How would you connect these components, what cable's, which routes, etc. Help!

S

Seedless

Audiophyte
Hello Outhere...

I am hoping you can help me end some of my twisted cabled thoughts and output me toward some direction, for the most part. I currently have a Pioneer Elite VSX-90TWV main reciever, a Pioneer Elite DVD/CD/SACD player DV-48AV, hooked up to an ehh... Mid 90's Zeith Tub-type 42 incher'ish which has the usual cable/antenna in connection than the usual [for than] 1 set of audio R/W and a Video out/in? [yellow] an S-video output/input? Also a separate R/W audio output [RCA style output plugs R/W] which I have connected thru a Radio Sack RF Modulator [dont ask? ha]. First speaker set is my main L/R tall standing Polk loudspeakers. Polk Audio Book Shelf Speakers a Polk 10-inch sub, LFE and R/W audio line balance outputs a couple other doohickie switches and knobs. I will fill in the exact speaker info later because I cant find all my papers at the moment, just got back from vacation, blahblahblah, etc.

Anyways, I than have a pushing 8" mids? and 2" tweeters Yamaha speakers [older'ish] or what I sometimes use as mid's... ? I sometimes use them as the left/right surround speakers, the Polk Bookshelfs as Rear Surround L/R and my bigger Polk Loud Speakers for the front L/R channel. With the Polk 10" sub. Center Channel I have yet to purchase a decent one currently running an older JBL or sometimes Yamaha but this speaker nedds updating. Continuing...

I was running my Dads old Audio Source Record Player [I am 30], with an older Pioneer Receiver/Amp powering it and running out to usually the old Yamaha mid's I talk about above or occasionally out to my Polk larger Loudspeakers. All Separate from my Pioneer Elite Setup, somehow??? the record player is broke...??? wasn't me... Hrmm So, in the process of buying a new record player and possible a better and updated amp because I do believe my current Pioneer Elite Receiver does not allow for Phono output??? Correct me please technically if I am wrong, I would like to have the record player and possible my old Pioneers receiver or new amp or whatever I made need for decent phono output amp, hooked into the same system as my DVD/CD, TV, etc. I also need a new Center any suggestions would be great, would like to keep the price down on that as well I dont know... Doesn't matter.

Also I somehow lost the code for the Zeinth TV Remote so I cant get to all the functions, I can find out the exact model when I list the correct speaker info just need to find my papers, I have tried all the codes even the ones Pioneer recommends. So I cant use my TV remote mainly out of lazyness to call Zenith, but here not now is the case, in the end I dont want to use the remote I want it controlled thru my Main Reciever/Amp the Pioneer Elite VSX-90TWV. I have Optical Cord connection between the DVD/CD player [planning to get deadecated [hehe] CD player] and I dont run any HDMI well because I cant run it to my tv as I have now outputs the tv is outdated and is my next major upgrade staying with a Pioneer Elite tv semi soon, winter is coming up in Chicago, brrr...

I would be curious as to how you guys would go about connecting all this using what wires, different cables, amps, etc. lay it all out. Mainly because I am positive there is better ways to connect my connections than currently connected and curious as to suggestion and in need of some friendly kind help.

Will Update with exact speaker info and older Yamaha speakers and Pioneer receiver, and the specs on the sub also. I know the TV is a major obstacle at this point but it wont be eventually but for 1-3 more months I have decided to deal with it. Looking for some input for some nice online shopping for recent, reasonable record players and what ever kinda amp I run for that or if I run it thru or what not basically I am thinking some thing new.

So if I place this in the wrong section of this board I apologize as this is my first post and just beginner here at this board. Hi, my name is Seedless I live in Chicago currently, and if your interest goes farther than that some of my writings are at junkylife . com/seedless. Thanks for your help please dont judge me from what you read from my writings as that is a facet of me that is well not meant for this board.

Whoops, I also run the cable antenna [TVstraight from the basement from a splitter to 3 bedrooms upstairs and the downstairs home theater and my bedroom rela0out chilloOut room with a bed, computer, tv, and some jammin tunes and a few other things. I need to get a cable box or some I don't wont to go dish but DIVO'sih, DVR set-up. Ultimately ending up with a 1-2 terabyte storage of music and movies/pics accessible all thru WMC [Windows Media Center, and thru my TV and Pioneer Setup along with the phono Record player with its own speaker set and amp but yet still intragrated with my Pioneer set-up network and a nice pioneer Elite big flat screen soon. I would like to steer clear of Windows but I don't feel like purchasing a deadicated Apple computer for this system yet. But am intrested in suggestions for media centers and storage, etc.

Thank You,
Seedless

Last edited:
yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
100 reads and no attempt at answer??? hmm...
I'd honestly just try to make do without the TV if you are shipping it out soon...

A lot to read at 5:30am for an insomniac.. but avoid Monster Cable.. and really outrageously priced cables in general.

Good interconnects are sold by Blue Jeans Cables and Monoprice.
BJC is a sponsor here, but his cables are excellent in quality and perhaps a little more than Monoprice in some instances. I would buy from BJC if I had the money to upgrade just one of my old cables. lol.

If you are getting this caught up and confused about hookup... personally, I'd go for a good 2 channel setup. Yeah, I know it's not surround... but I started out with a 5 channel surround system (Yamaha HTIB) and now I run 2 channels exclusively.

It's much simpler, works better in smaller rooms, and for the price that you would spend on 5 speakers, you can get 2 very good speakers if you so decide to go that route.

A Logitech Remote might be your friend with the all the gear you have. Even with the Logitech, don't throw away your original remotes though.

So... to recap...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speakers: Model Numbers
Pioneer Elite VSX-90TWV Reciever (dunno how old it is... I only saw TXV)
Pioneer Elite DV-48AV DVD/CD/SACD player
(the rest gets confusing)

Work from there.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
Since your CRT TV does not have an HDMI or DVI input, and to make better use of your universal DVD player, I would connect it to the Pioneer Elite VSX-90TWV a/v with 5.1 multichannel analog cables (RCA type cables, just like your Red and White audio cables), if it has multichannel inputs. This will enable SACD and DVD-A playback in High Resolution audio.

I haven't read all of your post because it is simply too long for my patience.

After connecting your speakers to your receiver with audio cables, place the Front left and right speakers so they are at 30 degrees from your sitting position. Place your rear speakers so they are at 110 degrees from your sitting position.

Connect your sub with a proper interconnect cable to your receiver sub output.

Setup speakers in your receiver and adjust speaker volume with the aide of an SPL meter or at least speaker by speaker by ear.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis