Hsu Research VTF-TN1: Deeper Bass for a Lower Cost!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
TN1 angle.jpg
It has been a while since Hsu Research launched a new subwoofer (the terrific but now-discontinued VTF-1 mk3, for anyone keeping track). However, that has now changed with today’s release of the VTF-TN1. The VTF-TN1 replaces the venerable VTF-15h MKII. For a long time, the VTF-15h MKII was one of the leaders in high-performance bang-for-the-buck deep bass, but Hsu has figured out how to improve performance while cutting the price by cleverly reconfiguring the enclosure. In an era of rapidly increasing prices for the same qualitative characteristics, Hsu’s improved performance yet lowered cost has to be considered a minor miracle. The VTF-15h MKII was $1,245 but the VTF-TN1 is $1,199. Read our preview to get a first look at Hsu Research's latest creation.

READ: Hsu Research VTF-TN1 Subwoofer Preview

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
It has been a while since Hsu Research launched a new subwoofer (the terrific but now-discontinued VTF-1 mk3, for anyone keeping track). However, that has now changed with today’s release of the VTF-TN1. The VTF-TN1 replaces the venerable VTF-15h MKII. For a long time, the VTF-15h MKII was one of the leaders in high-performance bang-for-the-buck deep bass, but Hsu has figured out how to improve performance while cutting the price by cleverly reconfiguring the enclosure. In an era of rapidly increasing prices for the same qualitative characteristics, Hsu’s improved performance yet lowered cost has to be considered a minor miracle. The VTF-15h MKII was $1,245 but the VTF-TN1 is $1,199. Read our preview to get a first look at Hsu Research's latest creation.

READ: Hsu Research VTF-TN1 Preview
(link to go live morning of 3/14)
Ohhhhhhh me likes can't wait to see Shady get his hands on this baby! :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Whoever flips the switch on "going live" must've been involved in a Starship Launch Party this morning.

:p

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
@shadyJ @gene
Dunno what's going on, but I was able to access the article directly through google search, however even after clearing my cache and history, Safari will still not show the link in OP here.

If anybody else is having difficulty:

:D

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
That said, great write up, @shadyJ ! On paper, this looks like a supremely excellent Sub.

Do you expect to get one for a full review?

J

JTongret

Enthusiast
This small footprint form factor is surprisingly under served in the market. I like what Hsu did with this one.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
This small footprint form factor is surprisingly under served in the market. I like what Hsu did with this one.
I do too I like it when they build the subs higher and don't extend them out over the floor length wise I like how RBH does the same with their dual 12's

squared80

squared80

Enthusiast
The best bang-for-buck subwoofer on the market just got better, and cheaper. Thanks, Dr. Hsu!!

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
OMG those things are huge. The left and right fronts look like satellites that sprung from the mother ships. The whole system needs to be upsized to match. Impressive for only $1200 US.

L

Luky.Kluk

Audiophyte
Nice write up James @shadyJ . I look forward to your great review.
Btw another example how close ports can be to wall/floor without any problem. It's just few inches.

Last edited:
R

Russ56

Audiophyte
I was surprised that the weight decreased substantially to ~85 lbs. I sent Hsu a note to ask how that was possible without decreasing the thickness of most of the MDF material comprising the cabinet. They said getting away from the triangular ports saved a lot of it.
I think it was quite clever to rethink the enclosure and port designs of the 15H MK2 instead of going after the latest greatest driver or amp. I suspect they wanted to avoid moving away from those components since they're common throughout most of the sub line and have been for a long time. That's pretty key from a supply chain/manufacturing standpoint.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis