I am about to purchase the OPPO-BDP 83... Please advise...

N

Nishik

Audioholic Intern
I am just about to buy the oppo bdp 83 dvd player.
Please advise..
Is this the best player? Should i go for it?

P

PeterWhite

Audioholic
I'm very happy with mine. I have CDs, DVDs, SACDs, DVD-Audio, and Blu-Ray discs. It plays them all. It will output DVD-A and SACD via HDMI so my receiver handles bass management, just as with Blu-Ray. It's also very inexpensive, considering all it does. What's not to like?

N

Nishik

Audioholic Intern
How is the UPCONVERSION of the DVDs and the 7.1 Sound quality?

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
How is the UPCONVERSION of the DVDs and the 7.1 Sound quality?
I would say the upconversion is better than any other scaling DVD player that I have had. Better than the 980H, Toshiba A2, Denon 1920. The only thing close was when I set my 980H to 480i and let the REON scaler in my processor upscale to 1080p.

I'm not sure what you mean by 7.1 sound quality. Analog or HDMI? I use HDMI and bitstream everything to my processor. I don't matrix to 7.1 with any lossless codec's and use THX Ultra for my 7.1 matrix of DD material.

J-Garcia and a few others that use the analogs have a qood amount of info on this threas: link.

N

Nishik

Audioholic Intern
How is the DENON DVD-2930CI compared to the OPPO BDP 83?

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
How is the DENON DVD-2930CI compared to the OPPO BDP 83?
Do you mean in terms of scaling performance or other features?

The only comparison I have found here was with an older model 2900 - Link

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah i meant scaling performance.
I don't think you are going to find a better upscaling player. There are a few REON equiped players that people are saying are as good, but nobody has said "better". I haven't seen upscaling look better than this, though it also depends on what is being upscaled. I have come across a few SD DVDs that didn't look stellar though those tend to be poor quality titles.

P

PeterWhite

Audioholic
I don't think you are going to find a better upscaling player. There are a few REON equiped players that people are saying are as good, but nobody has said "better". I haven't seen upscaling look better than this, though it also depends on what is being upscaled. I have come across a few SD DVDs that didn't look stellar though those tend to be poor quality titles.
Yup. The old Monty Python's Flying Circus is going to look pretty poor regardless of what you do. Fortunately it's funny, regardless of what it looks like.

Fish Slapping, anyone?

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
Without question, this player is phenomenal. I didn't hesitate to buy it, and neither should anyone who wants great BD playback, phenomenal DVD upscaling, SACD & DVD-A, and stellar 2-channel music playback. Throw in the USB input, DivX(HD), AVCHD and mkv playback, and it's got pretty much everything you could want!

Minus region-free playback and wireless internet, of course.

cheers,
supervij

A

audiofox

Full Audioholic
As soon as I can sell my Denon 3910 and my Panny DMP-BD55, I'll be popping for a second one for HT #2-the first one has a place of honor in the main HT/listening room.

M

Method

Junior Audioholic
Just bought one for my 2-yr old. May have to usurp.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis