HTPC Build Part 4: Harmony Ultimate Remote

itschris

itschris

I went ahead and ordered the Harmony Ultimate. I debated about the lesser expensive model, but in the end just felt that the Ultimate gave me every available option of control... and most importantly, gives the best and easiest overall platform for Nancy to effectively use the system.

I just got home a bit ago to find my remote waiting for me by the front door:

Harmony1.jpg

First impressions are that 1) Logitech knows how to package and market stuff. I mean it looks like a very high end piece of equipment. Even the box is quite serious.

The remote itself is very nice. I have pretty big hands and this thing feels perfect. My hand just cradles the remote perfectly. Then, you got Nancy with little hands and the first thing she said is "it just fits in my hand perfectly." Design-wise, they did a great job. The charging station is equally nice. It's glossy finish looks high end and shares the same sort of non-slip treatment that remote does. I put it on a glass end table and it was pretty much stuck there. It's not something that's going to slide around willy-nilly.

The remote came with two IR blasters... I don't know if two are enough or not. I have the TV up top, and equipment inside both sides of the cabinet. I've seen where you can buy 1 into 3 and even 1 into 6 cables. This is my first time using this stuff so I know zero about it. I'm not sure if I'll be needing to buy those type of IR's because as it stands, there's two inputs and two cables. I just don't see it being able to cover my entire cabinet which is divided into 3 compartments.

This is as far as I got. I had ordered the HP USB MCE IR Adapter for the HTPC itself, but it didn't show up today... maybe tomorrow. I really have no idea how to do this part. From my initial research, I guess I just plug in the HP MCE do-dad into the USB port of the HTPC and it just sorda works. That concerns me since so far nothing has been that easy. Everything I've seen that makes sense and that I understand has been for a Windows machine, not an OpenElec box so in my mind the chances of it "just working" is slim to none.

For the Harmony setup, what I can tell so far is that I setup the HTPC as an MCE device. Apparently XBMC is fine with it being controlled as this. I don't know. We'll see.

I understand conceptually, but lack the details so far of how to do this and how that little HP box works and what it's place is in the system.

On a side note... I bought a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse because Nancy finally tripped on the keyboard that I have plugged into the HTPC last night. So I plugged the little USB IR receiver into the HTPC and nothing. Neither the keyboard or the mouse work. If I plug my old ones in, no problem. The wireless ones aren't working at all which is what is sort of worrying me a bit about the notion that plugging in the HP receiver is just somehow going to work.

In Windows, the new hardware gets recognized and setup automatically. I don't know what, if anything, needs to be done for an OpenElec machine. More research... more reading.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I will tell you that as long as the MCE receiver from HP is one of the eHome compliant ones (which I imagine it is) then OpenElec will have no problem with it. I used two that I have and didn't have any issues. But with the luck you've been having it may not be that easy. :D

I'm so close to getting that remote, I'm really eager to see how you like it. The play and pause buttons being so far on top have me worried, but you'll be able to tell me if that is a good or bad thing.

itschris

itschris

I will tell you that as long as the MCE receiver from HP is one of the eHome compliant ones (which I imagine it is) then OpenElec will have no problem with it. I used two that I have and didn't have any issues. But with the luck you've been having it may not be that easy. :D

I'm so close to getting that remote, I'm really eager to see how you like it. The play and pause buttons being so far on top have me worried, but you'll be able to tell me if that is a good or bad thing.
So far I have the following activites. Watch TV, Watch TV in Surround, Listen to CD's, and Watch Blu-Ray. This took me all of about 30 minutes total from intial setup of my account to where I'm now. Each of the activities has taken about 5 minutes to setup with zero problems. The only issue so far was the the volume button was scrolling to much upon each press. In less than five minutes I was able to figure out how to adjust that setting and now it's perfect. It goes in increments of 2's with each press.

I haven't had a chance to plug in the HP MCE IR Adapter yet. I've been doing 12 and 13 hour days at the office and just don't have the energy to get that involved, but I will this weekend. So far, I have to say that I'm an absolute fan boy of this remote. I can't be happier. The iPad/iPhone app works just as well. Nancy was actually using swipe commands and working the DVR with her iPad. If you knew Nancy... you'd realize that is a monumental statement about the ease and capability of the remote.

It is different using the touchscreen. i'm already used to it though. I'm a flipper when I watch at night... and it's not a problem at all. I actually setup all favorites sort of in the order that I rotate channels and it's worked just fine. Its fast, no delay, nothing.

The last remaining hurdle is the HTPC. I'm hoping it just works. It's my understanding that the IR control can't actually power the box on and off, but just wakes it up and puts it on standby. I'm fine with that. What would be really cool is if I can somehow get the macro to open the XBMC Remote app on the iPad. I was told it's possible, but have yet to get any additonal info. Either way, it's still just as easy to switch to the XBMC app. Or maybe... the Harmony's MCE commands will work enough to not even bother. I'll sort that all out this weekend.

If you're on the fence, I think you can be confident that this will do what you want.

itschris

itschris

As predicted... it doesn't work. I swear... I really regret just not doing a Windows build. The extra $80 would have been absolutely worth it considering the amount of time I've wasted troubleshooting every stupid singe thing. I'm an hour into this and I'm about to chuck the whole thing into the pool.

@PANTERAGSTK what are you using for a remote. Did you have to download any add-ons? I initially setup my Harmony activity with an MCE 7 Media player, but that told me that I needed more specific devices. So I replaced that with the actual HP USB MCE Receiver as the device using the model number QVU400102 which Harmony immediately recognized.

Right now, it seems that every time I run the activity, it powers off the HTPC. First, I understood it could only put it on standby not power off/on. No matter what, it won't power on unless I push the power button on the HTPC.

So... I run the activity... everything turns on except the HTPC... I power that up and of course it then show up on the screen as it boots up. I power down, it shuts down. If I power back up... same thing... HTPC won't power up.

I don't know if it's a XBMC, OpenElec, HP IR, or Harmony problem.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
That sounds like the harmony is sending a power command the the HTPC. That isn't an openelec issue. If it powers off with the harmony it sounds like you adapter was recognized without issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

itschris

itschris

AT this point i'm just blaming everything on OpenElec. It's easier and makes me feel better.

You're right though, it's getting the Harmony to do things correctly now. I tinkered with the settings and changed the power setting to "there are no power buttons on my original remote." So I think that maybe doing something in the right direction. I have to double check a few things. I've literally been screwing with this for 2 hours. I mean I'm not stupid... but it's sure making feel that way.

itschris

itschris

Okay my apologies to OpenElec... it's just setting issues. After changing that power setting noted above, the system is turning on and off correctly. That's big!

So of course... there's new issues. The Harmony remote is actually very adept at navigating XBMC... except... I can't get any buttons to run a "go back" command. So if I navigate to TV shows I can't get back to the main XBMC menu bar. My HP hub didn't come with a remote so I can't do any remote to remote learning.

Any ideas? I mean... worst case, I just the iPad XBMC app and go from there... but now I'm sort of spoiled and just want the Harmony remote to do the work.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
You should be able to map a "home" command. The MCE remotes all come with a green button that XBMC has mapped to go back to the home screen.

itschris

itschris

I don't have an MCE remote unfortunately. My IR hub I bought didn't come with one.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Right, but the command should still be available to use with the harmony. I don't have one so I don't know if there is a way to choose commands or if you have to have the remote learn the command.

Rowdy S13

Rowdy S13

Audioholic Chief
panteragstk is correct, there should be an area where you can assign common commands to buttons. Things like the 3 button is 3, or power is power on/off. I cant remember how to get to it off the top of my head though, and being at work I cant pull it up either. I do know exactly what he is talking about and have used it a few times myself. I only ever had to do ir to ir learning when programing a fan remote which is pretty obscure. Actually I think it found all of the commands except 1 or 2 even if I remember correctly. The Harmony's are pretty amazing with how many different products and commands they know, and get right with 0 tweaking. They really shine when you can get into each and every command and tweak it to perfection though.

Stick with it, you are in the home stretch of working out little bugs!

Sean

itschris

itschris

Right, but the command should still be available to use with the harmony. I don't have one so I don't know if there is a way to choose commands or if you have to have the remote learn the command.
Yeah... I guess I need to dig deeper. I'm just not sure how to learn commands on my remote without the other one. There doesn't seem to be an option on the configuration screens. It always just goes to the IR leaning option which I can't do. I'll work on it.

Can you check out my other thread on configuring media... I"m having issues and can't figure it out.

Rowdy S13

Rowdy S13

Audioholic Chief
If you still haven't sorted out the remote by the time I get home I will check out mine and report back. Like I said, I know what he is talking about but cant really offer much help at the moment.

I am also watching the other thread to see what the resolution is there. I haven't had the same problem since I have not done any TV shows yet, but I was kind of expecting the same thing to happen. I am having a small issue of Plex not pulling metadata on some movies though. I wont clutter your thread with my questions though.

Sean

itschris

itschris

If you still haven't sorted out the remote by the time I get home I will check out mine and report back. Like I said, I know what he is talking about but cant really offer much help at the moment.

I am also watching the other thread to see what the resolution is there. I haven't had the same problem since I have not done any TV shows yet, but I was kind of expecting the same thing to happen. I am having a small issue of Plex not pulling metadata on some movies though. I wont clutter your thread with my questions though.

Sean
Start a PLEX Media thread and post away. Fixing PLEX is much easier. You can create folders and just drop your own info in them and PLEX just reads it. Super simple.

itschris

itschris

Sean
I saw where there's the command list... but I don't remember seeing HOME or anything like that... I'll look again tonight.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I saw where there's the command list... but I don't remember seeing HOME or anything like that... I'll look again tonight.
Look for GreenButton. That is the command name from what I've been able to find. You should be able to add a media center SE device if you don't have the option.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I go meself one of these and I works pretty decent. Zero setup. Just plug in the tiny usb receiver to my asus openelec box and it works.
Play/stop/pause keys work as well

PricePlunge.com

itschris

itschris

You can't teach the Harmony new commands without the orginal remote. I ordered an MCE remote to do that. It should show up today. I've been working insane hours and really haven't messed with this at all. My goal is to figure out everything this weekend.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
You can't teach the Harmony new commands without the orginal remote. I ordered an MCE remote to do that. It should show up today. I've been working insane hours and really haven't messed with this at all. My goal is to figure out everything this weekend.
it was a while since I used harmony, but I vaguely remember selecting MS Keyboard as "component" from existing library device list and programming Keyboard shortcuts (aka - Space=pause & play) to remote keys. It worked fine with boxee
Same could be done with xbmc of-course - Keyboard controls - XBMC

itschris

itschris

Well... I used that HP USB IR receiver. I plugged that model into the setup and it imediately recognized it. That's sort of what constitutes my TheaterPC as far as Harmony is concerned. You know, thinking about it now, the "green" button revelation came a bit later after my initial questions about it. Now I'm not ever sure if I ever even tried pushing the green button on the remote! I mean I don't even think I really have even had anything on since I became aware of the green button thing.

So basically, if I get home tonight... I just need to see if it actually works that way. I was initally trying to just go back somehow, not knowing the color button assignments. Great... I just ordered a remote to learn commands when I bet you 100 dollars I already have it.

God I'm gonna be so pissed.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis