R

Rion121

Enthusiast
Whats a good one? using for ps3, tv, movies, music. I know it wont be awesome especially at my spending limit ($450). Have a few in mind but was wanting some advice before buying. Only places I've been checking is amazon and accessories4less.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Whats a good one? using for ps3, tv, movies, music. I know it wont be awesome especially at my spending limit ($450). Have a few in mind but was wanting some advice before buying. Only places I've been checking is amazon and accessories4less.
The main advice I'd give is to get something based on a real receiver, like this:

Onkyo HT-S7409 5.1-Channel Network Home Theater Package | Accessories4less

That system is centered on the Onkyo TX-NR609, and will give you some room to grow/upgrade if you're so inclined.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
THIS:
DENON AVR-1712 7.1 A/V Surround Receiver | Accessories4less

5.0 speakers(These are on sale and sell on other sites for $500.00): Amazon.com: Jamo S426HCS3 5pcs Home Theater Speaker System: Electronics

Sub(You can get this later, but hard to beat price wise and won't last too long.):
Amazon.com: Jamo SUB650 650W Closed Subwoofer (Black Ash): Electronics
I would get the 5.0 setup at the very least, and if you can swing it, the subwoofer. $300 for a subwoofer is likely killer, but you should save up a bit and keep your eyes out for a decent subwoofer from somewhere. A good sub will often be part of your A/V system for decades.

R

Rion121

Enthusiast
I've actually just started checking into the S7409. Seems like a pretty good reciever and can stream internet radio. Only question with that is can I hook up 2 more speakers for 7.1 without an additional amp?

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Only question with that is can I hook up 2 more speakers for 7.1 without an additional amp?
Yes you can, although FWIW I'd probably concentrate on getting the best 5.1 setup I could before worrying about two more speakers.

Last edited:
R

Rion121

Enthusiast
ya true. was only asking cause I have a couple old pioneers I thought about using for the fronts and using the other two stock speakers for surround speakers.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
FYI, you'll want your front three speakers to match, so if you've got a spare set, they should be the rear surrounds.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
If you get the 7409 then what I would do is save up to replace the front three with better speakers down the road. Then you'll have your 7.1 setup and slowly build up a better system as money allows.

R

Rion121

Enthusiast
I bought the 7409 just a bit ago from ac4less. Really great looking avr compared to the others I was looking at. pretty stoked for it to arrive now. I think I'll use my 2 pioneers for the back speakers as steve81 suggested as as time goes by and funds build back up I'll replace the front 3 and eventually the sub. Im a noob to the avr system but I think with the NR609 specs I can eventually have a pretty decent system.
(last surround system was offbrand from yard sale for $5 all fed from a small sub that controlled everything)

R

Rion121

Enthusiast
Something else while I'm at it. Hearing alot about banana plugs. Are they neccesary for a better system or just make it easier for setup?

bread29

bread29

Junior Audioholic
Something else while I'm at it. Hearing alot about banana plugs. Are they neccesary for a better system or just make it easier for setup?
It's just easier for setup and looks much cleaner. I use the bare wire and it sounds just fine!

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
While it just makes it easier for setup and can help prevent shorts, I consider them a must because they are incredibly inexpensive to pick up.

$10 for ten (5 speakers) shipped to your door.

10pcs Nakamichi Gold Plate Audio Banana Speaker Plug | eBay

They look great, and work very well, and it can end up saving some time with the setup.

I personally just can't stand trying to get speaker wires into the back of a receiver where the connections are all half an inch apart from each other.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis