HSU STF-2 vs Velodyne DPS-10 & Downfiring vs Frontfiring

Quadzilla

Quadzilla

Audioholic Intern
Hi All,
Anyone know if theres a big difference in performance & quality between these two subs? Also, is a down-firing better than front or vise versa? I have an HSU STF-2 and am happy w/it but don't like that the controls are in the back, I'm in a wheelchair making it hard to reach. Also, I thought I read that down firing subs sound best when placed in the corner of the room, thats tricky as theres a heater in the only corner where I could place it, right now my sub is beside my wall unit. Do front firing subs have to be placed in corners?

Thanks!

Dan

T

thundergust

Audioholic Intern
I believe most of the time, a sub should be placed in the corner for the best performance, regardless of front or downward firing.

I have neither a HSU or Velodyne, but I am willing to bet that the HSU will be a better sub.

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
The DPS10 was one of my first subs, but it's been awhile and though I've heard the VTF2, it's tough to remember. I liked the Velos SQ, but I believe the Hsu was cleaner below 30hz and more defined in the upper bass. The front controls on the Velo were more of a problem for me because you could never tell where the volume was set. Later I picked up a SPL meter, so it wouldn't have been a problem. So with a meter, the controls would work for you.

Can you swing an in house trial via the CC 30 day return special? This would give you a better idea of how they compare. I may be selling the Velo short.

nibhaz

nibhaz

Audioholic Chief
Corner loading subs, is trick used to get the maximum SPL out of the sub, however the trade off is almost always a less linear frequency response. So if your objective is maximum boom, then corner loading is the way to go. But if sound quality is your primary objective, then corner loading is rarely the ideal placement for your sub. This is true whether you have a down firing or front firing sub.

T

Tdekany

Junior Audioholic
I have both in the house. There is no comparison. 2 very different animals. If the velo is a GTI, the stf2 is a ferrari. That is how much better the Hsu sub is.
I know many on these forums want you to believe that HSU subs are "pretty good" compared to another brand, but one listen will tell you why Dr Hsu is considered a genious by real professionals when it comes to audio. The stf 2 is an animal. Try it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis