slovell

slovell

Junior Audioholic
Just got my Hsu VTF-3 MK4 and this thing is a beast. One question though. Is it better to use the sub crossover in my Marantz AV 7005 and defeat the crossover onboard the Hsu or vice versa. I have Klipsch KLF-20 mains that can produce a substantial amount of bass on their own so right now I have the 20's crossed over at 60hz and the Hsu crossed over at 60hz using it's onboard crossover. Everything else is crossed over at 80hz. I also have one port blocked and the eq set at position two on the Hsu. The lowest I can crossover the sub using the Marantz is 80hz.
Regards, Sam

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
I'd set a global crossover with the Marantz @ 80 Hz set your mains to small and be done with it. Rerun audessey and adjust it.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I'd set a global crossover with the Marantz @ 80 Hz set your mains to small and be done with it. Rerun audessey and adjust it.
+1, just turn off the crossover on the subwoofer, and use the AVR's crossover.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The lowest you can set the x-over is that way because you've assigned speakers at 80Hz, thus it won't let you set it any lower than that for the sub - as it should be. Since you've done this, there's no reason to use the x-over on the sub itself. That adjustment is there for when you have a system that does not have bass management and need to dial it in yourself. If it has a bypass mode, use that, otherwise turn the x-over all the way up so it does not combine with the AVR's x-over.

slovell

slovell

Junior Audioholic
OK, right now I have LFE+Main, the sub's crossed over at 80hz, the mains are at 60hz. The center, side surrounds, and rear surrounds are all set at 80hz. I've defeated the Hsu's crossover.

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
OK, right now I have LFE+Main, the sub's crossed over at 80hz, the mains are at 60hz. The center, side surrounds, and rear surrounds are all set at 80hz. I've defeated the Hsu's crossover.
You don't need lfe+main, you don't want your mains to get lfe
Again global 80hz, lfe to sub, mains to small.

slovell

slovell

Junior Audioholic
Changed LFE+Main to LFE, sounds nice so far. According to my Marantz the mains (Klipsch KLF-20s) are now getting a full signal. These speakers have two 10" woofers each. Why should I cross them over at 80 as they'll go much deeper on their own? Just asking.

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
Changed LFE+Main to LFE, sounds nice so far. According to my Marantz the mains (Klipsch KLF-20s) are now getting a full signal. These speakers have two 10" woofers each. Why should I cross them over at 80 as they'll go much deeper on their own? Just asking.
You could do a 60 hz crossover with them still set to small. Your sub will handle the lfe much better than the two tens in the klipsch and won't tax your amps in the lower frequencies. My mains have a f3 of 31hz and I still cross mine at 80hz when the subs are in use.

slovell

slovell

Junior Audioholic
That's where I ended up. Mains at 60 and the rest at 80.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis