HTD Level 3 Tower and Level 2 Bookshelf Speakers Video Review

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
That makes since and thank you. I don't understand how they can ship so inexpensively, a pair of double boxed Level 3 monitors weighs 51 lbs. ships for $15, and like you said a pair of 3 towers @ 120 lbs. for $45.:confused:
Having a business account makes all the difference in the world. Especially one that ships a lot. I only have a UPS personal account and I still get better rates than most people quote for things. For instance, on an amp I was looking at the guy selling it had a shipping price of about $120 quoted for an amp that weight over 100lbs. I ran the numbers through the cost estimate on my account and it came to about $85 I think. That's for me, I can't imagine the discount a company that does all their business by shipping would get. Well obviously I can, $45 for 120lbs :D

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
Having a business account makes all the difference in the world. Especially one that ships a lot. I only have a UPS personal account and I still get better rates than most people quote for things. For instance, on an amp I was looking at the guy selling it had a shipping price of about $120 quoted for an amp that weight over 100lbs. I ran the numbers through the cost estimate on my account and it came to about $85 I think. That's for me, I can't imagine the discount a company that does all their business by shipping would get. Well obviously I can, $45 for 120lbs :D
I hear you Alex, I have UPS, FedEx and USPS accounts, the numbers aren't night and day difference with or without accounts but it is a savings especially with packages over hundred pounds, I was shocked to see that USPS won't ship over 70 lbs.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I hear you Alex, I have UPS, FedEx and USPS accounts, the numbers aren't night and day difference with or without accounts but it is a savings especially with packages over hundred pounds, I was shocked to see that USPS won't ship over 70 lbs.
Yes I agree. I don't know about you but whenever I try USPS its not even close to UPS. I don't use FedEx only because they don't have a location within an hour of me, what a pain that is.

ahblaza

ahblaza

I was on the fence between the Level Three Towers and Arx 5 Towers, which I began research on in the eleventh hour. I actually had the Arx 5's in the shopping cart until I saw the shipping charge of $116 to NY. That's what it came down to for me. Now that I have the Level Three Towers I'm very satisfied musically. Yeah, no idea how they pull it off. I've been looking for some short-cut that they must have made in quality. Can't find it. As you already know these are some solidly built speakers.
I won't deny the Level 3 quality, but I believe the deciding factor to go with HTD over ARX just for shipping costs is not necessarily the main reason with going with a particular brand, I'm not throwing my ARX 5's or A1b's under the bus either, I think the shipping costs for ARX to me which is west to east coast is worth it, especially after you hear these speakers.

ahblaza

ahblaza

Yes I agree. I don't know about you but whenever I try USPS its not even close to UPS. I don't use FedEx only because they don't have a location within an hour of me, what a pain that is.
They are indeed redicuosly expensive, the only bargain USPS has if it fits it ships up to 70 lbs. I have several FedEx's within a couple of miles as well as UPS. FedEx is definitely the bargain way to ship really heavy packages, night and day between UPS also.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
They are indeed redicuosly expensive, the only bargain USPS has if it fits it ships up to 70 lbs. I have several FedEx's within a couple of miles as well as UPS. FedEx is definitely the bargain way to ship really heavy packages, night and day between UPS also.
Ho hum, you lucky duck. I guess I should look into Fedex and how much it is to schedule pickups. Maybe they have even added drop off locations. Fingers crossed :D

ahblaza

ahblaza

Ho hum, you lucky duck. I guess I should look into Fedex and how much it is to schedule pickups. Maybe they have even added drop off locations. Fingers crossed :D
Alex, I don't think FedEx charges extra for pickup, as long as you are shipping with them of course, I've scheduled a few pickups of oversized items with no additional charge. I have two FedEx locations close by and quite a few drop off locations, some with actual people and others are just a big mailbox. I would definitely look into scheduling pickups, I had a guy delivering a 103 lb. box and also picking up a 111 lb. box at the same time.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Definitely spending some time in the FedEx website tonight. Thanks for the info, maybe you just saved me hundreds of thousands of pesos :D

ahblaza

ahblaza

Definitely spending some time in the FedEx website tonight. Thanks for the info, maybe you just saved me hundreds of thousands of pesos :D
My fee (bill) is in the mail....;) Good luck bro, glad I was able to help.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
My fee (bill) is in the mail....;) Good luck bro, glad I was able to help.
Well I can only afford to pay you in subwoofer flat packs, but I guess they won't do you much good with 15 subwoofers you already have :p

S

sukihock

Enthusiast
I won't deny the Level 3 quality, but I believe the deciding factor to go with HTD over ARX just for shipping costs is not necessarily the main reason with going with a particular brand, I'm not throwing my ARX 5's or A1b's under the bus either, I think the shipping costs for ARX to me which is west to east coast is worth it, especially after you hear these speakers.
Lots of research was done that lead me to HTD and Arx. All I'm stating is that when it came time to decide which brand would make it into my home for audition HTD became the fiscally more attractive option. Have no idea at this point whether I would like Arx better. knowing me I'm sure one day I'll audition Arx as well. At the moment though I'm very satisfied with not just the HTD product but the customer service I received.

ahblaza

ahblaza

Well I can only afford to pay you in subwoofer flat packs, but I guess they won't do you much good with 15 subwoofers you already have :p
I could easily find room for the sixteenth sub, send a flat pack my way, better yet, I'll buy the drivers and and you supply the CNC cuts and send an assembled Fuzzenstien Audio subwoofer using my FedEx account to my home.;)

ahblaza

ahblaza

Lots of research was done that lead me to HTD and Arx. All I'm stating is that when it came time to decide which brand would make it into my home for audition HTD became the fiscally more attractive option. Have no idea at this point whether I would like Arx better. knowing me I'm sure one day I'll audition Arx as well. At the moment though I'm very satisfied with not just the HTD product but the customer service I received.
I hope you get the chance to audition the ARX 5. The level 3 monitors are very attractive to my old eyes and sound very good, they are indeed a well made speaker, I found them to be less sensitive than the specs dictate and seem to require a bit more power than I thought, they do shine with high current power amps and throw a nice wide stage and seem to image very well. I thought the tweeter to be a bit hot and somewhat forward, but after some time they seemed to settle down and were pleasing to listen to. High value and performance to price ratio. I must say these speakers are eye candy, the finish is pristine.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I could easily find room for the sixteenth sub, send a flat pack my way, better yet, I'll buy the drivers and and you supply the CNC cuts and send an assembled Fuzzenstien Audio subwoofer using my FedEx account to my home.;)
Ill be sure to put you on the list for test cabinets when the time comes :)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I hope you get the chance to audition the ARX 5. The level 3 monitors are very attractive to my old eyes and sound very good, they are indeed a well made speaker, I found them to be less sensitive than the specs dictate and seem to require a bit more power than I thought, they do shine with high current power amps and throw a nice wide stage and seem to image very well. I thought the tweeter to be a bit hot and somewhat forward, but after some time they seemed to settle down and were pleasing to listen to. High value and performance to price ratio. I must say these speakers are eye candy, the finish is pristine.
What are you powering your Level 3's with? Also, how wide is the wall you have them on? Just curious.

ahblaza

ahblaza

What are you powering your Level 3's with? Also, how wide is the wall you have them on? Just curious.
I'm driving them with an ATI AT602 power amp, they are on stands, I had them positioned on 13' wall about 8' apart and 10' to LP. about 4' off front wall and 3' off side walls.
Cheers Jeff

S

STXmiddy4

Audiophyte
Would the Denon 1613 or Onkyo TX-NR616 be sufficient to power the Level 3 towers as well as a sub for a 2.1 setup? I'm building a 5.1 setup possibly starting with these towers

ahblaza

ahblaza

I would look at an Onkyo TX-NR709, most may not agree. Very upgradable design to drive external amps if you decide to do so.

S

sukihock

Enthusiast
Would the Denon 1613 or Onkyo TX-NR616 be sufficient to power the Level 3 towers as well as a sub for a 2.1 setup? I'm building a 5.1 setup possibly starting with these towers
I'm not really into home theater receivers anymore. But just as a point of reference I'm driving my LV 3 towers with an Yamaha A-S500 integrated (85 wpc) and getting good results. Since HTD's 100 wpc 2-channel amp (A-2106) is so affordable, I was thinking about auditioning it. Reviews posted on their site seem to be pretty good also for their multi-channel amp offerings.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis