HT Sub for around 350$

M

Mdude186

Enthusiast
Hey guys, my dad's birthday is coming up and he mentioned he wanted a new subwoofer for his home theater setup. He currently has a Polk 404, although its pretty old. I think he bought it around 5 or 6 years ago. Anyway I was hoping you could help me to help him pick a new subwoofer out. Like i said its basically 100% for home theater but the system is in the basement. The basement is basically the size of the entire house with no close-offs or anything. But the viewing area is very close to the sub/speakers so i think that evens it out a little bit. I'd say the couch is a max of 7 feet (probably more like 5) away from the setup. The price range is around 350$ probably better if it is a little less but I might be able to swing up to 400$ if its really that much more worth it.

Thank you guys!

After doing some looking around i was thinking the BIC PL-200 might fit the bill.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Hey guys, my dad's birthday is coming up and he mentioned he wanted a new subwoofer for his home theater setup. He currently has a Polk 404, although its pretty old. I think he bought it around 5 or 6 years ago. Anyway I was hoping you could help me to help him pick a new subwoofer out. Like i said its basically 100% for home theater but the system is in the basement. The basement is basically the size of the entire house with no close-offs or anything. But the viewing area is very close to the sub/speakers so i think that evens it out a little bit. I'd say the couch is a max of 7 feet (probably more like 5) away from the setup. The price range is around 350$ probably better if it is a little less but I might be able to swing up to 400$ if its really that much more worth it.

Thank you guys!
The sub doesn't care viewing areas, it would "See" entire open basement. In order to pressurise you need something bigger and the only decent capable sub in your price range I know of is PA-150
here : Premier Acoustic PA-150 1000 Watt Powered Subwoo

Make an offer at $375 - they usually accept it

Our in-house expert tested it and it shows a lot of potential - it's not the best sub out there - far from it , but one of the best at this price point
Hopefully your fathers HT Receiver has auto-calibration since this sub needs a bit of equalizing to really shine.

option b)
http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_41&products_id=407

Last edited:
theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
You should strongly consider the PA-150 because it does indeed have a lot to offer, given your particular circumstances. Another one to look into is the Acoustic Audio HD-SUB15. Because of the room size you might be better off getting duals though, something like a pair of the Dayton Audio SUB-1200's or BIC F12's.

If you want to be a little daring you can get dual Earthquake FF12's for the price of a single unit. The copy for this listing seems as though it was written by some amphetamine gulping knucklehead, but the deal might be legit. Or it might not - I can't say for certain - but it seemed worth mentioning nonetheless.

M

Mdude186

Enthusiast
It doesn't exactly have to fill the entire basement, just the listening area. Although nothing is closed off so there is little to no room gain (If i've read correctly in other forums) I could take a picture of the area if you would like. Or try to explain it better haha.

Any opinions on the BIC PL-200 in relation to the PA-150? That seems to be the front runner at the moment. Until i read more reviews on the aforementioned subwoofers. I'm already semi-familiar with the PA, as i've been subwoofer shopping before except mine was geared towards music *cough*HSU-STF-2*cough* And for a much smaller room. But i digress. Thank you for the help so far you've given me a direction in which to start!

bread29

bread29

Junior Audioholic
Due to the fact that there are no walls, the sub is going to try to pressurize the entire basement; not just the listening area. The only way you're going to get decent performance is to place the sub nearfield to the listening position.

I also vote for J-Garcia's Dayton Audio option for best bang for the buck.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
It doesn't exactly have to fill the entire basement, just the listening area. Although nothing is closed off so there is little to no room gain (If i've read correctly in other forums) I could take a picture of the area if you would like. Or try to explain it better haha.
Let me try to explain it more clearly. With normal speakers your distance from the listener assumption would be correct. Unfortunately subwoofers don't work that way unless you're almost right on top of them. In order to give you that feel it in your bones bass they need to move enough air to minutely alter the air pressure in the room. A little sub like the PL-200 will do a decent job in a fully enclosed 1500-2000cuft (14x14x9) room but if you place one in the middle of let's say a 12,000cuft space the effect becomes something like that of a fart in a hurricane because it just can't move enough air. About the only things you can do are A) raise your budget, or B) get the most powerful sub that you can afford and put it as close as humanly possible to the seating location. Like maybe right behind the chair or sofa.

I've never heard that Dayton sub but I'll bet your father would be thrilled out of his mind having a sub his son put together for him or with him. Next year you could get him a second and set them up as end tables. :D

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
For a hundred bucks or so you could build a wall with a door across some that open area and create yourself a slice o'spl heaven.

Last edited:
theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
the effect becomes something like that of a fart in a hurricane because it just can't move enough air.
I've never heard it expressed quite like that, but you certainly do paint a mental image that's hard to forget... :p

M

myculito

Audiophyte
I have a Lava 12" sub that gives good kick for the sub-$350 range.

Google "Lava Subs"

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis