I Finally Bit the Bullet...

Now Slappy

Now Slappy

Audioholic
Well after after waiting and waiting for the new Mitzu big screens to get released I pulled the trigger on a new TV.

73"er you say? The 82"ers aren't out yet so it must be the 73?

:eek: WRONG! :eek:

Because I've had so much time waiting that means I was left up to my own devices and did a lot of "unnecessary" research. ::)

A couple of weeks ago I stared to revisit the possibility of a front projector and smaller plasma combo. Plasma for the day, projector at night. Well, while it could be done it just seemed that maybe in my house it would be overkill. So my wife and I talked and we agreed that when we move(who knows when) we will look for a house where there can be a room set aside for a dedicated HT.

Ahhhhhhhh...the wonders of compromise.

I also came to realize that by going the DLP route I might be compromising PQ for size, not to mention replacement bulbs and calibration. It was then that jostenmeat over at the projectors section of the forums showed me the light in the form of a 65" Panasonic Viera 850U. Well I bit the bullet and it should be arriving on Friday(unfortunately the stand won't arrive until Saturday so I'll have to stare at the box on Friday night.:eek:)

I'm hoping that the size difference will be made up for in the picture quality, but any change for us at this point will be a huge difference over our old Mitzu 73"er.

I look at it this way, if the size of the TV becomes an issue after we have it set up and watch it for a while I'll just move it to our bar to replace one of the big screens there. ;) ;D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Congratulations!!! I was almost in that same position of getting the TV the day before the stand...almost. :D

65". That is going to be fantastic! I can't wait to see the pictures and read about your impressions.

nibhaz

nibhaz

Audioholic Chief
Congrats! PQ should be phenomenal on that set! I don’t think you will be disappointed.

Now Slappy

Now Slappy

Audioholic
Thanks guys!

I think we'll be very happy with it.

I'm going to try and post before and after pictures of our living room setup as we are changing everything out, top to bottom. The last piece of the puzzle I'm waiting for(other than the TV) is a pre/pro to run everything. I'm going to go with the UMC-1 as soon as I can get my hands on one, but for now the B&K will suffice.

After we get the UMC I think the B&K will be going up for sale because it would just be overkill in the bedroom....welllllll....I might have to think about it.:eek:

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Well done. After even another bit of reflection, I am convinced that you made the best possible decision.

You are going to have a fantastic picture in your home. And it will still be fantastic at off axis angles, even for kids sitting on the floor, or you lying on it.

I want to put in perspective, that for any size greater than 60", or less than 83", you bought the nicest possible display that money can currently buy. Ok, outside of a $25,000 projector, but what's the point at that size.

I am not familiar with FL geography, but if you can land a truck-bed full of Harp beer, or a lifesized Captain Kirk seat, maybe you could get bandphan or majorloser to calibrate it for you. :p:p

I will assume you have a bluray player. If not, that should be the first upgrade easily, way before the pre/pro. As for the latter, the greatest thing since sliced bread IMO in this area is autoEQ. Whether ARC, Audyssey, Trinnov, etc. I don't know how good Emo's will be, but for me, it will always be priority #1 as far as I am concerned. I'm still curious how well the new Outlaw with Trinnov will pan out.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Well after after waiting and waiting for the new Mitzu big screens to get released I pulled the trigger on a new TV.

73"er you say? The 82"ers aren't out yet so it must be the 73?

:eek: WRONG! :eek:

Because I've had so much time waiting that means I was left up to my own devices and did a lot of "unnecessary" research. ::)

A couple of weeks ago I stared to revisit the possibility of a front projector and smaller plasma combo. Plasma for the day, projector at night. Well, while it could be done it just seemed that maybe in my house it would be overkill. So my wife and I talked and we agreed that when we move(who knows when) we will look for a house where there can be a room set aside for a dedicated HT.

Ahhhhhhhh...the wonders of compromise.

I also came to realize that by going the DLP route I might be compromising PQ for size, not to mention replacement bulbs and calibration. It was then that jostenmeat over at the projectors section of the forums showed me the light in the form of a 65" Panasonic Viera 850U. Well I bit the bullet and it should be arriving on Friday(unfortunately the stand won't arrive until Saturday so I'll have to stare at the box on Friday night.:eek:)

I'm hoping that the size difference will be made up for in the picture quality, but any change for us at this point will be a huge difference over our old Mitzu 73"er.

I look at it this way, if the size of the TV becomes an issue after we have it set up and watch it for a while I'll just move it to our bar to replace one of the big screens there. ;) ;D
Such a small screen! How could you? :p

Plasma's a nice picture though and sufficient for sane folk. Remember folks like Josten are crazy with their PJ setups. I would welcome you back to normal folks, but I use a FP too. Still TVs are just a lot less hassle. I suggest TVs for anyone who's not filthy rich or ultra nerdy.

It's just way simpler. You don't have to worry about bumping your picture crooked with Plasma.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
Congrats on the new panel, should be an awesome setup :D

I'll almost bet the house that it won't stay in the box through all of Friday night, just not possible .

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Dont look back now, but panny is starting to show an 85" plasma, the TH-85PF12U. :D Havent seen a street price yet :eek:

Now Slappy

Now Slappy

Audioholic
Dont look back now, but panny is starting to show an 85" plasma, the TH-85PF12U. :D Havent seen a street price yet :eek:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't do that to me! I'm sure, however, that mere mortals like me will not be able to afford a plasma that size. If I had to guess I'd say it will probably land somewhere north of $20k.

And jostenmeat, I doubt I'll be able to find the life size Captain James T. Kirk captain's seat, but the truck bed of Harp is definitely doable. Just another perk of owning a bar.:cool::D

K

kay9

Junior Audioholic
Concrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wish i can get one for the living room. Very nice.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis