how to connect two 6 ohms speakers (on one channel) in a 6 ohm amp

P

prabhjeet128

Audiophyte
hi,
i have a 6 ohm amp and also two 6 ohms speakers. so can i use these two speakers on a single channel and how?

Last edited:
jinjuku

jinjuku

Parallel vs Series connection

Once you have hooked two speakers up to one channel the load presented to the amp will no longer be 6 ohm.

If you connect in a series the load will be 12ohm, if you connect in parallel the load will be 3 ohm. If your amp is 4 ohm stable you will most likely be able to get away with it. I wouldn't go jumping on the volume knob though. You would be safe with 12 ohm.

J

JonBaker99

Audioholic
What is the application? Are you running distributed audio? You may need to get an impedance matching speaker selector or volume control.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Once you have hooked two speakers up to one channel the load presented to the amp will no longer be 6 ohm.

If you connect in a series the load will be 12ohm, if you connect in parallel the load will be 3 ohm. If your amp is 4 ohm stable you will most likely be able to get away with it. I wouldn't go jumping on the volume knob though. You would be safe with 12 ohm.
This is correct. I would add my voice to the recommendation for series wiring. The result will be an easier load for your amplifier to handle. Whether you would get away with a parallel wired setup would depend not so much on the nominal impedance but the extremes of impedence across the frequency spectrum.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis