S

Senact

Audioholic Intern
I am currently in the process of gutting what was briefly my home theater room so I could rebuild with sound proofing, hiding all the wires etc. I have the opportunity to try a few different layouts and wanted to get the opinion of some people here. The pic shows 3 scenarios, I tried to use colors to help differentiate the items.

The room is 22x14x7.5
The yellow are speakers
Magenta is furniture
Blue is a riser (which is drawn 6' deep)
Red is room features (door, bulkheads). Scenario 2 and 3 bulkhead is required because of duct work, but I thought about extending it around the room for a nicer look.

Anyway, my main questions are... I bought a Funk Audio sub, and it's huge, and because my ceiling is so low, I can only get about a 100" 16:9 screen max before it ends up hitting the top of the subwoofer. I briefly thought about a false wall scenario, but the sub is so deep, it pushes the fake wall nearly 3feet out from the back wall, which impacts my room depth plus I want to have a TV in the room as well. So I'm curious if I can get away with opt2 for the sub placement, somewhere in the back of the room. Also, is it OK if it sits ontop of the riser (which is carpeted). It is front firing.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for me? The door can be in either location shown. I think I will put all my equipment in the adjacent room, by the door. Assuming game console controllers and remotes work through the wall in some way.

Thanks in advance for any advice/comments.
layout.jpg

S

Senact

Audioholic Intern
To clarify, I would like to have 120-130" screen, which I would mount to the face of the bulkhead, it would be AT, and come down infront of the center channel. I would then have a TV on the wall behind the screen.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You shouldn't really choose one of these locations without taking response measurements. If you want to get the most out of it, you will likely want to try the "crawl" method first before settling on a location (although a big sub may not exactly be easy to place in your seating position). Simply choosing a location because that's where things fit or look good isn't always the ideal spot for the sub. It should not be a problem to put it in the back of the room though.

Subwoofer Placement - The Place for Bass Part 1 | Audioholics

Crawling for Bass - Subwoofer Placement | Audioholics

S

Senact

Audioholic Intern
It's not so much about looks as it is about getting a larger screen. I just want to make sure I'm not significantly sacrificing audio performance for 20" more screen. I'll check out these articles you've linked. Thanks!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
No, if you placed it in the back of the room in basically the opposite spot, it would more likely than not give you a very similar response in the room, though the room modes would be slightly different relative to the seating position and the calibrated level would be different as well as it would be closer to you. If you place it on the riser and it vibrates the riser noticeably, you can add some foam or something similar between them to decouple it from the riser.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis