I Give Up! Receiver Shopping Is Killing Me!

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
But what is the "majority" of the people who have had good experiences buying refurbished from A4L ? 4 people? 5 people? It's not like 100 people vs 2 people.
From Law.com legal dictionary:
preponderance of the evidence
...the greater weight of the evidence... This preponderance is based on the more convincing evidence and its probable truth or accuracy, and not on the amount of evidence. Thus, one clearly knowledgeable witness may provide a preponderance of evidence over a dozen witnesses with hazy testimony

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
From Law.com legal dictionary:
preponderance of the evidence
...the greater weight of the evidence... This preponderance is based on the more convincing evidence and its probable truth or accuracy, and not on the amount of evidence. Thus, one clearly knowledgeable witness may provide a preponderance of evidence over a dozen witnesses with hazy testimony
Well, you can pay the same price for refurbished that I pay for brand new or open-box. Definitely your choice.

I recommend to everyone to find an open box or new item from an authorized dealer for the same price as refurbished from A4L or any other refurbished place.

Once new models are fully released and sold everywhere, older model prices drop to the same level or even LOWER than A4L.

ecologydoc

ecologydoc

Junior Audioholic
Greetings All,

This is my first post on this wonderful site, so I'd like to start by thanking the site management and contributors. It truly seems to be a great place.

Now to my problem.

I've read hundreds of ads, reviews, specs, and Internet threads (mainly here), and I'm just getting more and more confused. I'm even contemplating the purchase of an entry level ($200-300) unit, just so I can get my system up and running. It certainly won't be the end of the world if a year from now I end up selling it because I have a much better idea of what I need/want.
I feel your pain; I had a bulletproof, old, Onkyo receiver but wanted to upgrade to a modern A/V unit. It seemed like there are some questions or details that I really wanted to know about that just weren't available from the manufacturer's websites. I also spent a lot of time on various forums, felt that I had done my due diligence to the extent possible, but in the end it still felt like I was hoping for the best.

It's possible to wait too long for something like an open box offer; the model year had passed and I wanted some features from LAST year's Onkyo models so I got a refurb TX NR929 from, yes, Accessories4less, decided that if I was going to err it would be on the side of caution so purchased an extended warranty.

Had a no-problem experience with the vendor, the receiver is just awesome although there have been a couple of glitches that may have been operator error. It has the features and capabilities that I had been unsure of.

It almost seems like these days, if you can't check out a complicated piece of electronics like these A/Vs are in person, you need to order the thing and put it through it's paces, learn it fast before the 30 days or whatever, but be prepared to return it if it doesn't do what you want it to do.

Maybe it's like buying a car anymore - a necessary but unpleasant experience that will be worth it in the end.

Suerte.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
I recommend to everyone to find an open box or new item from an authorized dealer for the same price as refurbished from A4L or any other refurbished place.
I agree 100%. Personally, I don't buy refurbished because I know that even "factory refurbished" work is not done by the manufacturer's A-team on the new-build manufacturing line. It is done by the OEM, but usually at a different site, (in country), and by people who are sort of jack-of-all-trades that work on a large range of machine types and models rather than specializing in a particular family of products. I prefer new-build with the latest ECs and parts, built on a mfg line that is specifically designed to build that product family, built by people who are specifically trained in assembly procedures and techniques for that product, and supported by on-site engineers who are the most knowledgable people in the world on that particular product.

But that's not the point to which I was responding. A4L seems to be a reliable and trustworthy company, based on the preponderance of evidence I've seen about them. I wouldn't buy their refurbished stuff, but not because I don't trust A4L.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I agree 100%. Personally, I don't buy refurbished because I know that even "factory refurbished" work is not done by the manufacturer's A-team on the new-build manufacturing line. It is done by the OEM, but usually at a different site, (in country), and by people who are sort of jack-of-all-trades that work on a large range of machine types and models rather than specializing in a particular family of products. I prefer new-build with the latest ECs and parts, built on a mfg line that is specifically designed to build that product family, built by people who are specifically trained in assembly procedures and techniques for that product, and supported by on-site engineers who are the most knowledgable people in the world on that particular product.

But that's not the point to which I was responding. A4L seems to be a reliable and trustworthy company, based on the preponderance of evidence I've seen about them. I wouldn't buy their refurbished stuff, but not because I don't trust A4L.
I agree. It seems A4L is a good company. And so I was not at all saying A4L is a bad company or untrustworthy company. I just don't like refurbished processors in general from ANYONE.

And my point is that if you look hard enough, you can probably find a brand new AVR or open-box AVR with the same or lower price than A4L or other trustworthy refurbished sellers.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis