HT Receiver recommendations?

wbhendrix

wbhendrix

Audiophyte
Hello everyone,

like many other posts on here i need serious help :)

I have been doing research for a home theater receiver. Over time i would like to build a great HT system with very high quality sound. Ideally this will be used for music with movies being a second priority.

I listen to all types of music from folk to nearly every form of rock (except death metal). I really enjoy hearing the high's in any music i listen to. I listen to both vinyl & SACD's. I currently have klipsch towers for my main setup but plan on upgrading in the near future to possibly Martin Logan's electrostatic speakers...

i have been looking at the Onkyo TX-NR3009 b/c it is said to have a built in DAC.

Ultimately i keep getting mixed reviews and answers as to what receive to purchase and am really confused. I keep hearing Yamaha has the best sound, then onkyo then Marantz... I want to keep my purchase between $1k-$2k for the receiver alone but if someone told me "spend $2500 on both a receiver and an amp or separate DAC and you'll have superior sound" then i would do it.

lol help!

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
All receivers with a digital input have a built in DAC. That's the part that turns the digital signal into an analog one.

There's pretty much zero difference between the DAC in a modern receiver and a standalone DAC. Besides the price. Get the features you need in a receiver and spend the bulk of your money on the speakers.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I want to keep my purchase between $1k-$2k
All AVR have built-in DAC!

Just call Electronics Expo right now. Ask them to sell you a brand new Denon 4311 for $1225 delivered (MSRP is $2100). They have been selling for $1225.

The Denon 4311 has a fantastic built-in DAC. You will never need to buy an outboard DAC when you have the Denon 4311. You won't need an external amp either. Built in Japan. Oh, yeah.

It will sound as great as any separate pre-pro + amp in Direct mode (no EQ, Tones, DSP).

Last edited:
jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Recommending that someone buy a $1200 receiver when you know absolutely nothing about their requirements is ridiculous.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Recommending that someone buy a $1200 receiver when you know absolutely nothing about their requirements is ridiculous.
He did say he was in the 1k-2k range. ;)

That being said what kind of speakers are we driving. No point in getting a 1k receiver for a set of tiny speakers

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
And no one really cares what you think. :eek: :D

Last edited:
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Except, hopefully, the person spending thousands of dollars on audio equipment.
Unfortunately most of them don't either. :( People don't want reasonable solutions they want to buy for status or aesthetics alone.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Unfortunately most of them don't either. :( People don't want reasonable solutions they want to buy for status or aesthetics alone.
Well then the obvious choice is to go separates.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, this is a hobby after all, not exactly a life crisis. :D

It's not like we are buying a car for safety and reliable transportation or house for safety and shelter or anything really important. :eek:

It's about fun, fun, fun.

If I have a $20,000 budget for fun, fun, fun, I don't want people telling me to spend $2,000. :eek:

And there is nothing wrong with folks wanting a great sounding system that also looks great. :cool:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well then the obvious choice is to go separates.
Okay, now you are just being silly! :eek:

Come on. We have to give other guys the benefit of the doubt. If he wants $1-2K AVR, he already has Klipsch towers, he's thinking Martin Logan, so he is thinking on spending probably $3-4K or more on nice speakers.

The Denon 4311 @ $1225 is quite reasonable with this generous assumption.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis