How to control monitor speaker sound with remote.

T

thebloodynine

Audiophyte
I'm thinking of buying this monitor
SAMSUNG MD32C Black 32
and using it as a tv, but would like to figure out how I am going to control the sound. Is there a certain type of speaker I can buy so I can control the sound with a remote. It has a tv tuner built in, does that mean a remote will work with it?

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Not sure I get the question. Surely you know that a TV has speakers, and therefore its remote will control the sound?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum!

You can download the manual for that TV from the Samsung website. It comes with a remote control that will let you adjust the volume. I can say for sure that the included remote will adjust the volume of the built-in speakers on that TV. What's unclear to me from skimming the manual is whether the 3.5mm audio output on the TV (that you would connect to a receiver/amp or powered speakers) is controlled by the volume on the TV or not. If it is, then you don't have to worry about controlling the volume any other way. If it isn't, then you would need a separate volume control on your external speakers (e.g. volume control on a receiver).

T

thebloodynine

Audiophyte
Thanks a lot for the help Adam. What do you mean by volume control on a receiver, and could I control that with a remote?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
A receiver, either stereo or multichannel, is going to let you adjust the volume of any speakers connected to it. Almost all receivers these days come with remotes, so yes - you can control it with a remote.

With a receiver, you'd be using unpowered speakers because the receiver will power them. You could also hook up that TV to powered speakers (which would have audio inputs for the audio cable coming from the TV, a power cord, and a volume control of their own), such as powered "monitors" or a powered soundbar. Some powered speakers come with remotes and some don't.

T

thebloodynine

Audiophyte
Thanks again for the detailed responses. It seems the displays I was looking at are for digital signage which usually display static images. Would gaming cause ghosting on them? This one seems more like a tv (NEC E464) but I cant find any reviews on it though, so im not sure how accurate their input lag statement is.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis