How to operate 12V trigger to switch Monitor Audio GXFX surrounds from Dipole to Monopole?

A

addictaudio

Audioholic
[/COLOR]Folks, the MA GXFX surround sound speakers have a manual switchfrom Monopole to Dipole mode, but this task can also be performed electronically via the Denon 4311 receiver (amplification will come via an Emotiva XPA-5). I was told that the 12v trigger optionautomates the switching between monopole and dipole, versus switching it manually by the switch on the front of the GX FX's. I was told thatI need 2 mono 3.5mm jack plugs and some cable to go from the amp to thespeakers. If so, can someone point me to where and what type/model that I need? When they refer to cable going from the speaker to the amp, are they just refering to the speaker cable in itself, or do I need another cable? Below is a link to a picture of the switches:

Monitor Audio - Gold GX-FX - Surround Speaker-Audio Advisor

<o:p> </o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
<v:shape style="width: 441pt; height: 316.2pt; visibility: visible;" id="_x0000_i1025" type="#_x0000_t75"> <v:imagedata o:href="cid:image002.png@01CDC249.56BFBD60" src="file:///C:\Users\James\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image003.png"></v:imagedata></v:shape><o:p></o:p>

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
Why would you want to be switching these on a regular basis? Generally you'd just find which works best for you/your room and stick with it.

A

addictaudio

Audioholic
Why would you want to be switching these on a regular basis? Generally you'd just find which works best for you/your room and stick with it.
Because for movies, dipole works best, and for say five channel musical Blue Ray, the monopole setting works best. I want to be able to do it via the trigger, versus having to remove the grill on both speakers and have to do it manually each time that I want to switch surround modes. These will be mounted to the side of the listening position in a 5.1 setup.

G

Grador

Before you get invested in this idea I'd suggest you listen to both music and movie content both ways and try to make an unbiased judgement as to the benefit of having them set different for different content. What you'll need to make this happen is a cable like this Comprehensive Mono 3.5mm Mini Male to Male Cable - 6' MP-MP-6ST going to the surround speakers. I could find no information as to how the automatic switching actually worked, only that it could be done. Presumably you'll also need some manner to turn the trigger on and off manually as your equipment doesn't have intrinsic knowledge of what type of content you're listening to.

A

addictaudio

Audioholic
I can't copy the images, but there appears to be instructions on pages 27 and 105 of the Manual for the Denon 4311 on how to activate the trigger.

A

addictaudio

Audioholic
I definitely want to be able to operate with both modes, as there is no point in purchasing such a speaker, if not going to do so. Not to mention, that in monopole, only the woofer and ribbon tweeter in the front baffle will function. In dipole mode, all woofers and two side tweeters are playing, but not the ribbon transducer. Check out the image below:

Monitor Audio - Gold GX-FX - Surround Speaker - Demo-Audio Advisor

G

Grador

That circular logic is not terribly good, I agree that buying this speaker may not be the best idea if you aren't going to switch them, but switching them only because you bought the speaker isn't a good idea either.

But on to making this work: It sounds like the manual is saying that you'll be able to set trigger 2 to turn on when you select a specific source. You can use this if you're multichannel music source will be different than your movie source. If not you can use the second zone as a "switch" so to speak for the monopole/dipole switch. Trigger 2 can most certainly be set to turn on with zone 2.

Edit: I would like others to come in with opinions on the idea of this speaker. I'm not really comfortable commenting if it's a good idea or not. Personally I'm leaning to saying no, but I lack sufficient knowledge to really want to tell you it's not.

A

addictaudio

Audioholic
^^^ Maybe I did not come accross correctly, or I was misunderstood. The point is that the speaker is designed to be used in different configurations, depending upon the source, and not mean to ONLY play in dipole OR Monopole, but in both modes at different times, when desired. I just need to have my ducks in a row regarding what I need to purchase in order to make this happen, versus having to manually do it. Again, dipole is desired perhaps for moview with a difused surround sound effect, and perhaps with a 5 channel blue ray, the monopole configuration would work best.

G

Grador

^^^ Maybe I did not come accross correctly, or I was misunderstood. The point is that the speaker is designed to be used in different configurations, depending upon the source, and not mean to ONLY play in dipole OR Monopole, but in both modes at different times, when desired. I just need to have my ducks in a row regarding what I need to purchase in order to make this happen, versus having to manually do it. Again, dipole is desired perhaps for moview with a difused surround sound effect, and perhaps with a 5 channel blue ray, the monopole configuration would work best.
I got all of that, I think you need to reread what i wrote.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
If you want to do this, then you will need a 1/8" (3.5mm) mono jack to a open ended wire connection.

The 1/8" mono jack can be found here:
1/8 Mono Phone Plug (2-Pack) : Phone Plugs | RadioShack.com

It is identical to a headphone plug, but instead of three rings (tip, ring, sleeve), it only has two ring - tip and sleeve.

You will need to solder to get this to work properly, but you will want a piece of wire that reaches from your speakers to your A/V receiver. Not speaker wire, but a light gauge wire like a 20 gauge between the receiver and the speaker.

Then, you would solid the two conductors to the plug. One wire to the tip, the other to the sleeve.

Alternatively, if you can find it, pick up a 1/8" mono to 1/8" mono cable that is long enough to reach.

Connect one end to these two screw down terminals:

Then the other end plugs directly into a 12v trigger on your Denon.

You will need to use TWO 12v trigger ports on the Denon I suppose, or perhaps wire them in series or parallel? Not strong on that part.

Here's a place that sells 10' versions:
10 Foot 3.5mm Mono Cable, Male - Male

You just cut one end off, strip the wire back, and you will have two wires underneath that you can use.

Or maybe one like this and you can cut it in half:
25 Foot 3 5mm Mono Plug to 3 5mm Mono Plug Audio Cable DVD LED LCD TV iPod Zune | eBay

Since the Denon has two 12v outputs, you should be able to have them both work identically if you aren't already using one.

G

Grador

Since the Denon has two 12v outputs, you should be able to have them both work identically if you aren't already using one.
He's presumably using one for the amp, so wiring them in parallel or using one of these ET-3 Trigger Expansion Module | Emotiva Audio | High-end audio components for audiophiles and videophiles, spanning 2-channel music systems, as well as 5.1 and 7.1 home theaters. Products include multichannel amplifiers, stereo amplifiers, and monobl or something will be required.

A

addictaudio

Audioholic
HI guys, yes, the Denon is the source, and the Emotiva XPA-5 will provide the power. Holy Moly, this appears to be very labor intensive or not? If too much trouble, I will just have to do so manually. I cannot do so myself, but figured since the installer will have to come back to reinstall my speakers, that this could be accomplished relatively quickly? How much time are we looking labor wise?

G

Grador

It's literally just running the two cables.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
It is running the cables I indicated above, and a competent installer can do this, no problem, but if you hav all your wires run behind your walls, then this would likely not be 'easy' if you want the wires hidden. It is a new wire, so it takes as much time as it takes. Perhaps 1-2 hours if you want it dressed in really nicely and completely setup for you along with materials.

G

Grador

After you get them hooked up you'll still need to decide how you're going to have them triggered. As I said, the most convenient way would be to set your receiver to turn on the trigger out for a certain source, but that only works well if you only have one multichannel music source and it's not also a movie source. Otherwise you're going to be left with some form of manual switching of which there are a few ways to go.

This also hinges on one other thing: how exactly the speakers react to the trigger input. I looked at the manuals and they merely state that this is possible to do but goes into no detail on how it works.

A

addictaudio

Audioholic
Good point guys. the wires are all in-wall. I am not technologically savvy, so I thought taht perhaps there would be a switch on my universal remote that would allow me to switch from monopole to dipole setting.

G

Grador

Good point guys. the wires are all in-wall. I am not technologically savvy, so I thought taht perhaps there would be a switch on my universal remote that would allow me to switch from monopole to dipole setting.
You could set that up in a roundabout way. If you're not using the 2nd (or 3rd, either one) zone you can set the receiver to active the trigger when that zone is on. In effect this would make the zone 2 power button a monopole/dipole switch. Since I could find no info, you may need to suss out experimentally what exactly the trigger input does though. My seat of the pants feeling is that whenever the trigger is on the speaker will do the opposite of what the front switch is set to, but this could very easily be wrong.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis