How to connect Polk Audio PSW10 subwoofer?

J

jetz9335

Audiophyte
Does anyone have experience with Polk Audio PSW10 subwoofer?

Unlike the other subwoofer that I had before, this guy has two input called L and R. I understand that this is left and right, but...

So I'm a little bit confused how I should connect my unamplified subwoofer output from the receiver (HK AVR-635) to this guy.

Right now, I just connected the subwoofer output from the receiver to L only and found it just works fine. The cripy manual for PSW10 says it has unfiltered LFE input, but I don't see any such thing. I expect it is only available in PSW12.

Should I buy a Y cable that can distribute the single subwoofer output to both of L and R input on the subwoofer? :confused:

In case it help the manual is:
http://www.polkaudio.com/downloads/manuals/home/PSW10_12_Manual.pdf

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
Today, many subs require only one interconnect cable from the receiver to either the left or the right RCA input. And as you said, it works.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
If you buy a Y adapter you can connect to both the L and R inputs on the sub. The sub will sum the signals to mono anyway. They only thing that accomplishes is a slight increase in level - something you can also accomplish with a twist of the volume knob on the back of the sub.

R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
hmm.
I think each input is for each voice coil.
I know that's how it is on my sub.

To test it, you could do what MDS suggested, or just run wires from Lf +-, to Rt +- and see if you notice a difference.

Reorx

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
MDS said:
If you buy a Y adapter you can connect to both the L and R inputs on the sub. The sub will sum the signals to mono anyway. They only thing that accomplishes is a slight increase in level - something you can also accomplish with a twist of the volume knob on the back of the sub.

The signal was always mono; that's how it comes out of the receiver. What you do get is a slight increase in input voltage which should allow you to have a bit cleaner signal, though you really only need to do this if your sub goes to "sleep" before it should (in auto mode). EX: during a movie that doesn't have a lot of sub activity, the sub shuts off. The slight gain in input voltage will usually solve this.

Check your manual again, it should say if R or L should be used for a single connection, or it may not matter which you use, since as MDS said, the signal is summed back together anyway.

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
jetz9335 said:
The cripy manual for PSW10 says it has unfiltered LFE input, but I don't see any such thing. I expect it is only available in PSW12.
.....somebody help me out here....does a powered sub have any inputs or settings applied to the term LFE, or is that only designated at the receiver-level?....in other words, does the sub simply accept what is sent from the surround receiver, full-range signal L&R "OR" subwoofer-out, be it LFE'd or not?....and how does that term above "unfiltered" apply?.....

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Unfiltered, in the case of Polk, means an input that has the sub's internal x-over bypassed, AFAIK. My previous sub had a switch for this, but many subs do not have a way to bypass their x-over, so you would set it to its highest point.

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
j_garcia said:
Unfiltered, in the case of Polk, means an input that has the sub's internal x-over bypassed, AFAIK. My previous sub had a switch for this, but many subs do not have a way to bypass their x-over, so you would set it to its highest point.
.....thanks, JGarcia....so the unfiltered word means you can kill the sub's ability to cut, ok.....

E

Eberd

Audiophyte
Connecting Polk Audio PSW10 subwoofer blues

:eek: I'm having the same problem connecting this subwoofer. There is no "LFE In" coax port, nor is there any direction to connect with a Y adapter.

Furthermore, there is a schematic instructing the connection of front speakers from your receiver into the back of the subwoofer left and right "inputs" and then back to the front speaker from the subwoofers left and right "outputs". My concern here is, my receiver (Pioneer VSX-D509S) has 100W/channel, and now I've run this through a subwoofer with a 50W RMS amplifier.

Have I just reduced my receiver's output by doing this?

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Eberd said:
Furthermore, there is a schematic instructing the connection of front speakers from your receiver into the back of the subwoofer left and right "inputs" and then back to the front speaker from the subwoofers left and right "outputs". My concern here is, my receiver (Pioneer VSX-D509S) has 100W/channel, and now I've run this through a subwoofer with a 50W RMS amplifier.

Have I just reduced my receiver's output by doing this?
If there are no line level inputs, only speaker level inputs, then you have no choice but to connect that way. Note that Polk had an article on their site recommending the speaker level hookup (as per your schematic) over the line level hookup, but that article is way out of date and their reasoning no longer applies (their reasoning was that receivers had a fixed xover and you get more flexibility using the xover in the sub).

Using the speaker level connections, you are not reducing your receiver's power. The 50w rating for the sub is the amount of power it has to amplify the low frequencies. The xover setting on the sub determines which frequencies it keeps for itself. The outputs to the main speakers will be (relatively - it may have a fixed high pass filter) untouched. The signal from the receiver is already amplified if you use speaker level connections.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Your sub isn't using the power from the receiver, it is just stripping off the signal when you use the speaker level inputs. The speaker level connection is not how I would recommend you connect it if your receiver has a sub pre-out. If the 10 has only one line level (RCA) input, then that is what you should use. If it has two inputs, use a Y splitter.

E

Eberd

Audiophyte
Fresh from Polk Audio

I just got off the phone with Polk Cust Svc (after waiting 1 hr and 15 min on hold!!) They were very nice is stating that although there is both a left and right coax hookup (specifically tailored for older receivers) only one is necessary for proper performance. (There is no need to go buy a Y-adapter to hook the Sub Pre-out from the receiver into both R and L channels.) One connected with a quality RCA cable, turn the "Low Pass" know all the way up to 160. (This is the filter that will limit the frequency the sub will pay up to). In other words, you want to max-out the frequency of the filter.

The rest of the adjustments can be made with the volume control on the back of the sub (recommended that the receiver subwoofer volume be set at 50% - to taste)

Hope this helps, I know I'll be disconnecting all the unnecessary speaker connections into and out of the back of that little sub this evening, and replacing them with a solid single RCA connector!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The reason for using the Y is because it gives the sub's amp a little more input voltage. Too low of an input voltage and the thing may shut off when watching something that doesn't have a lot of bass. I had a 202 and this is how I used it, but it isn't necessary unless the sub actually shuts off when it shouldn't.

E

equach2324

Audiophyte
psw10problem

I just had psw10 and pioneer vsx-1016 and could not connect the subwoofer to work. The only front speakers work fine.

I connect the pre-amplifier subwoofer output from the receiver to Line R/L (tried) of psw10 but didn't hear anything.

The receiver setting for the front speakers and subwoofer are: small and yes.

I check power, the phase, and frequency crossover. Where else should I look?

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
You should use one only RCA type connection at the subwoofer. No matter if it's left or right.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It MAY matter if it is left or right on some subs, so try both if there are two. I seem to remember there were two different inputs on that sub - LFE (bypassed x-over) and regular (R&L) input. Since you are feeding it an already crossed over signal, just use the LFE input.

E

EnzoPolotso

Audioholic Intern
Make sure Sub is set to ON on your reciever, set the crossover to say, 80hz as a starting point.
Plug a subwoofer cable (RCA to RCA) from SUB OUT or LFE OUT on your reciever to Input L (or R) on your sub. Turn the sub ON, crossover ALL THE WAY UP, and put the gain up about halfway. You're done.
This isn't rocket science guys. If you REALLY want, you can get a Y cable to plug into both the L and R inputs on the sub. Why are the guys here having such a difficult time? I don't mean to be condescending, it's just 1-2-3.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
For the Polks, you don't need to use a Y, it has an LFE input (vs L & R) which bypasses the x-over. This is what you use when you are feeding it an already crossed over signal.

Darkbreeze

Darkbreeze

Audiophyte
I realize this is much older thread, but having come across it myself I feel compelled to contribute to the conversation. Regarding the LFE input, I'm not sure what model you are referencing in regard to that but I'm looking at a PSW10 sitting right next to me and there is NO LFE input anywhere on it. It does not exist. So that information unfortunately is not applicable to this subwoofer, which is what this thread was supposed to be about anyhow. Perhaps the PSW12 has one, but the PSW10 Polk subwoofer does not. At all.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The PSW110 has an LFE input separate from the L&R RCA inputs. The ancient PSW10 does not, but the L&R inputs are effectively the same thing in the case of the PSW10, they just don't bypass any controls like the LFE input would.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis