how to merge 2 5.1 outputs

M

Mesh

Enthusiast
ideally what I want is a small box with 3 coax inputs, 1 volume slider for each and 1 coax output which is a merged output from all 3 inputs at once

unfortunatly the above seems to be wishful thinking, even after perusing 2000$+ "pro audio" hardware lists, which wouldnt even do the above properly.

dvd, tv (digital box) and pc, each has a 5.1 coax output, my speakers can take either coax or optical input (just one), and my end goal is having all 3 playing as one (weird I know, but hey, I like multitasking).

so any help would be greatly appreciated,

I'm nowhere near a DIY guy so even if the easiest route would be build my own, I do not possess the knowledge to do so,

thanks in advance,

Mesh

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

You want to be able to hear all three outputs at once? That would sound pretty miserable. I think what you are really asking for is a switch that can switch multiple outputs to the one input on your speakers. There are plenty available even at radio shack. You could just buy an inexpensive receiver too.

M

Mesh

Enthusiast
no it is NOT switch I want, it's a merger, a mixer, whatever you want to call it, switching is useless since at least 2 are playing together at the same time,

and btw, ive yet to see even a switch which is 5.1 and not stereo

Mesh

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Zektor makes some switchers for 5.1 sources, although I realize that's not what you want. Just out of curiosity, what do you intend to do with your mixer?

M

Mesh

Enthusiast
what i intend to do is quite simple, use any of the above 3 sources on as one,
such as playing on the pc while watching a dvd or tv, or both or any combination of pc, tv and dvd,

basically I want to go from:

audio = 3 sources -> 3 outputs
to
audio = 3 sources -> 1 output

Mesh

U

Unregistered

Then buy a mixer, that sounds like what you are really after.

M

Mesh

Enthusiast
I'm afraid youre stating the obvious without helping much at all,

try finding one, I have, none to be had so far,

if you know of one, tell me where to find it,

one of course not of the 1000$+ category with about a hundred "features" I'll never have a use for, all without doing what i DO want well at all,

Mesh

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Any prosound or musicians supply place would have some mixers. I've bought from Lentine's Music with good results, and Parts Express also sells them. Depending on the features you need you can get one from about $125 on up. Ebay is also a good place to find one cheap.

M

Mesh

Enthusiast
show me one which isnt stereo and with coax 5.1 inputs and outputs then maybe i'll believe it, so far, only stereo pos are what have been found, including said 'professionnal' shops with hardware going over 1k that can't even do such a simple task as i require from it

and btw, us shops are worthless to me as i'd get overcharged on customs if i was to order from one

Mesh

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Since we're stating the obvious, let me get this straight.

When you say "coax", you are refering to the 5.1 digital feed and not an analog signal, right?

So, you're looking for what appears to be what looks and acts like a mixer, except that it will work with 5.1 DD/DTS digital bitstream, not simple analog signals, right?

If so, I don't think such a beast exists, at least to my knowledge.

Since these 5.1 bitstreams are a buncha ones and zeros that are in a specific order, not simple analog signals, I can't even fathom how the DAC on it's output would be able to separate one stream from another.

Last edited:
M

Mesh

Enthusiast
as i originally posted, the end goal is to make at least 2 streams from pc, tv or dvd output into one, and since all of the above are of the 'dolby digital' or such types, i'd guess those would be the 1 and 0 kind, and you've probably understood now why none of the so called solutions even in pro shops seem to be adequate, even if the box i'm looking for has a fairly simple and straightforward purpose,

Mesh

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Yes, I do understand why everything you have seen won't do what you want.

But, do YOU understand that I don't think what you are looking for exists? ...different signal types require different handling.

That's kinda like saying I just want a simple skateboard, but I want one that flys like Marty McFly's did in BTTF2. Simple in concept but not in execution.

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
Sorry, I'm going to be a little mean here, but it sounds like your're tired of searching and want someone else to search for you.

Now, I'll try to be helpful, but you may not like it. What you want (basically an 18 plus channel digital mixer) does exist. But they start at about 10k for a Yamaha 02R96V2. Google Sweetwater and give them a call. They'll know better than anyone here and there.

Last edited:
M

Mesh

Enthusiast
markw:
all 3 sources use the same encoding, so apart from decoding->merge->reencode I don't see what the box im looking for would have to do
of course, this assume someone out there actually created such a box.

mudcat:
be mean all you want, I HAVE searched, I HAVE posted on more then one forum, so I hardly care if you think swinging the finger at me is gonna help.

Theoretically the device is quite simple, unfortunatly it falls in the category of items that would be great to have yet none of the 'technology designers' have a clue about em, they prefer gimmicks with no practical uses or end goals.

Fact is I HAVE looked at devices well above 5k, just in case they did have the stats required, and I've yet to find just one that does.

Mesh

U

Unregistered

Mesh said:
Theoretically the device is quite simple, unfortunatly it falls in the category of items that would be great to have yet none of the 'technology designers' have a clue about em, they prefer gimmicks with no practical uses or end goals.
Mesh
How is what you want to do not a 'gimmick with no practical use'. I think it is exactly that. If the device you envision is theoretically simple, surely you could build it yourself.

M

Mesh

Enthusiast
even if i had the technical knowledge do to so, i'd still have one problem:

know any place that sells dolby digital decoding and encoding chipsets for purposes in DIY electronic circuits? didn't think so,

proprietary tech is always a pain in the you know what when the companies dont use it in the ways you wish they would,

btw, remain guest if you wish, but you could at least sign a nick

Mesh

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
You might be on to something.

First, do a market study and see how many people would be interested in this thing. Then, with those numbers in hand, commission someone with the technical know how to design what you want. Then, again, when you have an idea what it will cost to actually make and market it and turn a reasonable profit, do another market study and see who is willing to pay what it will cost.

While you're at it, see about that skateboard for me, willya?

Seriously, if you HAD any technical knowhow to begin with, you would understand what you are asking and how impractical it is. That "propritery tech" crap is just that. The theory is out there for all who wish to can understand and do what they need to do. All it takes is a little elbow work and knowledge.

You are starting to sound like the guy who wanted an $.89 adapator from Radio Shack that would convert the input from a cable TV outlet into a composite video output.

M

Mesh

Enthusiast
have fun arguing and having flame wars over junk unrelated to this post, I'm gonna try finding an actually helpful response, elsewhere,

Mesh

Francious70

Francious70

Senior Audioholic
Hey hey HEY!! Quit arguing.

You could try this with Y-Splitter and faders from Radio-shack
Code:
Source 1 ------> Fader---->  \_____________>\____________>Output
Source 2 ------> Fader---->  /              /
               Source 3 ------> Fader----> /
Crude drawing, but I hope you get what i'm trying to say.

Paul

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis