D

dmoore2145

Audiophyte
Is it possible to connect an optical port on my tv to a 3.5mm connector on my wire headphones (sennheiser rs160)

Dan Madden

Dan Madden

Audioholic
In a word......NO !! Optical is a digital cable requiring a digital to analog conversion process. Headphones are analog requiring an analog signal.

Dan Madden

Dan Madden

Audioholic
Agreed. Can't do it.

But this little Fiio DAC would connect via optical, and then you would have analog output for your headphone transmitter: https://www.amazon.com/D03K-Digital-Analog-Audio-Converter/dp/B009346RSS
Good and agreed! Like I said, you would need some sort of DAC. I was not aware that something portable was available to do this. However, there appears to be no volume control on this thing so I'm guessing it was more designed to be used with the RCA outs and less for directly connecting headphones to it.

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Good and agreed! Like I said, you would need some sort of DAC. I was not aware that something portable was available to do this. However, there appears to be no volume control on this thing so I'm guessing it was more designed to be used with the RCA outs and less for directly connecting headphones to it.
There are a few on parts express that have volume control from $30 an up.

Dan Madden

Dan Madden

Audioholic
Is it possible to connect an optical port on my tv to a 3.5mm connector on my wire headphones (sennheiser rs160)
Your TV must have a set of stereo RCA outputs on the back no? If so, a much better option would be to buy a small headphone amp and connect it to those outputs on the back of your TV. This will give you volume boost and control as well.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis