Hypex amp turns off, processor problem or amp problem?

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
I'm having an issue with my HT setup. I notice from time to time that my monolith m8250x with drop one of the modules while I'm watching TV. It's always the one I have my left surround and left rear surround hooked up to. After some time I hear the click of the module turning back on and it works for some time before clicking off again. I would say it's probably about 20-30 minutes into use that this happens. This is at normal volume, not loud in any way.

I thought this is likely due to the amp, but I have noticed that on occasion, my Apollon NCMP270 will also cut out, which is powering my center channel. This has probably only happened maybe twice or three times. This happens in both all channel stereo, and Dolby.

Should I be looking to trouble shoot the amps or the processor (AVM70)?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I'm having an issue with my HT setup. I notice from time to time that my monolith m8250x with drop one of the modules while I'm watching TV. It's always the one I have my left surround and left rear surround hooked up to. After some time I hear the click of the module turning back on and it works for some time before clicking off again. I would say it's probably about 20-30 minutes into use that this happens. This is at normal volume, not loud in any way.

I thought this is likely due to the amp, but I have noticed that on occasion, my Apollon NCMP270 will also cut out, which is powering my center channel. This has probably only happened maybe twice or three times. This happens in both all channel stereo, and Dolby.

Impossible to know at long range.

Since it involves two different power amps, that Anthem AVM70 is the most likely suspect.

I would switch channels around and see if the fault follows the AVP70 or the same amp channels.

One thing I would do, is to carefully examine your speaker connections at the amp end and speaker ends. It only takes one shorting whisker to cause this sort of thing. Speaker connections need to be pristine with no scraggy or in anyway suspicious terminations.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

Do what TLSGuy suggested first, if all checked out, then try factory rest the AVM70.

Has the issue been there since day 1?

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
Peng - Hasn't been the issue since day 1. It really only happens when I'm watching Suits on Netflix. I think it may have happened while watching some sports, but Suits is the one where it has happened the most. My thought was maybe in Dolby+ mode, there is no processing going to the rear surround, so the AVM70 was sending a no signal, which was powering off the specific amp in the 8250. But then it would seem to reason that the other amp with the side and rear surround should also power down.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I can't imagine what one specific show would have in the way of "information" embedded that would turn off amps....but I do sort of remember some multich audio enabling certain features otoh. I'd suspect the avm70 at this point too. I'd definitely at least give it a soft reset to start....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis