Hsu VTF-1 vs SVS SB12-NSD vs RSL Speedwoofer 10s

O

OaktownPete

Enthusiast
at $399 each on black friday (nevermind shipping),which would you choose, and why?

room (den) is ~1800 sq ft, and usage is 80% TV/Movies (HT, I guess) and 20% music.

Gonna eventually upgrade 5 speakers ( my most recent post - Cantons and Focals look interesting),but that's been delayed by sickness in family. I'm running a Cambridge S30-based 3.0 for now. looking to add sub, as my Energy S-10 finally gave out.

this is do-able now, and is a need. so... which one.

BTW - no modern hip-hop/heavy bass on the music front. old-school R&B and acoustic jazz is our preference.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
at $399 each on black friday (nevermind shipping),which would you choose, and why?

room (den) is ~1800 sq ft, and usage is 80% TV/Movies (HT, I guess) and 20% music.

Gonna eventually upgrade 5 speakers ( my most recent post - Cantons and Focals look interesting),but that's been delayed by sickness in family. I'm running a Cambridge S30-based 3.0 for now. looking to add sub, as my Energy S-10 finally gave out.

BTW - no modern hip-hop/heavy bass on the music front. old-school R&B and acoustic jazz is our preference.
It looks like the VTF-1 mk3 does offer a bit higher performance than the others, but it does cost a bit more after shipping, and it is uses a larger enclosure which will always confer a performance advantage. When comparing burst output numbers, the Speedwoofer and SB12-NSD look very close to each other, which is odd given that they are very different designs. The SB12-NSD is the smallest of the three and it also carries the best warranty. Hsu sells an extended warranty for an additional $40 the VTF-1 that exceeds the SVS warranty. I would say given that your usage is mostly HT, I would go for the Hsu or SVS since they have deeper bass extension than the Speedwoofer.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

I own SVS subs and the RSL speedwoofer 10s since your mostly on the home theater side Is say SVS or HSU although they both sound good with music too. But they'll have an advantage over the speedwoofer 10s all day any day in home theater and I like the RSL it just can't hang in that area

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis