I hate making these threads, but I have to do it.

nick_danger

nick_danger

Audioholic
I've got $2,800 to spend on an HDTV. That is the MAX, no more.

DLP is out of the question unless it is a 3-chip TV. The ghosting and rainbow effect really bother me. My current 46" really sucks and my previous 50" isn't really worth it.

Native resolution has to be at least 1280x720 and allow for PC hookup (usually hand in hand).

It has to be 42"+.

Weight isn't a huge concern, but I'd like to avoid direct view CRTs.

Front projection is an option, but Best Buy doesn't carry much of them and I want to take advatage of their financing (plus they kinda hook me up).

Primary use is going to be Xbox, DVD, and PC. I'm beginning to think I don't really have any options anymore. I'm thinking about one of the Panasonic RP LCD HDTVs, but I've heard that LCDs don't last long when exposed to extended heat from the lamps. I really need help! Thanks in advance!

P.S. Please suggest whatever you think will suit my needs, I can sort them out from there.

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

It seems to me that you may have answered your own question. With the parameters you have given it looks like a LCD is the best way to go. Where I work we started delivering LCDs approx 3 years ago. (I think Zenith was the first in the industry to make a rear projo LCD.) We have yet to have any come in for repair with the problem you have described. We have sold quite a few of them, I believe from Thanksgiving to Christmas last year we sold about 25 of them. (Small locally owned business.)

I also think for the price it is really your only option if you dont want CRT or DLP based TVs.

Vancouver

Vancouver

Full Audioholic
by the way the prices on that site are canadian...so take off apx 20-15%.

M

Mr.T

Audioholic
Look, don't kid yourself,
if you want a decent Plasma HDTV with a resolution of 1280X720 you have to shell out a little more money than $2.800, unless you end up with a Sampo or an RCA. My recommendation will be to save another $ 1.000 maccaruns and buy a splendid 42" HDTV Plasma like the Fujitsu P42HHA31 or the Panasonic down below:
http://plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatvreviews/panasonic-resolution.html

Here is a write up on the Fujitsu,
http://plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatvreviews/fujitsu42.html

Attachments

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Nick...

Unless Best Buy REALLY gives you a hook up, there is definitely better pricing online. But, the do have 1-year interest free financing which I have used for some stuff before.

Best Buy, in my area, most definitely has several front projection units and there are many more that they can order for you, especially if they can hook you up.

Check www.projectorcentral.com for some good reviews and info on front projection units. After you go front projection on a 8+ foot screen (who measures in inches?) you will never go back. Of course, you really are required to have a light controlled environment to truly enjoy it.

If you can't do that, then rear projection LCD or CRT are your only options. If I were going rear projection, I would ONLY go with CRT personally. The image looks phenomenal, and the price of CRT is where LCD & DLP should be. I mean really, there is half as much material and weight in a LCD/DLP rear projector vs. a CRT yet they cost 50% more!

Mr. T: I have a Sampo plasma and am very impressed with the quality of the display. Don't know why you would knock it.

M

Mr.T

Audioholic
BMX, I am not trying to knock the product down, but we have had very few customers who had chosen EDTV Sampos on their new home media room for the love to save around a $ 1.000 and truthfully, some have come around showing me some disappointment not to have chosen a different brand.

Now, I go according to what some customers tell me and their feelings. Because I personally am totally unfamiliar with Sampo products, also we have our customers decide what kind of equipment they want, unless they have no clue of what they want, than we step in and help them with their decisions making.

Attachments

nick_danger

nick_danger

Audioholic
Mr.T said:
Well, neither of those are 1280x720, so that won't work. I can't say I like plasma too much, it just never seems as bright... I suppose it will get better as time goes on, but I want something NOW! :mad:

*stomps feet*

If the Samsung 46" I bought looked as good as the 50" did, I would have no problems other than the rainbow effect. I could live with that. Either the one I got is defective or Samsung is trying to pull a fast one and just repackaged last year's model.

I'm sorry, I have never seen a good CRT rear projection, honestly. I don't think I could ever justify it, plus I don't think there are any CRTs that do above 480p anyway.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Nick...

The Mitsubishi WS-65315 is a 65" ($2300.00 on www.bestbuy.com) CRT with 1200 lines of potential horizontal resolution. Generally speaking, a good CRT always produces a better image than a Plasma, LCD, DLP, or anything else. Blacks that are black, and colors that are accurate. There is so much technology in CRTs that makes it better you would be amazed.

There are a few drawbacks with CRT though:
1. They aren't as bright. To overcome this they use screens that help to focus the light on a given seating position. You must be within the range of their 'sweet area' to have a bright image. This is something that DLP and LCD don't deal with as much because they are brighter, but still DLP & LCD do this as well.

2. CRT needs to be converged regularly. About once every few months you should get into the setup menu and align Red, Green, and Blue on top of each other exactly to provide the best possible image. Most projectors should walk you through exactly how to do this. I haven't used one in a while, so there may be newer ways to deal with projector convergence.

But, a 65" screen will be pretty exciting and definitely provides the most resolution and bang for your buck. The single biggest reason not to buy a rear projection CRT is that they are extremely large and heavy. That's about it, unless brightness is a major issue to you.

If brightness is a major issue - go plasma or LCD flat panel display. Nothing is brighter.

Now the Sony rear projection LCD, model KF50WE610 has a price on Best Buy of $2,600.00. This unit provides you with 1386 X 788 resolution which allows it to be labelled as an HDTV. This unit seems to be exactly what you want, but there is no way in the world that it will provide as good of an image as the Mitsubishi listed above. It will be a cool looking Sony though.

nick_danger

nick_danger

Audioholic
BMXTRIX said:
The Mitsubishi WS-65315 is a 65" ($2300.00 on www.bestbuy.com) CRT with 1200 lines of potential horizontal resolution.
"Potential" resolution? I've always noticed that 1200 lines thing. What does that mean? Does it use some sort of line-doubling mechanism or is it 600 lines of progressive and 1200 lines for interlaced?

BMXTRIX said:
Now the Sony rear projection LCD, model KF50WE610 has a price on Best Buy of $2,600.00.
I was looking at that one... I may try that next.

BTW, thanks Mr. T, I missed those other links. That TV looks sexy, but it's way out of my price range.

goodman

goodman

Full Audioholic
The best quality for the money is still CRT. In your price range, you should be able to purchase a really large, 53"-60", HD RPTV. In addition to Best Buy, I would also check out the wholesale warehouses like Costco, Sam's, BJs.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Nick - I will start by saying that I don't know this 100% for sure, but I believe that many CRTs use the resolution that is needed to create the image that is fed to it. That is why a CRT computer monitor has good quality at 1024x768 and at 600x480. It isn't locked into one specific resolution. It simply uses what is coming into the display and shows it. So if you send it 480i it shows 480i. If you send it HDTV at 720p it shows it as native HDTV at 720p.

Likewise if you send it HDTV at 1080i it will give you native 1080i resolution.

The 1200 lines is probably a capability for it to hook up to a PC at 1600x1200 resolution and display it properly.

P

psyclobe

Enthusiast
Nick, what do you mean by "Native" resolution? Are you looking for a tv that will accept VGA-IN at a resolution of 1280x720?

-Jason

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
psyclobe said:
Nick, what do you mean by "Native" resolution? Are you looking for a tv that will accept VGA-IN at a resolution of 1280x720?

-Jason
Jason: Native resolution means the display itself IS at least 1280x720 pixels.

This is different from say, a 42" plasma that only has a resolution of 853x480. That display can accept 1280x720 (720p) and 1920x1080i (1080i) but scales it to 480p.

So having a VGA that accepts 1280x720 isn't the requirement - that is a gimme. The REQUIREMENT is minimum resolution of 720p for the actual display.

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

I must speak out on CRT based projection TVs. I think that if you feel comfortable with adjusting the convergence then buy one. If you dont, you will be far better off buying a fixed pixel display. I don't care what brand you buy they all have convergence problems. And you would think with all the years these sets have been available something could have been done by now to remedy this. And I am not talking about Hookie Pookie auto convergence.

P

psyclobe

Enthusiast
BMXTRIX said:
Jason: Native resolution means the display itself IS at least 1280x720 pixels.

This is different from say, a 42" plasma that only has a resolution of 853x480. That display can accept 1280x720 (720p) and 1920x1080i (1080i) but scales it to 480p.

So having a VGA that accepts 1280x720 isn't the requirement - that is a gimme. The REQUIREMENT is minimum resolution of 720p for the actual display.
So I infer that Nicks answer to my question may very well be "No". In that case, I don't see why Nick shouldn't choose a CRT based monitor. I own a mitsubishi ws-55813. Aside from the rattling issues (see previous post), it is an amazing TV. Granted, it up converts all 720p signals to 1080i, however there's been a good number of reports of people combing the KD-VTCA3 with their HTPC's with this tv with amazing resultes.

-Jason

M

Mr.T

Audioholic
rgriffin25 said:
I must speak out on CRT based projection TVs. I think that if you feel comfortable with adjusting the convergence then buy one. If you dont, you will be far better off buying a fixed pixel display. I don't care what brand you buy they all have convergence problems. And you would think with all the years these sets have been available something could have been done by now to remedy this. And I am not talking about Hookie Pookie auto convergence.
Griff, agree with you about the convergence shifting off on CRT projection Tvs, you might think with all the modern technology available today, convergence problems should have been corrected by now. It can't be fixed, because of the intense heat involved on those RGB CRTs. They have tried to cool them off with liquid silicone and some other stuff without too much of results. So for anyone who buys this kind of TV, you'll be better off with purchasing the extended warranty.

Attachments

nick_danger

nick_danger

Audioholic
Thanks for all the advice guys. I've made my decision to replace my TV:

Sony Grand WEGA KDF-42WE655
42" Rear-projection LCD
1280x720
HDMI
CableCARD
Built-in ATSC Tuner
2 Component ins
Multiple analog ins
Optical out!
$2,299 (it's fallen by $600 in just over a month) at Best Buy

I have had my eye on this one for a long time, but I was turned off by its once higher price in comparison to the Samsung DLPs. Looking at it again, knowing what I know about DLPvsLCDvsCRT, the Sony really looks great.

There's no rainbow effect, color saturation isn't as strong as DLP (but it's no slouch), and the screen-door effect is barely noticeable. I honestly could only see pixelization when I was less than three feet away. It also seemed to handle fast motion and SD programming better than my DLP...

The price is about right as well. I'm gonna swap it out tomorrow and we'll see how it looks when I get it home. I'll have to get a DVI-HDMI adapter for my PC though... :confused:

Thanks again, all!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis