I have one shot at this: Speaker Wires are going in the wall!

G

g0bez

Audioholic Intern
We are in the process of finishing the basement and we are about 2 weeks from burying the surround sound cables in the wall. I was getting ready to order 100' of "14AWG CL2 Rated 2-Conductor Loud Speaker Cable" from Monoprice, and then happened to think... these aren't coming out easily if I get this wrong. So... time to ask the experts!

I am confident that this is the right cable for my home theater, but what I'm worried about is that these are going to be crossing near some power runs in the ceiling (where there weren't any before) and I want to make sure I'm not going to hear that in the speakers.

So my question is: Do I need to get some sort of shielding on the cables? And if so, what would be your recommendation?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
We are in the process of finishing the basement and we are about 2 weeks from burying the surround sound cables in the wall. I was getting ready to order 100' of "14AWG CL2 Rated 2-Conductor Loud Speaker Cable" from Monoprice, and then happened to think... these aren't coming out easily if I get this wrong. So... time to ask the experts!

I am confident that this is the right cable for my home theater, but what I'm worried about is that these are going to be crossing near some power runs in the ceiling (where there weren't any before) and I want to make sure I'm not going to hear that in the speakers.

So my question is: Do I need to get some sort of shielding on the cables? And if so, what would be your recommendation?
Always put conduit in the walls and put the cables down the conduit. Never place a wire for HT you can't easily replace.

G

g0bez

Audioholic Intern
Ok, fair enough. Assuming I run this through conduit (which I believe our contractor was planning on anyhow), but I just don't want to buy the wrong cable that I'll have to replace shortly after the setup is done. What would you say about the question at hand: should I be considering shielding of some sort?

Or were you suggesting that the conduit would contain/be the shielding?

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
The thing you want to avoid most is running power and signal cables parallel with each other. It's usually tough to avoid their crossing at some point, so try to keep it to a minimum and give them some vertical separation where they cross each other.
Cheers, Mac

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Conduit, assuming it's metal as most is, would provide all the shielding you would need.

But, as Mac says, try to not run them parallel and have them cross at as close to right angles as possible and not laying directly on top/under power lines. That sould be sufficient for speaker cables. Interconnects would be a different matter.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Metal conduit is often a conductor of noise and electrical signals. You should not be using conduit that is metal unless it is properly grounded to remove interference. In almost all situations, it is not necessary to have any conduit in place at all if you pay attention to your wire runs. Try to run the speaker wires away from power wires and cross at a 90 degree angle if possible. Your speaker wire gauge should be excellent for things it seems like. The main reason to run conduit is not to protect from EMF but to allow for wires to be retrofit into place if necessary. For speaker wires, this is almost never the case, but I often will pull 14/4 wiring instead of 14/2 wiring so that I have spare conductors available to allow for doubling up if I want or to bi-amp if I want. There certainly is a minimal cost impact to do such.

Keep in mind any OTHER areas you may even possibly want wiring and speakers run at this time. Before a basement is sealed up you can get speakers to many locations that you won't ever have access to again. Outside, different basement spaces, even the main floor. You should also consider your equipment location and think abut whether it truly meets your needs for what you are trying to achieve. I rarely recommend theater gear go into a theater, but try to find a better spot to hide the gear and give room for it to make noise and breathe as it needs to, preferably in an unfinished space... which complicates wiring a fair bit.

I would not personally go with conduit to speaker locations, but I would loop wiring in a manner that allows versatility for speaker placement... on-wall, in-wall, towers, etc.

Don't forget, your subwoofer will need a power outlet right next to it and it may be worthwhile to run for a couple of subwoofer locations.

G

g0bez

Audioholic Intern
The shape of my basement is such that it only has one possible orientation for the theater, and with the exception of one of the 7 speakers (which I'm still trying to figure out...), it has a drop-dead obvious layout. So I'm not terribly concerned about the placement of the wire runs to the speakers -- I'm confident in that for now and the future. The only future-proofing I have been really debating is 14/4 vs. 14/2... and you're right, the relative cost is minimal to go with 14/4 right now, compared to the pain / time / cost to re-run it later.

Thanks everyone for your replies -- that is some really great advice from a couple of different perspectives... I knew I'd find it here!!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis