I May lose my Audioholic card for this but...

I

Irishman

Audioholic
What is the difference between Auralex's Gramma and their Subdude? It seems like they do the same thing.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Afterlife is correct.

The size is different.

Subdude = 15x15x2.5
Gramma = 23x15x2.75

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
Yeah, just size. Both rmk and I found some benefits to placing them under subwoofers. Neither of us expected any benefit. There did seem to be some improved bass coherency, but, I think mainly its just there was less mechanical transfer to the floor.

Also makes heavy subwoofers easier to move (Gramma's have handles under them, at least mine do) - for that alone I found them worth it. Screw moving 100-lbs+ subwoofers lol.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
What is the difference between Auralex's Gramma and their Subdude? It seems like they do the same thing.
They are the same in the sense that neither have a shred of evidence to support their claims about improved performance. If they worked, there would be evidence of it somewhere. So really they work in the same way $5k audio cables treated with quantum dust improve the treble from your speakers.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
They work very good at keeping any vibration isolated to the sub it self. I does not make it sound better it just keeps the rest of your room from vibration that can deter the listening experience. Different rooms will benefit differently in each application.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
They work very good at keeping any vibration isolated to the sub it self. I does not make it sound better it just keeps the rest of your room from vibration that can deter the listening experience. Different rooms will benefit differently in each application.
It only works if the sub is vibrating through the cabinet. First, if the cabinet itself is vibrating it usually indicates a poorly made subwoofer. It's either not braced well enough, not damped enough, or both. Second, if it is vibrating through the cabinet, it can be solved with $20-40 worth of Sorbothane from Amazon.

I

Irishman

Audioholic
They are the same in the sense that neither have a shred of evidence to support their claims about improved performance. If they worked, there would be evidence of it somewhere. So really they work in the same way $5k audio cables treated with quantum dust improve the treble from your speakers.
What I would be using them for is vibration isolation, so that sound in my bonus room setup (over the garage) doesn't transfer to the garage, and doesn't make the windows rattle, etc.

You're saying they don''t do that? Yours seems to be a lone voice among those who say that the subdude and gramma do that quite well, no snake oil consumption required.

Your comparison of $5000 cables to a $50 subdued seems misplaced here, if you're just trying to save me money.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I use the original subwoofer packaging white foam - it's the quite sturdy type - Yeah I know it's a ghetto solution, but I have not got any complains neighbor below me about the sub :)
I call it a mission accomplished. (yes, I know there is a flaw in this logic, but I don't care)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
So have you actually tried one or you are just making comments? If you haven't tried them then your comments are about as useful as the quantum dust.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
So have you actually tried one or you are just making comments? If you haven't tried them then your comments are about as useful as the quantum dust.
You are correct, I do not have a ready anecdote on standby as rock solid evidence to back up my claim.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Unlike Rocks which you place on cables and other snake oil. These pads are a) cheap b) have solid physics principle behind them
I haven't tried one so I don't comment, but I am sure it will look much better over white padding foam :)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Unlike Rocks which you place on cables and other snake oil. These pads are a) cheap b) have solid physics principle behind them
I haven't tried one so I don't comment, but I am sure it will look much better over white padding foam :)
I've done the same thing with the DIY packing foam ones. All you need is a piece of wood and the foam and you've got it basically. Other than the Auralex being much more sturdy, it still does the same thing.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
These pads are a) cheap b) have solid physics principle behind them
They aren't cheap, they are small sheets of polyurethane foam being sold for $50. Here is a mattress sized piece being sold for $45 shipped. Here is a good sized chunk for $15. Or you could go to any foam packing place and get a subdude sized sample for free. As for the physics, how does a 100 to 300 gram part oscillating at say, 15 mm 35 times a second in a 50 lbs braced, damped cabinet going to vibrate loose stuff on the walls? A sneaky mechanical chain of contact from the cabinet to the floor to the wall to the shelf to loose object x? Or, directly through vibrating air, like what a subwoofer is made to do? Furthermore, physics is a science, and science relies on repeatable quantifiable observations for validation, which is not something subwoofer isolation pads have in their favor.

You would think in such a objectively weighted audio site there would be just a slight bit of skepticism about over-priced gimmicks with zero evidence behind it, but I guess isolation pads get a pass because they sort of seem 'sciencey'.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I have a subdude and gramma. Great for keeping me from hitting the subs with my vacuum. Haven't noticed any difference in the reduction of vibration or rattling or whatever. Things sound the same with or without them.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
They aren't cheap, they are small sheets of polyurethane foam being sold for $50. Here is a mattress sized piece being sold for $45 shipped. Here is a good sized chunk for $15. Or you could go to any foam packing place and get a subdude sized sample for free. As for the physics, how does a 100 to 300 gram part oscillating at say, 15 mm 35 times a second in a 50 lbs braced, damped cabinet going to vibrate loose stuff on the walls? A sneaky mechanical chain of contact from the cabinet to the floor to the wall to the shelf to loose object x? Or, directly through vibrating air, like what a subwoofer is made to do? Furthermore, physics is a science, and science relies on repeatable quantifiable observations for validation, which is not something subwoofer isolation pads have in their favor.

You would think in such a objectively weighted audio site there would be just a slight bit of skepticism about over-priced gimmicks with zero evidence behind it, but I guess isolation pads get a pass because they sort of seem 'sciencey'.
You don't see results because everyone's house and what they have in them are different. Different subs, different flooring, different furniture, things on the walls, not on the walls, treated/untreated rooms etc... So the results will vary a bit. I've given my observations MANY times, though with no "measurements" to provide "science" with an answer, but the real world, audible result for me in two of my setups were the same: other things vibrated less. My previous sub was down firing, applying pressure immediately toward the floor, which was carpet over concrete. I figured I'd try it and much to my surprise, there was an audible benefit. This sub originally sounded like it overhung and vibration lingered. I thought that was just how it sounded, however I had heard it in a friend's house before I bought it and it didn't sound like that. In this room there were two closets on the opposite wall 24ft away, both of which rattled violently with tones in the teens to mid 20s, to the point where while testing, I would leave them cracked open. After the Gramma, no vibration. In my bedroom, things would vibrate on the wall. After the the Gramma, no vibration. Bass in the room seemed to actually be reduced, but only a portion of the tactile, not the actual sound or SPL, so my conclusion then was that the pad and a REAL effect and what I was hearing was the sound the sub was producing and not other things around the house vibrating. This was a large sonotube 15" beast capable of a ton of output.

Sold that sub and moved to the Empire - a small, sealed, dual opposed 15" with a very well built cabinet. Just by the nature of the design, it produces less vibration to transmit, and is side firing. I tried this one with and without the Gramma and there was zero difference. So to say that it doesn't work is a bit misleading. I am convinced it will yield a benefit in situations where transmitted vibration is an issue.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I've given my observations MANY times, though with no "measurements" to provide "science" with an answer, but the real world, audible result for me in two of my setups were the same..
How many times have I read that statement before? There is a good reason why anecdotal evidence is not used as scientific data. If you want to believe that bass isolation pads make a difference, you are welcome to do so. Your attempts to convince anyone else of their efficacy should be taken with a large grain of salt on account that they have never ever made a verifiable improvement anywhere. But then again they are charging $60 for a 15"x15" foam mat, sounds to me a lot like charging $100 for a 6' copper cord, so maybe presenting an objective case is not in their financial interest, as they are making a killing over there.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis