HT speaker upgrade asvice...

D

diceman1000

Enthusiast
i currently have an Onkyo TX SR508with an Infinity TSS 450 setup. the Infinitys sound decent, but i've been looking at upgrading to a little larger drivers.

so, i've been looking at Dayton Audio, Monoprice... all of the low budget stuff as my wife will kill me if i spend more than $200-300 on a new setup. what would you all recommend?

should i get an entire new 5.1 setup? should i get floor standing mains and a new center channel and utilize my current satellites for 7.1? should i get book shelfs and a new center?

i'm quite confused on what route to go...

also, has anyone ever use auto speakers in a home setup? i recently pulled the system from my '02 Blazer before i traded it off and have a set of CDT 6 1/2 mids and a set of SEAS aluminum neo tweeters just laying around, could i build a set of book shelf speakers with them???

what would you do?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Your Infinity system consists of five speakers and a "subwoofer". When you specify $200 -300$, what speakers are you expecting? You might get away with five smallish satellies but not with a subwoofer.

If you can stretch your budget a bit and act quickly, you might be able to get this $200 Jamo package. Add a $200 BIC subwoofer and you should be pretty happy.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
5.1 for $300 is tough.

You might just keep your little satellite speakers and buy a better subwoofer like the PL200 for $278 shipped.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
The Jamo seems like it may be a nice option for you

However - the NHT SuperZero at a special price - will out perform those
little 2 1/2" Infinity speakers across the front - use the Infinity as some
surround speakers.
SuperZero 2.0 | Bookshelf Speakers | Premium Audio Equipment

Also, a lot of people seem to like those Dayton Subwoofers

You choice and option - enjoy

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
i currently have an Onkyo TX SR508with an Infinity TSS 450 setup. the Infinitys sound decent, but i've been looking at upgrading to a little larger drivers.

so, i've been looking at Dayton Audio, Monoprice... all of the low budget stuff as my wife will kill me if i spend more than $200-300 on a new setup. what would you all recommend?

should i get an entire new 5.1 setup? should i get floor standing mains and a new center channel and utilize my current satellites for 7.1? should i get book shelfs and a new center?

i'm quite confused on what route to go...

also, has anyone ever use auto speakers in a home setup? i recently pulled the system from my '02 Blazer before i traded it off and have a set of CDT 6 1/2 mids and a set of SEAS aluminum neo tweeters just laying around, could i build a set of book shelf speakers with them???

what would you do?
Welcome to the forum Diceman,
2-300 and upgrade is usually an oxymoron.. However, there are a couple of options here,
1. Keep the rear 2 speakers and the sub , and pick up a pair of pioneer FS-52's and the CS-22 center. This is an excellent value, within your budget, and a highly likely big upgrade. Upgrade the sub when funds/ WAF allow.
2. The previous suggestions are good too.. Haven't heard any of them though.
The really good news is that you couldn't ask for a better time of year to be contemplating a change with Black Friday and other incentives on deck :)
Cheers, Mac

D

diceman1000

Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies folks.

Sent from my SCH-R760X using Tapatalk

D

diceman1000

Enthusiast
So are the Jamo speakers really made by Klipsch? I keep reading mixed reviews on the Fluence stuff

Sent from my SCH-R760X using Tapatalk

D

diceman1000

Enthusiast
floor standing speakers are out, thw wifey says NO!!! and, the less i spend, the more apt she will be to let me get something... should couldn't care less about it, to her, a single 5x7 dash speaker in an '85 Scottsdale sounds the same as a set of Klipsch Reference towers:D

so, i've been looking at satelites and bookshelves and stumbled upon these Fluance-SX Series Center Channel & Surround Sound Speakers - Black and thought to myself, ya know... my current setup works pretty well, what if i just change out the center, L, and R speakers and use my current L and R speakers as rear surrounds? what do you guys think? should i go the Fluance route? should i just get the Martin Logan when it goes on sale again and have an entire 5.1 system to try and unload? so confused...

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
If floorstanders are out, go with the Pioneer BS22 along with the CS22 center (that macddmac recommended). If you are patient and look for deals around Thanksgiving you should be able to pick up the three for $125-150 shipped. This will be the most cost effective upgrade in your LCR and most certainly an upgrade in your sound.

D

diceman1000

Enthusiast
If floorstanders are out, go with the Pioneer BS22 along with the CS22 center (that macddmac recommended). If you are patient and look for deals around Thanksgiving you should be able to pick up the three for $125-150 shipped. This will be the most cost effective upgrade in your LCR and most certainly an upgrade in your sound.
thank you, the Pios are better than the Fluance then... got it...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis