I can't find any help with my problem!

B

bmac

Audioholic
I've come to the Hive mind with a problem:

My new Cinenova 7 is tripping the 20amp breaker in my Square D panel. If I leave the amp on, and reset the breaker the amps breaker trips. I moved it to a 15amp circuit that also has the lights on it, and it held for a week of off and on use. Bad breaker right? Wrong I changed out the breaker on the 20amp and it still trips. I then switched it back to the 15amp and it trips. I put in a new 20amp surge receptacle and it didn't help.

I contacted Earthquake and they are sending out a ' Type C ' breaker for the amp. This is for the inrush, but if the panel breaker always trips first how will this help. I think I still need to replace the panels breaker, or I have a short in the amp somewhere. Code will not allow for a 25amp breaker on 12awg wire, but I could go to a 10awg. The amp worked great for a week without tripping, and it wasn't until I started messing with it that the 15amp wouldn't hold.

Facts:

-Square D panel (five years old).
-20amp circuit is dedicated.
-15amp circuit shares a lighting load.
-I've replaced the receptacle.
-I've replaced the 20amp breaker.

-It worked for a week on that 15amp breaker.
-Earthquake thinks it's the internal breaker, and they are sending out a 'Type C' breaker.
-Amp meter shows 13amp before tripping, but that is really quick. The amp always trips immediately. I think that would be inrush. Could the inrush be faster than the meter? Could it be exceeding the 13amps the meter shows?

Any ideas would be helpful.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I've come to the Hive mind with a problem:

My new Cinenova 7 is tripping the 20amp breaker in my Square D panel. If I leave the amp on, and reset the breaker the amps breaker trips. I moved it to a 15amp circuit that also has the lights on it, and it held for a week of off and on use. Bad breaker right? Wrong I changed out the breaker on the 20amp and it still trips. I then switched it back to the 15amp and it trips. I put in a new 20amp surge receptacle and it didn't help.

I contacted Earthquake and they are sending out a ' Type C ' breaker for the amp. This is for the inrush, but if the panel breaker always trips first how will this help. I think I still need to replace the panels breaker, or I have a short in the amp somewhere. Code will not allow for a 25amp breaker on 12awg wire, but I could go to a 10awg. The amp worked great for a week without tripping, and it wasn't until I started messing with it that the 15amp wouldn't hold.

Facts:

-Square D panel (five years old).
-20amp circuit is dedicated.
-15amp circuit shares a lighting load.
-I've replaced the receptacle.
-I've replaced the 20amp breaker.

-It worked for a week on that 15amp breaker.
-Earthquake thinks it's the internal breaker, and they are sending out a 'Type C' breaker.
-Amp meter shows 13amp before tripping, but that is really quick. The amp always trips immediately. I think that would be inrush. Could the inrush be faster than the meter? Could it be exceeding the 13amps the meter shows?

Any ideas would be helpful.
Yes the inrush will be faster than the meter. Also the power transformer will be an inductive load, so voltage and current will be way out of phase.

What you need is a special breaker that has an extended trip time to handle this situation.

I had to install one on the circuit that supplies the power to the six amplifiers that power my left and right mains.

B

bmac

Audioholic
Thanks TLS!

i replaced the breaker in my panel with a high inrush, and also replaced the amp's breaker. One without the other didn't work, but now it works great. Earthquake sent the breaker for the amp out the same day I called. Installing the breaker took minutes, but the cover took a while. I'm very happy with the end product though, and I can't wait to take the next step....pre/pro! Once I sell my RSX-1067 I'm on to the Onkyo PR-SC 886.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
i replaced the breaker in my panel with a high inrush, and also replaced the amp's breaker. One without the other didn't work, but now it works great. Earthquake sent the breaker for the amp out the same day I called. Installing the breaker took minutes, but the cover took a while. I'm very happy with the end product though, and I can't wait to take the next step....pre/pro! Once I sell my RSX-1067 I'm on to the Onkyo PR-SC 886.
Thanks for the feedback, glad to know you are sorted out.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis