P

Placebo005

Junior Audioholic
Ok its me AGAIN! i know ive prob bombared the forum with enough of my questions but i have another one.
ok its probably been confronted already, but anyways here we go

I have a Pioneer VSX 515-k and i wanna hook up 6 devices to my pioneer consists of;
TV, Sat, Xbox, CD, DVD, VCR

now i can hook up the sat to my tv input and then output from the tv to the reciever
and then hook up the dvd and everything else, but where would i put the xbox?
i dont want to put it in the tv input cause then i have to disconnect the dvd s-video in order to play and then i lose ability to watch dvd.
wat would u suggest knowing wat the pioneer's i/o's are.

http://pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_4153_209695983,00.html

Thanks in advance

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
If your tv allows, try hooking up all the video sources directly to the tv. How many inputs do you have on your tv. If you have three, you can use two, then hook up anything else to the receiver and switch those sources from the receiver. video is video whether it's an xbox or vcr, unless you are using component or digital hookups.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Which are analog and which are digital?

Placebo005 said:
Ok its me AGAIN! i know ive prob bombared the forum with enough of my questions but i have another one.
ok its probably been confronted already, but anyways here we go

I have a Pioneer VSX 515-k and i wanna hook up 6 devices to my pioneer consists of;
TV, Sat, Xbox, CD, DVD, VCR

now i can hook up the sat to my tv input and then output from the tv to the reciever
and then hook up the dvd and everything else, but where would i put the xbox?
i dont want to put it in the tv input cause then i have to disconnect the dvd s-video in order to play and then i lose ability to watch dvd.
wat would u suggest knowing wat the pioneer's i/o's are.

http://pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_4153_209695983,00.html

Thanks in advance
I know the TV and VCR are analog audio. These wil lneed two analog inputs. The DVD is digital audio. CD is generally analog but could go either way. What are the rest?

C

cuse4284

Enthusiast
seems like you are pretty limited by what the receiver can handle. but i would recommend hooking the xbox directly to your tv if you have more than one set of inputs on your tv. i guess you said your are already hooking your sat up to your tv so you would need another set of inputs. if you wanted true surround sound out of the xbox (assuming you have the advanced or hd av pack) you could connect the video to your tv and connect the digital audio into one of the assignable inputs on your receiver. i have a higher model pioneer which allows you to set the digital in to an auxiliary or other unused device (but it doesnt seem like you will have any unused devices on your receiver). so hopefully you can set it to an aux also. another option would be to pick up some kind of system selector.

P

Placebo005

Junior Audioholic
My TV only has 1 Input and 1 Output - both have left, right and video

Would it be possible to plug like, the xbox in an empty rca port on the reciever, like if i dont have a dvd player, use the dvd player?
is that fine?

C

cuse4284

Enthusiast
yeah, that would work fine. it can go in any port on the receiver that has both audio and video. you could also place it in the vcr port. check your vcr and see if it has some inputs and you could plug the xbox into the vcr and then connect the vcr to the receiver.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Placebo,

I have a feeling you may not be satisfied with that receiver running your new $6000 speakers. Just a hunch - nothing more. You may have gone overboard on the $6000 speakers, and this $275 msrp receiver's specs are nothing to write home about. The rear panel of that receiver is very basic, with very little options on hookups. Let us know how it sounds once it's all hooked up. Try to post some pictures if you have a digital camera below with "manage attachments" and set you digital camera to it's lowest setting. I truly hope everything works out for you. You've definitely made quite an investment there.

Speakers: (I assume their top of the line model) http://www.ikon-audio.com/index.html

Here's the manual. It wasn't available online yesterday :confused:
http://www.ikon-audio.com/pdfs/ikon_manual.pdf

Receiver: (the base model) http://pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_4153_209695983_tab=B,00.html?compName=PNA_ProductDetailComponent

Last edited:
Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
markw said:
You might want to check out this concurrent thread in the speakers forum...

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10028
I'm all over it. I just hope Placebo is too. Trying to get his attention. May send him a private mssg. Kind of feel sorry for the guy, if in fact he did buy those speakers. There's rumor he didn't actually buy them, but who knows. With that receiver - I mean, c'mon.

P

Placebo005

Junior Audioholic
Results are in!!!

The speakers are installed... all in place - they play at normal sound levels fine

turned the tv on....BOOM!
guess what?

for $4000 speakers, they can not even includ magnetic shielding!
my tv was discoloured! i move the speakers away and the discolourment goes away abit, so i detacthed the speakers and the discolourment is STILL there!
I hope that the speakers didnt mess up my tv
im calling them asap tomorrow when rthey open!
i wanna return them but on the reciept it says no refund within 30 days....

they better return them i dont give a crap
cause if they skimp on something as simple as magnetic shielding, who knows what else thgey skimped on!

DAMN hell
i hate salesppl

P

Placebo005

Junior Audioholic
Buckeyefan 1 said:
I'm all over it. I just hope Placebo is too. Trying to get his attention. May send him a private mssg. Kind of feel sorry for the guy, if in fact he did buy those speakers. There's rumor he didn't actually buy them, but who knows. With that receiver - I mean, c'mon.
the speakers and the amp were bought all with one deal, it was part of the package

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
They buried the hat with that system.

Placebo005 said:
the speakers and the amp were bought all with one deal, it was part of the package
An old marketing story goes that a wealthy gentleman walked into a clothing store anfd bought a shirt, tie, suit, shoes and a hat.

Individual prices were talked about but, in the grand tradition of retail, they left a tremendous amount of wiggle room. Since the customer has no idea of the actual cost of the items to the store, he's at somewhat of a disadvantage.

They argued about the pricesand in that argument, the gentleman said he didn't want to pay for the hat. They haggled back and forth. Finally, they reach an agreement, money is exchanged and the customer walks out thinking he got one over on the merchant.

the merchant's assistant saw this and was mortified. He asked why the guy sold the stuff atsuch a low price and gave him the hat to boot. The merchant smiled and pulled out his cost sheets and showed the kid what he actually paid for the stuff and, lo and behold, he actually made quite a handsome proit on thestuff he sold him.

The kid said "Yes, but what about the hat? You gave that away"

the merchant replied "Well not rally, if you look atthe progit I made onthe other items,my cost for the hat is more than made up there. In other words, I buried the cost of the hat in my profits on the other items.

...you paid a LOT more for that receiver than you thought.

P

Placebo005

Junior Audioholic
i dont think so, cause pioneer's site lists the reciever at 275$
and the store sold it for 299 as original price but as the story goes - tthe store gave this GREAT deal :confused: $2000 off of everything and one of the deals was to make sure i advertise the speakers by getting ppl in and checking out the speakers and to never tell neone of the deal

well u know what, i dont care bout the deal no more, the speakers suck, the reciever is ok, but i would have never got it, it doesnt have everything i want, like s-video and what not.

P

Placebo005

Junior Audioholic
Ok I emailed iKon and asked about the shielding, a person from erikson said that the speakers are shielded and require to be 30-36" away from the CRT.......ok....they may be a bit difficult with the lack of space.
so i guess the speakers are not that bad then?

well i guess im stuck with em, gotta make the best of them :(

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
A shielded speaker can rest on top of your tv and not cause distortion. Did you see my post in your other thread. You have an option. I'm not kidding about the cooling off period. Call your local police station and ask. Call a lawyer if you know one and ask. You may have to pay a restocking fee (which may mean you have to eat some dollars) but that is all. They can not refuse merchandise returns within a 48hr. period. If Erickson is telling you the speakers are shielded but that some discolouration is normal, ask them if they are prepared to give that to you in writing. That way when your TV gets irresvesibly discoloured in 2 weeks they will pay for the new one. Those speakers aren't shielded. They are hoping you will go away, plain and simple. If this was $100 I can see you throwing in the towel, but for $3000 I would raise a heck of a stink. If worst comes to worse ask for store credit. Take their top of the line Harman receiver and whatever their best DVD player is. Then buy those Athenas from Futureshop for $400 and enjoy some decent stereo sound and a discolour free TV for a while until you save up enough cash to snag some more speakers. Don't take this lying down.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
Another quick thing. Erickson is also the company that told me that I didn't need to bother registering my JBL speakers, that the receipt would suffice. Guess what. A speaker blew in my first month and it took 3 1/2 hours of arguing with futureshop before they relented and just gave me a speaker off the floor. Erikson is the worst distributer in Canada IMO.

P

Placebo005

Junior Audioholic
Takeereasy said:
A shielded speaker can rest on top of your tv and not cause distortion. Did you see my post in your other thread. You have an option. I'm not kidding about the cooling off period. Call your local police station and ask. Call a lawyer if you know one and ask. You may have to pay a restocking fee (which may mean you have to eat some dollars) but that is all. They can not refuse merchandise returns within a 48hr. period. If Erickson is telling you the speakers are shielded but that some discolouration is normal, ask them if they are prepared to give that to you in writing. That way when your TV gets irresvesibly discoloured in 2 weeks they will pay for the new one. Those speakers aren't shielded. They are hoping you will go away, plain and simple. If this was $100 I can see you throwing in the towel, but for $3000 I would raise a heck of a stink. If worst comes to worse ask for store credit. Take their top of the line Harman receiver and whatever their best DVD player is. Then buy those Athenas from Futureshop for $400 and enjoy some decent stereo dound and a discolour free TV for a while until you save up enough cash to snag some more speakers. Don't take this lying down.
I bought these speakers on friday....its tuesday....cooling off period? no good :( i originally wanted a yamaha reciever with nice energy floor standing speakers and then friday came and the guy kept pushing and pushing and pushing and ARG

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
I'm really sorry placebo, I'm looking around online to see what actions you have open, but it seems like the cooling off period now only applies to in home contracts. The last time I took a law course was a few years ago I'm afraid, and it used to be in home contracts were 10 days, in store it was 48hrs. Now it's just the 10 days at home. I'm going to look for a while more, but so far no luck.

Just for everyone else to see, here's a flyer for World Sound And Vision. WS&V flyer

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
Two quick questions. How old are you and how did you pay for the purchase? Sorry, I've got to know.

P

Placebo005

Junior Audioholic
21yrs old
i put a down payment of $200 via visa

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis