HSU STF-3 or SVS PB-12NSD?

T

Titleist1

Enthusiast
Room is 15x16

I am waiting on my x-cs and x-ls system to arrive, so I am wanting to get a sub picked out. I listen to both music and HT, but primary would be HT.

What are your thoughts? HSU STF-3 or SVS PB-12NSD??? Which one would outperform the other?

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
One of the other members did a side by side he noted that the pb 12 nsd was better for H/T but for some reason the hsu stf 3 sounded better for music. I myself haven't compared the two. I have however, seen them both and the svs build quality is much better then hsu IMO. That said, either sub would fill your requirements. :)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
PB-12 has lower tuning now, but the PB-12 is still larger than the VTF-3 or STF-3. The STF-3 has not really changed since Ed's review AFAIK, but the PB-12 has for sure, and for the better. I really liked the VTF-3 MkII - it does sound great with music, but still has good rumble for movies; it reminded me about why I liked my VTF-2 so much. I haven't heard the STF-3, but in this case, I'd have to say go with the PB-12.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
j_garcia said:
PB-12 has lower tuning now, but the PB-12 is still larger than the VTF-3 or STF-3. The STF-3 has not really changed since Ed's review AFAIK, but the PB-12 has for sure, and for the better. I really liked the VTF-3 MkII - it does sound great with music, but still has good rumble for movies; it reminded me about why I liked my VTF-2 so much. I haven't heard the STF-3, but in this case, I'd have to say go with the PB-12.
The STF-3 and VTF-3 are very similar in presentation. If you plug one port on the STF-3, you'll get that VTF extension, but with a bit less power. And from what I've seen, I guess Hsu is providing turbochargers now for both models.

Incidentally, Dr. Hsu is now talking about adding an aftermarket device he calls a supercharger. It mounts to the opening where the amp goes, and expands the size of the chamber/box, thereby changing the tuning of the sub. The amp then is mounted to an opening in the supercharger. Interesting stuff. More spls, deeper subsonic presentation...all with turbo/supercharger add-ons.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
rjbudz said:
The STF-3 and VTF-3 are very similar in presentation. If you plug one port on the STF-3, you'll get that VTF extension, but with a bit less power. And from what I've seen, I guess Hsu is providing turbochargers now for both models.

Incidentally, Dr. Hsu is now talking about adding an aftermarket device he calls a supercharger. It mounts to the opening where the amp goes, and expands the size of the chamber/box, thereby changing the tuning of the sub. The amp then is mounted to an opening in the supercharger. Interesting stuff. More spls, deeper subsonic presentation...all with turbo/supercharger add-ons.
Hm.

I wonder when NOS and Blowers will be used.. :rolleyes:

SheepStar

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
rjbudz said:
You can't tune the STF-3, it is a Single Tuning Frequency unit, which is the equivalent of the VTF-3 in high output mode, and the STF-3 does not have the ability to reconfigure its amp for max extension mode the way the VTF-3 does - there is a switch on the back that you must configure based on whether you have one port plugged or not (either adding or removing boost is my guess). My VTF-2 said if you plug one port and don't change the amp's setting, you could damage the sub.

Sheep said:
I wonder when NOS and Blowers will be used.. :rolleyes:
Have you seen the HO (High Output) version? It already looks like it has a blower on it :D

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Have you seen the HO (High Output) version? It already looks like it has a blower on it :D
Thats not a blower, that's a hood scoop.

Hood Scoop:

Blower:

SheepStar

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
LOL. Technically it is an (OEM) upgraded exahust though...:)

B

BMO

Junior Audioholic
There is a nice review by a customer over at Hsu about the SVS PB 10 vs the STF 2.While not a 12 psb or STF3 it is very well reviewed.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
BMO said:
There is a nice review by a customer over at Hsu about the SVS PB 10 vs the STF 2.While not a 12 psb or STF3 it is very well reviewed.
You meant NSD right?

SheepStar

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
BMO said:
I owned the VTF-2 and the PB-10. VTF-2 was a bit better with music, but came nowhere near the extension of the PB-10. Downside between the two was the PB-10 was quite a bit larger. I kept the PB-10.

M

mkinder

Audioholic Intern
That's where I'm stuck, trying to decide between the STF-2 and the PB10. I like music and movies, my floorstanders go to about 40hz. Here's a pic of the room, 15x15x9.

after12.jpg

after13.jpg

after15.jpg

T

Tdekany

Junior Audioholic
j_garcia said:
You can't tune the STF-3, it is a Single Tuning Frequency unit, which is the equivalent of the VTF-3 in high output mode, and the STF-3 does not have the ability to reconfigure its amp for max extension mode the way the VTF-3 does D
For an extra $50 you can order the stf3 in Max Extension mode.

The miss information that one can find on forums is amazing :rolleyes:

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Tdekany said:
For an extra $50 you can order the stf3 in Max Extension mode.

The miss information that one can find on forums is amazing :rolleyes:

So is misspelling, lol. :rolleyes:

But you are absolutely correct about the STF-3. There are amp mod instructions available around the net, as well. (Though, let's not forget warranty provisions.)

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
j_garcia said:
You can't tune the STF-3, it is a Single Tuning Frequency unit, which is the equivalent of the VTF-3 in high output mode, and the STF-3 does not have the ability to reconfigure its amp for max extension mode the way the VTF-3 does - there is a switch on the back that you must configure based on whether you have one port plugged or not (either adding or removing boost is my guess). My VTF-2 said if you plug one port and don't change the amp's setting, you could damage the sub.
:D
You are incorrect, John, as has been reported (albeit, a tad caustically). Hsu reports that, amp mod aside, it is in fact quite safe to plug one STF-3 port...which achieves an overdamped response ("tighter" sounding perhaps). The low bass response is improved. (In this state, it is not EQ'ed for the flattest response, however.) What is dangerous to the sub is to run a VTF-3 in max extension mode with both ports open.

Last edited:
T

Tdekany

Junior Audioholic
rjbudz said:
So is misspelling, lol. :rolleyes:
tell me about it!

It is unbelievable how badly english speakers (I am not) spell the most basic words.

T

Tdekany

Junior Audioholic
rjbudz said:
But you are absolutely correct about the STF-3. There are amp mod instructions available around the net, as well. (Though, let's not forget warranty provisions.)
I have one direct from Hsu.

S

silversurfer

Senior Audioholic
Apparently the STF-3 and STF-2 are on sale now at Hsu. 20% off.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
silversurfer said:
Apparently the STF-3 and STF-2 are on sale now at Hsu. 20% off.
Good find, SS. This is terrific pricing. Anyone in need of a quality, potent sub and who doesn't particularly care about those last couple of audible Hz should jump on these.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis