling this amp to this day.

M

mibson

Audioholic
If the differences are that apparent, IMHO, either the Yamaha is defective, or the speaker presents a load that the Yamaha cannot properly drive.
At higher volumes teh Yamaha cannot properly drive these speakers, yes. Thanks why Im buying new amps. The UPA-2 also cannot properly drive these speakers past 65% output...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My Marantz is it the same boat. 120W rated, but can't handle my 4 Ohm speakers in my large room. The XPA-2 is an easily noticeable improvement, but then again, when I listen, I do tend to listen pretty loud. At "normal" levels, the Marantz is fine.

S

saeyedoc

Junior Audioholic
If I was going to buy an amp right now, I'd probably get a Wyred4Sound or d-sonic. Ideally I'd get someone to make me one with the new Hypex module. The Crown or other pro amps are probably the best bang for the buck though.
I wouldn't mind giving up my big,heavy, difficult to move Parasound amp for a smaller, lighter Class D one.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
My Marantz is it the same boat. 120W rated, but can't handle my 4 Ohm speakers in my large room. The XPA-2 is an easily noticeable improvement, but then again, when I listen, I do tend to listen pretty loud. At "normal" levels, the Marantz is fine.
Perfectly understandable, and it was the same with my recent upgrade. I needed more power. But within the power envelops of the lower power amps they sounded pretty much identical, except that the Levinsons hissed through the tweeters at idle (inexcusable in their price range).

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would get a Crown XLS2500
+1

I have 2 of these Harman Crown XLS 2500 DriveCore amps.

440wpc RMS 8ohm x 2ch, 775wpc RMS 4ohm x 2ch, 1200wpc RMS 2ohm x 2ch.

XLS Drivecore™ Series

Noise floor - like Emotiva and many amps - has slight hiss sound if you place your ear on the tweeter, but silent from 6" out.

Fan noise - silent from 6" out.

SQ: excellent.

3yr warranty, and weighs only 10lb each! :D

The ATI amps are dead silent on the noise floor (no hiss even with ear on tweeter), but weighs 100+ lbs!

Amplifiers

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Im looking for something with lots of power, at least 200+ wpc of nice clean power. I did think about a XPA-2 from Emotiva but now that my budget has increased I want something GREAT! Not that emotiva is not great but my UPA-2 does sound worse than my RX-V1 that is just clearer and more defined sound...
You sure the problem isn't in the preamplifier section / gain staging? If so then you'll have problems no matter what external amps you add.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
+1

I have 2 of these Harman Crown XLS 2500 DriveCore amps.

440wpc RMS 8ohm x 2ch, 775wpc RMS 4ohm x 2ch, 1200wpc RMS 2ohm x 2ch.

XLS Drivecore™ Series

Noise floor - like Emotiva and many amps - has slight hiss sound if you place your ear on the tweeter, but silent from 6" out.

Fan noise - silent from 6" out.

SQ: excellent.

3yr warranty, and weighs only 10lb each! :D

The ATI amps are dead silent on the noise floor (no hiss even with ear on tweeter), but weighs 100+ lbs!

Amplifiers

My totems speakers are 200 wpc channel.. would this amp be too much for my speakers?....as long as i don't crank it i guess?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My totems speakers are 200 wpc channel.. would this amp be too much for my speakers?....as long as i don't crank it i guess?
Yeah, as long as you don't crank it to 120dB. :eek:

I've used the XLS2500 on my P362 in the family room for hours @ 90dB and no problem at all.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
Yeah, as long as you don't crank it to 120dB. :eek:

I've used the XLS2500 on my P362 in the family room for hours @ 90dB and no problem at all.
sweet... 500 bux u said?

the more clean power the less chance of damaging your speaker I guess?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
sweet... 500 bux u said?

the more clean power the less chance of damaging your speaker I guess?
These amps also have Peak Limiters that provide maximum power output while protecting your speakers, which is nice. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis