I bought a motorcycle yesterday

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I bought a highly modified 1980 Yamaha XS650 yesterday. It has 750 cc jugs. Not bored out. Performance cam. Professional engine build. It is actually way more engine than I need, but that's fine. I wanted a vintage bike already modified as I have no room or the thousands of $$ to do it right. I have had about 20 motorcycles, seven of which were Yamaha 2 strokes, RD's and RZ's, most that I built up so I know what it takes time-wise, space and money. I was looking for another RD or RZ and happened upon this one in Princeton, MN. I have always loved the yellow/black Kenny Roberts look. So this is quite a find for me. It needs a couple of things that I will be doing to get it up to snuff. All minor for the most part.

Attachments

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I bought a highly modified 1980 Yamaha XS650 yesterday. It has 750 cc jugs. Not bored out. Performance cam. Professional engine build. It is actually way more engine than I need, but that's fine. I wanted a vintage bike already modified as I have no room or the thousands of $$ to do it right. I have had about 20 motorcycles, seven of which were Yamaha 2 strokes, RD's and RZ's, most that I built up so I know what it takes time-wise, space and money. I was looking for another RD or RZ and happened upon this one in Princeton, MN. I have always loved the yellow/black Kenny Roberts look. So this is quite a find for me. It needs a couple of things that I will be doing to get it up to snuff. All minor for the most part.
I hope you have agreed to be an organ donor, and your license so states. There is always a great need for organ donors.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Been riding for 49 years Doctor! You think they would want organs of a 63, almost 64 y.o.!? Oh, plus I am not interested in squeezing every ounce of power out of this thing. Being a commercial driver, I cannot afford a ticket!
I used to do wheelies in my 20's. I cannot even do that anymore anyway.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah for sure. It’s sweet! I used to work with a guy who had(iirc) an RD400. Every time he started it, I thought someone fired up a Yamaha banshee(atv) in the lot lol.
Cool old bike anyway.
Edit: are those ohlins rear shocks?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Congrats! That's a nice looking bike, sort of retro and modern at same time. What are 750cc jugs, tho?

All the kids in town are always yelling for me to do wheelies on my little e-moto, but am too old to learn at this point (at least without likely damage to me as well as the bike :) ).

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Congrats! That's a nice looking bike, sort of retro and modern at same time. What are 750cc jugs, tho?

All the kids in town are always yelling for me to do wheelies on my little e-moto, but am too old to learn at this point (at least without likely damage to me as well as the bike :) ).
Cmon!!! Never too old. lol

The 750 jugs are just taken from a 750 and installed on the 650 cases. Should be same stroke, but bigger bore. Lil more torque.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

The 750 jugs are just taken from a 750 and installed on the 650 cases. Should be same stroke, but bigger bore. Lil more torque.
But what does "jugs" refer to particularly....not heard that term before except in completely different contexts :)

Yes, am too old to learn to wheelie a motorcycle. I can do it a bit on my mountain bike but more for needs on trail rather than just demoing my "skillz" :)

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Yeah for sure. It’s sweet! I used to work with a guy who had(iirc) an RD400. Every time he started it, I thought someone fired up a Yamaha banshee(atv) in the lot lol.
Cool old bike anyway.
Edit: are those ohlins rear shocks?
Thx man! I think Banchees have the same engine as the RZ350. Liquid cooled.
I went out to look at the shocks. They say PFJ on them. Googled that and nothing, but it brought up RFY shocks and that is what they are. The sticker around the gold canisters are gone, but on the top, it says PFJ. Good enough for me as I am no road racer!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
But what does "jugs" refer to particularly....not heard that term before except in completely different contexts :)

Yes, am too old to learn to wheelie a motorcycle. I can do it a bit on my mountain bike but more for needs on trail rather than just demoing my "skillz" :)
lol. Yeah, jugs commonly refers to the cylinders. Slugs are a common name for the pistons.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General

Actually, close. They are aftermarket 750 cylinders made for this engine. Yamaha had a 850 in this era, but it was a three cylinder. There was not a 750. I looked up the history of the engine. It is a German design from the 50's that Yamaha eventually purchased the rights to and perfected it. It took them a long time in releasing it on a bike. If they had, it would have been a Brit killer competing with the BSA,'s Norton's and Triumphs of the mid to latter 60's.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Thx man! I think Banchees have the same engine as the RZ350. Liquid cooled.
I went out to look at the shocks. They say PFJ on them. Googled that and nothing, but it brought up RFY shocks and that is what they are. The sticker around the gold canisters are gone, but on the top, it says PFJ. Good enough for me as I am no road racer!
I hear that. As long as she’s nice and smooth.
I’ve never heard of PFJ and googletron results were…odd. Those rear shocks reminded me of ohlins piggybacks is all. No matter. She’s still cool.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Actually, close. They are aftermarket 750 cylinders made for this engine. Yamaha had a 850 in this era, but it was a three cylinder. There was not a 750. I looked up the history of the engine. It is a German design from the 50's that Yamaha eventually purchased the rights to and perfected it. It took them a long time in releasing it on a bike. If they had, it would have been a Brit killer competing with the BSA,'s Norton's and Triumphs of the mid to latter 60's.
Huh. That’s pretty cool! Fun history lesson lol.
I like old triumphs, but you’re right. I feel like the Yamaha version would’ve been hard to beat.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Funny(ironic). It’s like when we talk AV lingo to a newb without realizing we just dropped a whole paragraph of slang terms.
With av lingo all you need are the proper names/terms to confuse a newb, tho. Having trouble imagining what av lingo is as tweaked as jugs/slugs go, too....

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
With av lingo all you need are the proper names/terms to confuse a newb, tho. Having trouble imagining what av lingo is as tweaked as jugs/slugs go, too....
Haha! That’s true about proper terms.
Tweaked av lingo? I guess I don’t know. Have to think. I think jug is simply shorthand for a jug, or something of the like to hold a volume of xyz.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
My mistake. There was a Yamaha 750 of the era. It was the XS750 Special. However, it was also a three cylinder.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Been riding for 49 years Doctor! You think they would want organs of a 63, almost 64 y.o.!? Oh, plus I am not interested in squeezing every ounce of power out of this thing. Being a commercial driver, I cannot afford a ticket!
I used to do wheelies in my 20's. I cannot even do that anymore anyway.
Your kidneys will be fine and a few other bits.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis