How vested are you in TV?

I was just thinking the other day about how very un-vested I am in television these days. A lot of my friends are ditching cable in favor of OTA antennas, Hulu & Netflix. It's like we all woke up suddenly and realized we're paying $75-$100/month for something we barely use... thoughts?

majorloser

majorloser

I hardly ever watch local broadcasts so my OTA setup is just a backup. I watch all of my programming mainly from Dish satelite. But even that is mostly from the DVR.

Netflix deliveries suck and I just don't have a fast enough connection from DSL right now to bother with much streaming. Once I move over to a faster ISP maybe I might try more streaming, but video quality will need to be higher than 480p.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Hi Clint,

We as a family are very vested in TV but it's the "cable stations" for me and my son. My wife enjoys ABC/NBC/CBS/FOX (along with various cable channels) but I only watch them for some sports. So OTA would be all but useless for me. Hulu and the like are still something we need to look at...yes, I'm a late adopter.:)

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
I only watch only about 6 or 8 channels of HD stuff like science channel, discovery, etc. I refuse to watch todays tv shows. I hate paying 80 bucks a month for just a few channels but cable is more and has even less to offer. I love the idea of the Netflix streaming, but on the one roku and two Samsung Blu-ray players we have the quality for me is not just not good enough on an HD set, and not being in 5.1 is inexcusable. I would drop the sat dish in a heartbeat of Netflix gets their act together, and I could get the shows I want.

majorloser

majorloser

I would drop the sat dish in a heartbeat of Netflix gets their act together, and I could get the shows I want.
I'll second that!

If Netflix could just fill my queue in a timely manner. Seems like every new release is alway "long wait" and "very long wait". I wait sometime two months before getting new release movies. By that time they're longer new. I usually have at least 20 items in my queue that have waits involved and most a long wait items.

Matt34

Matt34

I watch whatever my wife watches as far as cable shows go otherwise it's mainly renting/buying season box sets of the shows I'm interested in. I'm always a season or two behind.

We mainly keep DirectTV for my wife's cooking shows and for my mother-in-law when she comes over M-F to watch the kiddo while we are at work.

J

jamie2112

Banned
I watch many comedy central shows as well as most "good"cable stations....so I kind of like my cable.When I get off tour I just want to veg out and watch the tube for a few weeks or so........:D

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
I got rid of cable TV over 6 years ago and I don't miss it. The decision was more for budgetary reasons. I wanted to buy a new car. Honestly, the rates kept going up and all I saw was hundreds of channels with nothing I wanted to watch most of the time.

Now I have a fairly large collection of BluRays and DVDs plus a subscription to Netflix. The only thing I really put the TV on for is Packers games and college basketball and the occasional public TV program.

I followed Dollhouse on Hulu because I was never home to watch it. I had to wait for the DVDs and BDs of Battlestar Galactica so I could watch that. Other than those, there are very few shows that I feel compelled to watch. I'm tempted to check out Lost and a couple other shows but I don't feel like I'm missing much if I don't see them.

Jim

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I have the fancy IPTV with a million channels and 4 high-end TVs yet I watch about 30 minutes of news a night.

It's my duty as an Audioholic to have all this.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
CRTC = content blocked to Canadian ISP. We're going to be in the stone age forever.

I need cable because otherwise the CBC would only give me Coronation Street, Corner Gas and Little Mosque on the Prairie. Maybe I could even catch a few episodes of the Beachcombers now and then.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
CRTC = content blocked to Canadian ISP. We're going to be in the stone age forever.

I need cable because otherwise the CBC would only give me Coronation Street, Corner Gas and Little Mosque on the Prairie. Maybe I could even catch a few episodes of the Beachcombers now and then.
I have to say that I like CBC for a few programs: This Hour Has 22 Minutes, Rick Mercer, News, Sports, etc. Their dramas and comedy shows on the other hand, suck in technicolour. Plus, the CBC pisses away far too much of our money.:mad:

A friend of mine used to work for Global News as a cameraman. He took a job with the CBC, so that he could move here. Well, he went from having 3-4 jobs and one boss, at Global, to 1 job and 3-4 bosses at the CBC.:rolleyes:

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Plus, the CBC pisses away far too much of our money.:mad:

A friend of mine used to work for Global News as a cameraman. He took a job with the CBC, so that he could move here. Well, he went from having 3-4 jobs and one boss, at Global, to 1 job and 3-4 bosses at the CBC.:rolleyes:
:D It's funny because it's true.

I can't stand Rick Mercer. I change channels every time I see his face...hopefully before I have to hear his voice. I have never watched This hour has 22 Minutes or Air Farce. One minute is more than I can stand. The whole network is a total waste of tax dollars when those dollars are being used to outbid private networks that also want to provide the sports broadcasts.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
We have DirecTV. I only watch a few shows on the major networks, NCIS, Bones, House, Heros. Then it is the other HD channels History, Discovery etc. when I have free time. Most times if I have time to watch anything in the theater it will be a Blu-Ray and not TV or a DVR'd show.

We don't stream anything yet. We only have DSL and will probably never have the chance for more due to where we live. I will integrate at minimum a WHS box to store music and movies and depending on the settop box I choose I may add or start to use some of the other services (hulu etc.)

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I ditched cable because our provider stunk. We use netflix and OTA.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I could drop TV right now. I am thinking about switching to dish to get the super cheap deal just to save money because I don't actually watch that much TV, especially since I got Netflix. Between OTA and $20/mo dish, I would have more than enough to watch. My cable bill has gone steadily up with no real benefit and I am really starting to get tired of it.

tesseract

tesseract

Audioholic
OTA DTV box, for now. I still have yet to join the 21st century, I have an old JVC 27" that gets turned on once or twice a month, tops. This is mostly to watch the $1 rentals I get from the mom and pop store down the street. These folks never charge me a late fee, even though I usually am late.

I have a 32" Hitachi I took from someone that owned me money, it sits in the garage because the JVC has a better pic and I keep telling myself that SOMEDAY, I will be getting an HDTV.

W

wesley63

Junior Audioholic
My wife and I are too far out for OTA. I would have to mount an antenna on the root, and then it would still be iffy.

I watch quite a few shows live: House, 24, Lost, Burn Notice. We're on Dish Network.

njedpx3

njedpx3

Audioholic General
I am a TV Junkie

I hate to admit it but I am a TV junkie especially crime, detectives and mysteries. ... as as ITCHRIS will understand -- food channels

I was only able to go 2 weeks at my national woods cabin before I got basic satellite with DVR.

I also like Netflix and Netflix streaming

===

But I also like high quality audio and high quality video :):cool::) .

I try to buy the best that I can afford ( or think I can afford :rolleyes: )

Please give me a break and don't hold it against me; I am sorry I am a TV junkie :D

Peace, GOOD TV and Good Audio,

Forest Man

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
I guess we're very vested in TV. We hardly watch any OTA programs, mostly cable channels, Discovery, Science, Sci-Fi, Chiller, Sleuth, USA, FSN, AMC, TCM, and so on. Got rid of Netflix a couple years ago and I hardly ever go to Hulu.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis