I hate to do this ...but

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Since the PSBs may not work out. Can everyone throw out what they would buy for mains.

1. < $1000
2. Towers with a smaller footprint (no square box) Thin and deep with nice boxes
3. Need to be front ported. I can only go about 7 incehes from the back wall

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
To Bad

about that. I'm no speaker expert! I would check out Monitor Audio I'm not sure of their price but the bronze and maybe silver may come into play at your price point. They are also front ported!:)
http://www.monitoraudiousa.com/

T

Tex-amp

Senior Audioholic
Look at Totem. I think the Arros are designed to go close to the wall.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
These will be on my list for sure and it says my favorite electronic store has them! Anyone else have these or could you reccomend or say no way to them? I will go listen to them but I would like a few more for my list.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Greg Gable said:
These will be on my list for sure and it says my favorite electronic store has them! Anyone else have these or could you reccomend or say no way to them? I will go listen to them but I would like a few more for my list.
Hey Greg maybe some members could help with dealers if they know your area or zip. I mentioned the MA because you preferred front ported floors but if your flexible to rear port then you have more options.

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
KEF iQ5 or iQ7 (link), both are under $1000 have curved cabnets and are frount ported.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area in Texas. I only have ~7 inches from the back wall so I dont think I can use rear ported. The MA's look promising and the Rockets also look good. The KEF dealer here is out of business

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
KEF update. The dealer here is not out of business; they are only doing custom stuff now. He can get me the IQ5 for $650 0r the IQ7 for $750. Are these good deals. Would anyone disagree in KEF vs the rockets, MA, rockets, Totems? I will listen to all I can but want to narrow down as much as possible before I go listen.

X

Xsound

Full Audioholic
I would second the MA RS 6 for right at 1 grand. Another speakr to check would be the Wharfedale Evo 30. Front ported,genuine wood veneer, cool cabinets, sweet sound. Don't know if there is a Wharfedale dealer in the greater DFW area, but would think so.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
The MA dealer here said I should go with the B&W 600 series. He would have to order the MAs. Why is this so hard?

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
I'm probably going to get bashed for this...:eek: ...but here goes.

I have JBL S312 mains. In a couple of years of auditioning tons of different speakers, the closest I have gotten to matching their sound in dynamics, clarity, and richness is/was .... Monitor Audio RS8's. I have not auditioned the current lineup of E-series JBL's, but if they're close to the audio performance of the Studio series...they're worth a listen. You'd be able to pick them up for 1/3 - 1/2 the price of the MA's.

JBL's have a time-honored presence in the world of speakercraft. Their designers are among the best in the world and their testing abilities ARE the best in the world. Their consumer line has taken a beating in the review world recently...I believe primarily because they were among the first to be built off-shore and are now sold in "big box" stores, targeting the 'non-audiophile'. And hearsay bias is rampant in hobbies like this. You'll hear negative comments from people that have never put JBL's through A/B comparos.

To my ears, there are many speakers out there that would be an improvement over my S312's. But they all cost considerably more money. (The $3600/pair Vienna Acoustics Beethovens are the cheapest example I've heard.) But my point is...value! For the money you're looking to spend, I believe there is no better value than JBL...particularly if you can get a pair of Studios (last manufactured in 2002). The E-series are easy to find for an audition. You would be remiss not to at least give them a listen.

Let the beating begin, lol. :eek:

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I guess

Greg Gable said:
The MA dealer here said I should go with the B&W 600 series. He would have to order the MAs. Why is this so hard?
most hi end retailers are smaller in stature so they don't keep as much stock, also some push other products harder. Go and listen to what they have and whats around you and come to conclusion that way. This should be fun! So go and have some fun Greg, you already got the wife's approval:D.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Paradigm Studio 60s - front ported, and just a bit above your budget, though many dealers should give you at least a small discount.

Yep, realized the RS450s were rear ported after the fact...

Now, 7" is actually not too bad and will probably work OK for most rear ported speakers - not ideal, but most should do fine.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Ok...I am going to try to set up auditions for the following:
Wharfedale Evo 30
MA RS6
KEF IQ 5 AND 7's
B&W 600 series
Paradigm Studio 60s

I just need to find a place for the MA's and Wharfedale Evo 30

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
Greg Gable said:
He can get me the IQ5 for $650 0r the IQ7 for $750. Are these good deals.
I beleve that that would put them around $100 under list price. :cool:

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Does any one live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area have the MA RS6 or the Wharfedale Evo 30? I cant find any place to audition them.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Whats not working out with the PSBs?

Greg Gable said:
Since the PSBs may not work out. Can everyone throw out what they would buy for mains.

1. < $1000
2. Towers with a smaller footprint (no square box) Thin and deep with nice boxes
3. Need to be front ported. I can only go about 7 incehes from the back wall
Don't like the sound?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis