How to hook up my sub?

M

mattyz101

Audiophyte
I have just purchased a YST-SW215 Sub from Vann's and then also bought a Yamaha HTR-5860 reciever. I have a couple of Klipsch Synergy III bookshelf speakers and am wondering if I connect them into my sub and then hook my sub to my reciever? I am pretty new at all this. If someone can give me a hand that would be great!!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
How much did you get that sub for? I've used Yamaha's subs before and I didn't find them to be that great, but if you got a great price then maybe it is OK.

You will use a single RCA cable from the receiver's subwoofer preamp output to the sub. The speakers are connected directly to the receiver and then you will set the crossover point in the receiver to direct the bass to the right place - the sub. In the receiver you will need to set it to sub=yes and set the speakers to small.

M

mattyz101

Audiophyte
j_garcia said:
How much did you get that sub for? I've used Yamaha's subs before and I didn't find them to be that great, but if you got a great price then maybe it is OK.

You will use a single RCA cable from the receiver's subwoofer preamp output to the sub. The speakers are connected directly to the receiver and then you will set the crossover point in the receiver to direct the bass to the right place - the sub. In the receiver you will need to set it to sub=yes and set the speakers to small.
Thanks - my Yamaha sub is a cheap $100 sub and though I haven't had a chance to listen to it as I am waiting for my Receiver, I have heard that it's pretty good for the price, but we'll see. I have a monster cable - do I hook it up on my sub to either of the "L" or "R" mono inputs?

jcsprankle

jcsprankle

Audioholic
mattyz101 said:
I have a monster cable - do I hook it up on my sub to either of the "L" or "R" mono inputs?
If it doesn't say anything on the back (or in the manual) about which one to use if you only have a single input, you can use either. Some subs works a little better if you use a "Y" splitter so you can connect to both. However, I haven't heard a difference with my Velo so you should be fine using either one.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis