HTPC Build Part 2: Putting it all together

itschris

itschris

So I just got back home and found my big Newegg box with the rest of my stuff.

Parts.jpg

I'm pretty much set to go I guess. I figured I post things up here on the actual build... probably mostly my own questions. If anyone has any questions for me, by all means post. I think this project has turned into a pretty good learning opportunity for those wanting to go this route. I've learned a ton, and now I'm about to take the next step.

The last time I built a PC, it was Pentium with 16 megs of RAM, 250 megabyte IDE HD, and 15 inch flatscreen Mag CRT that was the size of big beer cooler.

I'm out tomorrow, but will start putting this all together with pics when I get back on Saturday morning. I'm stoked... we'll see what happens.

On a side note... I really dig this SilverStone GD07 case. It matches very nicely with my Sunfire amp and just looks very high end and well built and looks like it belongs in any HT system. I was worried about this choice and thought the GD06 might be better, but I dunno... I dig this case.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
you should do a play by play of the build and setup..... start with the recipe...

itschris

itschris

Will do. Most of the pics will likely be of me holding a piece of equipment in one hand and scratching my head with the other... or me googling something.

Seriously...I don't think it'll be too bad. I'm hoping to have it up and running Saturday barring any complications like DOA parts. I have to do some more research on OpenELEC... it's simple things like how do I format the SSD (I believe the install does it from the USB) but not sure about the data drive. I'll muddle through it.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord

Last edited by a moderator:
itschris

itschris

Part 2 was a nice refresher. Thanks Bored.

i have to look over the USB cable thing again where the cable needs to go outside case and plug into the back. I just have to pull everything and look at it and see what's what for my particular setup.

Im I probably going to need help with the software side. I looked up some links on how to format drives in OpenElec and it didn't register very well. Granted it was 2am this morning and I was tired, but hopefully once I sit down with everything ready to go, it'll be clearer.

Rowdy S13

Rowdy S13

Audioholic Chief
Here is a great guide to optimizing a windows 7 install, especially if you are using SSD(s) for the OS drive.

Sean's Windows 7 Install & Optimization Guide for SSDs & HDDs

One main thing to keep in mind, and I made this mistake a few times before figuring it out, unplug any drives that aren't going to be used for the OS when installing. It can (and did in my case) install the boot file to a different drive and cause you to delete it when you format that drive! I did this like 3 times before I figured out what was happening. Also, I did not write that guide, but he has a GREAT name :)

Sean

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Part 2 was a nice refresher. Thanks Bored.

i have to look over the USB cable thing again where the cable needs to go outside case and plug into the back. I just have to pull everything and look at it and see what's what for my particular setup.

Im I probably going to need help with the software side. I looked up some links on how to format drives in OpenElec and it didn't register very well. Granted it was 2am this morning and I was tired, but hopefully once I sit down with everything ready to go, it'll be clearer.
OpenELEC is a lot easier than it looks, at least for the specific build I used. I just put the files on a flash drive and it formatted the HDD. Booted very quickly and it just worked.

itschris

itschris

OpenELEC is a lot easier than it looks, at least for the specific build I used. I just put the files on a flash drive and it formatted the HDD. Booted very quickly and it just worked.
The boot SSD I get... it's recognizing and formatting the data drive that's got me a bit perplexed. I'm not familiar with Linux command line stuff at all so when I read about it, they're talking about stuff I don't know about. That's what I got get my hands around.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
The boot SSD I get... it's recognizing and formatting the data drive that's got me a bit perplexed. I'm not familiar with Linux command line stuff at all so when I read about it, they're talking about stuff I don't know about. That's what I got get my hands around.
If I'm not mistaken there is a way to just download a bootable image and install it on a USB drive that will take care of everything for you. I'll have to take a look at what I did for mine when I was testing it.

itschris

itschris

If I'm not mistaken there is a way to just download a bootable image and install it on a USB drive that will take care of everything for you. I'll have to take a look at what I did for mine when I was testing it.
Yeah, see this where I get confused because, i'm not 100% sure what you're talking about. We use to FDISK the drive and then format... easy-peazy. Now it seems a lot more complicated. The SSD gets all prepped by the OpenElec install, but beyond not knowing how to format the second 3TB drive... I don't even know how to get to a command line or if there's even one... i.e., I don't know the approach.

Rowdy S13

Rowdy S13

Audioholic Chief
Formatting the second 3TB drive is easy, once you figure out why it isnt showing up :) I will post my advice when I get home tonight. I had some problems with it on my build, but its easy!

Sean

itschris

itschris

I'll be putting it together tomorrow so we'll see what happens when I get there. Thanks.

Rowdy S13

Rowdy S13

Audioholic Chief
I ended up not getting home till around 2AM, but I am here now! So all you have to do for the larger drive is this,

Disconnect it (either the SATA cable or the power) before you install
Install windows on the SSD like normal
When done shut down the computer and turn the power off
Reconnect the 3TB drive
Start windows
Go to Start>Control Panel
Change to View By: Small Icons
Click on Administrative Tools (Middle of the top row)
Click on Computer Management
On the left column click on Disk Management
You should see your SSD with the 100mb partition in Purple (probably Disk 0), your optical drive, and also your 3TB drive more than likely shown partitioned into 2TB and 1TB, and also shown in black. On the grey box to the left where it says Disk "X", right click and click Convert to GPT. Once that is done it should now show as a single volume, but still black. Then you just right click on that area and go to New Simple Volume and then follow the dialog box.

And you should be all set then! The main part of this is to not have the drive connected when you install. I was unable to convert the space to GPT within windows, so I would do it from command prompt, and then my windows wouldn't start. I finally figured out that it was making the 100mb partition and installing the boot files on my 4TB drive every time. Once I left it unplugged during install I was very easily able to convert it to GPT and add it to my system.

I hope this helps!

Sean

itschris

itschris

Thanks Rowdy... this is going to be an OpenElec build which is the new waters I have yet to tread.

itschris

itschris

So... I got started and got everything laid out. Back in the old days I learned very quickly that a good work area is key, so that's the first thing I did. I found a good spot, laid a thin blanket down so screws and stuff wouldn't slide around and got the tools ready and everything unboxed.

Parts (2).jpg

Final parts list:

CASE: SiliverStone GD07 $139
MB: Gigabyte LGA 1150 Intel H87 HDMI GA-H87M-D3H $100
CPU: Intel I3-4130T 2.90 3 LGA 1150 $100
RAM: GSkill 2 by 2 DDR3 $54
PSU: Seasonic SSR 450 Fully Modular $75
Boot: Samsung 120 Gig SSD $99
Data: WD Green HD 3TB $120
BD: LG Blu-Ray Combo $50

I got the CPU, Cooler, and RAM installed. You'll notice my build is absent the super cool looking SilverStone cooler I originally chose. BoredSysAdmin convinced me the stock cooler was all that i needed and just from doing all the research I found that to be the common theme. Down the road, if I start adding tuner cards and drives, I'll throw one on. I didn't use the Arctic Silver Paste I bought either given the stock unit already had the thermal paste applied and figured Intel knew what they were doing.

CPU-MemoryInstall.jpg

I have to run some errands but will be back on this in a bit.

itschris

itschris

Here's some pics of the M/B, Case, & PSU all wired up. I can't even tell you from a guy who's built probably 50 or more computers back in the late 80's and early 90's how pleasant this new build has been. Back in the day, nothing was labeled, most equipment didn't even come with manuals. There's were jumpers all over the place that needed configuring and rarely was there any documentation to explain it. The digital display for the MHz was a joke. There were no polarity guides... it was pin one/red right... sometimes.

I have to say this case, while expensive, is a pleasure. The documentation is thorough if you need to refer to it. All the wires are clearly labeled and have polarity markings. The M/B is just the same. Great documentation, detailed pics of the pin setups. It's been very easy so far.

Here's a couple of pics. I'm just now straightening out some of the wires and getting them organized. I don't want to go too crazy because I imagine putting the drive cage and the SATA wires in will change things. That's next.

Wired1.jpgWired2.jpg

itschris

itschris

First problem... the Samsung SSD basically mounts upside down up in the underside of the top of the drive cage. As a result, the SATA 90 degree SATA cables are pointed up. There's a hole there in the cage, but I don't think it's wise to run the cable out, then back in.

Hmmmm... so I either need a non-90 or a 5.25 drive adapter.

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
Since it has no moving parts you could just let it sit on something. My ssd is literally hanging by its cables.

itschris

itschris

On the phone with Tiger Direct not terribly far from my house. Oddly enough, they no less about computers than me. "SATA Cable... is that for your TV?"

I then made mistake about asking about a drive cage. "Do you have a 5.25 to 2.5 drive cage?" "[5 seconds of silence]... no... I don't think so."

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis