how to biamp a multi-channel receiver

I

icarus11

Audiophyte
thank you in advance for your help. Ive got a set of snell type e iis with 4 speaker inputs on the back of each. they are being driven by a B&k avr307 which has 7 channels at 150w each. right now i have it set up with a simple 2 channel system driving just the two snells. Ive been considering bi wiring my speakers but havent heard any convincing argument to do so in terms of improvement. I was considering bi amping if this is even possible. on to my question: could I keep the speakers set-up as is but the add speaker wire for the rear speakers from the amp to the spare/unused terminals on the back of the speakers? Would this effectively bi amp the setup? thanks very much

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
You need to check your receiver's owners manual for instructions on using it in a bi-amp mode, or if it's even possible with that unit.

But, if it is possible, you will be running a separate speaker wire from the two amps (per channel) to BOTH speaker terminals on your speaker BUT, and this is a very big BUT, you must remove the jumper that joins the two speaker terminals on the back of the speaker.

I

icarus11

Audiophyte
You need to check your receiver's owners manual for instructions on using it in a bi-amp mode, or if it's even possible with that unit.

But, if it is possible, you will be running a separate speaker wire from the two amps (per channel) to BOTH speaker terminals on your speaker BUT, and this is a very big BUT, you must remove the jumper that joins the two speaker terminals on the back of the speaker.
Thank you that is very helpful. There is currently no jumper on the terminals as I am running it now. Should there be?

I

icarus11

Audiophyte
Thank you that is very helpful. There is currently no jumper on the terminals as I am running it now. Should there be?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I would think so. If those speakers are truly bi-wireable, without that jumper joining both halves of your speaker system, with only one set of speaker cables you'll only be getting sound from one half of that speaker system, unless they use some kind of switch which would be new to me.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
My 2c - jump the Plus and minus terminals (separately of-course) and forget about bi-amping.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I have a B&K AVR507, which was the successor to the 307. It's manual never mentions bi-amping, and I'm assuming the 307 also cannot do that. Bi-amping through an AVR receiver is a more recent "fashion trend" that in reality is a dishonest promise. Receiver manufacturers who make such claims are doing a disservice. These B&K receivers were made before that particular type of dishonest marketing came into fashion.

The power output of those receivers are similar, possibly identical, and they are powerful enough to drive all the speakers I've tried. I suspect your Snells are also more than adequately driven by your receiver.

If you don't have jumper wires in place on your speakers, how do you have them wired? One set of black & red terminals drives the tweeters, and the other set drives the woofer. If you connect a short wire between both black terminals, and another between both red terminals, you will drive both from one cable running from your receiver.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You don't :)

I setup a 307 for a friend before and it most definitely cannot biamp.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis