I just cannot decide between these subs... Need solid advice!

N

Nishik

Audioholic Intern
1 x SVS PB-13 Ultra
or
1 x HSU ULS-15
or
2 x Elemental Designs A7S-450's
or
1 x Seaton Submersive
or
1 x (Pair) Elemental Designs P7-650
or
2 x Dragons

N

Nishik

Audioholic Intern
If a few of us can agree on 1 kind of sub, its going to be easier for me to make a decision.

Matt34

Matt34

I like a two sub solution so my vote would be for the two Dragons. If you only have space for one sub, then the submersive.

S

septim

Audioholic
I would get a submersive. Supposedly it easily outperforms dual Ultras.

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'm voting for duel subs, if you can do it properly, it will make a better experience for all listeners.

N

Nishik

Audioholic Intern
Dragons are powered by only 600 RMS though. The EDs are powered buy 1300 RMS... Aren't EDs supposed to be more powerful?

no. 5

no. 5

Dragons are powered by only 600 RMS though. The EDs are powered buy 1300 RMS... Aren't EDs supposed to be more powerful?
Without knowing the sensitivity of the drivers in question, assumptions of output are rather pointless. And the frequency response curves and power compression characteristics have much greater influence over sound quality. And besides, if all other things were equal, that 700 Watt difference is only about a 3dB difference in maximum output.

Chopin_Guy

Chopin_Guy

Senior Audioholic
There have been some questions in the past as to ED's quality control--as I know there are a couple members who have had issues with them.

Nonetheless....don't let an amplifier power rating sway your decision...there are a myriad of other factors that go into how a sub performs. That being said, a sub with a 1,200 watt amplifier is by no mean 'better' than a subwoofer with 600 watts. It comes down to driver specs, cabinet design, overall efficiency of this design...and the list continues...

As to your pics:

1) If you want *one* sub then I would go with the Seaton

2) For a dual sub configuration at your price range....go with the Dual Dragons...

N

Nishik

Audioholic Intern
I am leaning towards the ED A7S-450's.. I dont know why but the 18" and 1300w RMS is pulling me towards itself, and it weighs about 150 lbs each, so that tells me its going to be like a tank and i can't go wrong.

I am definitely planning to go for dual subs, it makes more sense for me to get dual because its going to provide even base all through the room.

Initially i was really attracted towards the SVS and the HSU, because i have been reading up on the topics and have found out that they are the two most favorites on this forum website. I am still considering them though, for some reason i can't let them go off my list.

I am also getting very good feedback about the submersive, but the specs say its a 15" with a 1000w amp. Its not really attracting me towards it because i think the ED A7S-450s are better than the submersive because of their 18" design with a 1300w amp, so for me they are more powerful than the submersive....? IDK, i might be wrong.

Similarly, the P7-650s are only 13" each.

Finally, the Dragons.. are only powered by 600rms. So i am not feeling strong about them either.

I might be totally wrong on my assumptions, please correct me wherever i am wrong.

Thank you

PS: Whatever i go with, i just won't be able to wait for them to be placed on each side of my 50 inch!

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Don't judge a sub by it's amp power, there is no direct correlation between amp power and the sub's performance.

Chopin_Guy

Chopin_Guy

Senior Audioholic
You have already been told that amplifier power ratings mean next to nothing when having to take many other things into consideration in overall design and parameters...and seems to still be the only thing you are basing your decision on...:rolleyes:

Not to say the ED isn't a good sub, but the Dragons have a better +/-3 dB anechoic response of 20 - 300 Hz...the Seaton from what I have read is measured +/-3 dB anechoic below 20hz....if you are going to base your decision purely on numbers---these are numbers that mean more than amp power rating....

no. 5

no. 5

Don't judge a sub by it's amp power, there is no direct correlation between amp power and the sub's performance.
Yep, driver size can be misleading too, there is at least one 8" driver out there that can shame many 12's. A person really cannot be certain of a subwoofer's performance without having access to relevant measurements, as Chopin Guy brought out.

N

Nishik

Audioholic Intern
See thats the type of response i was really looking for, it just makes more sense to me now.
Btw, i read your post after posting me last one.

You have already been told that amplifier power ratings mean next to nothing when having to take many other things into consideration in overall design and parameters...and seems to still be the only thing you are basing your decision on...:rolleyes:

Not to say the ED isn't a good sub, but the Dragons have a better +/-3 dB anechoic response of 20 - 300 Hz...the Seaton from what I have read is measured +/-3 dB anechoic below 20hz....if you are going to base your decision purely on numbers---these are numbers that mean more than amp power rating....

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Out of your list, I'd probably go with dual Dragons.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I'm a fan of the Rythmik subs and there is a 15" model in the same price range as the Dragon. Although I find their subs very musical, I don't think it'll have as much output as the Dragon. The Rythmik Signature Edition is a lot prettier though!

N

Nishik

Audioholic Intern
I am looking for a sub that has good output.

I have been told:

The Ultra and P7-650 are both underhung drivers which will give you better sound quality. The Hsu is underhung with XBL^2 (supposedly) technology which further lowers distortion. The A7S has the standard 18" eD driver which is an overhung design. I'm not sure about the drivers in the Submersive or the Epik. But with Epik, the drivers are made by Fi Car Audio which is a plus in my book.

If you want output, then the 2 A7S subs with a parametric EQ would be my choice. For pure sound quality I'd go with the Hsu, SVS or P7 with a nod going to the Hsu because of the XBL^2 driver.

N

Nishik

Audioholic Intern
Ugh.. the Dragon people are charging $165 shipping for 2 Dragons Subs.. i don't like that!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis