I have digital Comcast...is it possible...

P

PetesPonies

Audiophyte
for me to ad another difital box, just like the one I already have, without Comcast "helping" me? They refuse to allow me to use my own box. They want me to rent theirs!! So, I'm sure it has been covered alreay a million times, but is their a way for me to hook up this new box? I hate having to rent a box from them. Help!

Try to find out if they will be supporting CableCARD technology now or in the future - that's the way we're all going to get better quality hardware options (not to mention better picture.) The difference is like night and day and was demoed at CEDIA with standard NTSC content.

P

PetesPonies

Audiophyte
OK, but what will that do for me, the CableCARD tech?m I just want to be able to use another difital box in my home :eek:)

U

Unregistered

You cannot buy your own set top box if you are going to use the services of Comcast (or any other cable provider for that matter). If you buy your own box and connect to the cable network, it will not be able to decrypt or unscramble any scrambled channels because it is not authorized. It will only be able to receive un-encrypted, unscrambled channels (like basic cable); in other words the same channels that the tuner in your tv can receive.

That's what the CableCARD is for. If they support it, they'll sell you the digital services and the card and you can plug it into any compatible box you want.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis