how would this diy sub compare ?

J

jkgsxr

Junior Audioholic
I saw this diy sub and was wondering how/what popular id subs it would compare to? I know the diy sub would also have to include a pro 1kw amp for power and there would be other costs in materials and finishing. I was more interested how or what it would compare too on a sound level more so than cost, not that cost doesn't matter :) thanks

Dayton Audio 18" Reference Series HO Subwoofer and Cabinet P | 300-7094

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
That driver does pretty well, here are some measurements for it. Remember though, you aren't likely to get as much mid and upper bass as what that tester did because he is using a 12 kW amp. Still, even a 1 kW amp will make that thing rock. Put a Behringer iNuke on it and it will pound your ears. Nothing could really compare to that for the same price.

J

jkgsxr

Junior Audioholic
So how would it compare to say a psa xs 15 or xs 30 or rythmik f15hp?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
So how would it compare to say a psa xs 15 or xs 30 or rythmik f15hp?
The XS30 is a monster and I very much doubt that with an inuke it'll be able to hang in there, in terms of raw output. However, all this is a moot point once the sub is properly dialed in. Once level matched and properly placed in the room both should be similar, with the XS having a bit more headroom and extension.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I think it would hang with a XS30. Look at the measurements for the XV15, now add 6 dB except around port contribution, I think that is what you can expect from the XS30. Another thing, the Power X driver isn't the greatest in the world, it would face linearity problems which the Dayton would not be subject to.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
The XS30 is a monster and I very much doubt that with an inuke it'll be able to hang in there, in terms of raw output. However, all this is a moot point once the sub is properly dialed in. Once level matched and properly placed in the room both should be similar, with the XS having a bit more headroom and extension.
TLDR: Dayton is amazing sub, but only at short-term. At long term is suffers from (likely) thermal compression and develops a nasty THD below 30hz at and above 110db - which is nothing to sneaze at, but XS30 is leaps and bounds better sub overall, but not 4x times better

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
If you aren't looking to build something don't buy a DIY project. If you are looking to build something why not go all the way instead of using a kit. You can do better for the price IMO.

J

jkgsxr

Junior Audioholic
If you aren't looking to build something don't buy a DIY project. If you are looking to build something why not go all the way instead of using a kit. You can do better for the price IMO.
I wasn't looking to build something but am not opposed to it. I guess it would be a better comparison if the Dayton sub was available assembled but it's not. I was just trying to get an idea what it would compare to. I figured about 800 for the Dayton kit, amp and finishing. Now would the Dayton sub be a direct comparison to subs in that price range, psa xv 15 svs pb 2000 ect. Or would it compare better to something a little more costly psa Xs or xv 30 or svs pb 12 plus or sb 13 ect.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I think it would hang with a XS30. Look at the measurements for the XV15, now add 6 dB except around port contribution, I think that is what you can expect from the XS30. Another thing, the Power X driver isn't the greatest in the world, it would face linearity problems which the Dayton would not be subject to.
Which I don't think would be a problem. If we're looking at real world use with proper level matching those linearity problems don't really come into play, especially after the crossover is implemented. Futhermore, without the measurements of the actual subwoofer in question, the XS30, there's not way to know exactly what the distortion measurements will look like. I have to believe it will be lower for not other reason than you're asking two drivers to produce the same SPL as a single driver in the XV. The alignment may also help keep distortion down, but we don't know until it's measured.

TLDR: Dayton is amazing sub, but only at short-term. At long term is suffers from (likely) thermal compression and develops a nasty THD below 30hz at and above 110db - which is nothing to sneaze at, but XS30 is leaps and bounds better sub overall, but not 4x times better
Where did 4X better come from? Price?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Where did 4X better come from? Price?
Yes, comparing xs30 vs dayton kit. I guess my 4x number needs some adjustments to include price of amp and minidsp. So total could be closer to 2x

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Yes, comparing xs30 vs dayton kit. I guess my 4x number needs some adjustments to include price of amp and minidsp. So total could be closer to 2x
I'm on board with that assessment, but don't forget you also have to factor in warranty and CS. That could be mitigated depending on where you buy all the pieces from for a DIY sub, but there's something to be said for the ability to call up PSA say you have an issue and for them to immediately ship you out a replacement.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for DIY :D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I wasn't looking to build something but am not opposed to it. I guess it would be a better comparison if the Dayton sub was available assembled but it's not. I was just trying to get an idea what it would compare to. I figured about 800 for the Dayton kit, amp and finishing. Now would the Dayton sub be a direct comparison to subs in that price range, psa xv 15 svs pb 2000 ect. Or would it compare better to something a little more costly psa Xs or xv 30 or svs pb 12 plus or sb 13 ect.
I'd say it probably falls somewhere in between the two. Don't forget that as a sealed DIY sub it will need some EQ in order to get any sort of extension with it. So you'll have to factor in the cost of a miniDSP or something to make sure you're getting the most of the driver which is another $160ish.

Also, there are some other subs that offer pretty competitive performance around that price range. The Dayton Ultimax is close in price, as is the Stereo Integrity 18", the Mach 5 IXL-18 Mk2, and the Pierce Audio 1K 18" are all fairly close in price while offering pretty darn good performance. There's also Fi Audio, Obsidian Audio, and a few others with drivers around that price point.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis